Wiki Posts
Search

Antigua airport info needed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Antigua airport info needed

I will be doing a trip to Antigua from LGW in the not too distant future and have read horror stories about the queues there. I have also heard that there is a fast track arrivals system which you can pay for. Does anyone know anything about this and if so, how it works? We have a bit of a tight connection to make with Liat so need to speed things up as much as possible.

And - does anyone know if I get any TPs with Liat? Thanks all.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: Ba gold
I got back yesterday from ANU,
on arrival off BA2157 it took about 30 mins to get to the front of the immigration Que., we were right at the back of the plane tho as it was lightly loaded so mrs Cobb and myself had 3 middle seats each which meant we were last off the plane, when we left on Sunday evening, from checking in to arrival in the upstairs lounge took about 20 mins. 3 seats each on the way home too.
No tp's with liat I'm afraid
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
I was there on the BA flight last Easter, and it took about an hour - we were at the very front of Y as well, I think the problem is that there are a couple of other flights that get in around the same time, so you can be unlucky (whereas the VS flight we got the prior year gave us a clear run at the desk). People at the back of the plane would have had another 30 minutes or so on top of what we had to endure...

Afraid I'm not familiar with any fast track process other than that I saw families with very small children randomly being pulled out of line to go to the front. Tried to get my 8 year old to look sad and pathetic, but it didn't work...
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:42 am

Admittedly haven't transferred through ANU onto a Liat flight since 2011, so anything might have changed, but back then there was a separate transfers desk and security check point, so you didn't have to clear immigration and check in as a "new" passenger again. It also meant you didn't have to wait in the massive immigration line, but instead walk up the side of it (lots of angry looks / tut-tuts) to access the transfer desk which was right at the front but to one side. Don't wait in the massive general immigration / exit queue to get to the front and discover a deserted transfers desk!

(This is assuming BA will check your bag through to the final destination, otherwise you will need to exit with everyone else and check in again. VS did for me, even though they have no codeshare with Liat, but it was all on the same ticket / PNR).

In reverse you will need to allow plenty of time because (I believe) Liat agents can’t check a bag all the way through to London, so you have to collect and check in again at ANU.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:47 am

a) Nothing moves fast in the Caribbean and b) LIAT has never had an on time departure in 20 years.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by speedbird001
a) Nothing moves fast in the Caribbean and b) LIAT has never had an on time departure in 20 years.
I have probably done 20+ sectors with them over the years, and never experienced a delay of more than 15-30 minutes. Which is not *ideal*, but not as bad as everyone makes out. On one more memorable occasion, though, a passenger noticed his suitcase lying on the tarmac as the plane merrily taxied off from the stand.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by speedbird001

Thanks all, for the comments. As for the delays, this is one occasion when I'll be delighted if they are running late - and I'll be looking out for that suitcase on the tarmac!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by gypsyjaney

And - does anyone know if I get any TPs with Liat? Thanks all.
Sadly not! I wish.

Enjoy Antigua and the flying. Liat and island hopping are on my "to do" list.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Costa Coffee, My Waitrose
The VIP service is USD40.00 per person, They meet you at arrivals and take you through passport control, and customs. The email for booking is [email protected]. The need for the service is dependant on your arrival day, if you arrive on a Sat or Sun it,s a no Brainer if you are in Y. If you are in CW and literally run for it you should get through in reasonable time. This Winter the BA and VS literally arrive within 10 mins of each, if you are at the back of the queue from the last one in. you will wait along time.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks for the link - I will get onto it. We are in WTP and get in about 30 minutes after Virgin, so it's not looking good.!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.