Search

LHR to JNB - Advice please

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Gold, HiltonHonours: Gold
Talking LHR to JNB - Advice please

Hi All,

We've only just booked our CW flights to LAS thanks to all you lot, and already planning a trip 'home' for me to South Africa.

I've played around with the matrix and a few sites to see what deals we can take advantage of, but thought i would ask the font of all knowledge for any advice too.

Is anyone able to make any recommendations for traveling to JNB and back on the following dates from LHR (or Ex-UK), Unfortunately i have a feeling this will be in Economy, although there could be a possibility of upgrading with Avios to WT+, or if there's a deal, booking WT+ and considering avios upgrade to CW.

Depart - 20th November
Return - 8th December

One world is obviously preferred :-) we will both be silver by this point.

I know you guys are able to sniff out all the bargains, so i am intentionally abusing your skills!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Not sure that there's much we can do that you haven't tried...ITA is probably your best friend. Use various EU gateway options (BRU, AMS, DUB, OSL, etc) to see what you can generate. I find the system crashes when you try to do too much (multiple departure cities, date ranges, etc), so pour yourself a large glass of wine and get going!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:30 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
To upgrade from WT to WTP with avios you'd need to be in a flexible fare bucket, usually more expensive than just buying WTP outright.

Give ITA Matrix a try. If you're willing to depart ex-EU you may get some good premium fares.

QR is £1600 in J from OSL.
QR is £383 in Y from BRU.
BA is £1900 in J from DUB.
BA is £1600 in WTP from LHR.
BA is £580 in Y from OSL.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:51 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
and just to add that you might want to get yourself on QR's mail list - during their last '2 for 1 in J' sale, I priced up CDG-JNB return at about eur 2,200 for 2, ie around GBP900 each at today's exchange rate.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nux
To upgrade from WT to WTP with avios you'd need to be in a flexible fare bucket, usually more expensive than just buying WTP outright.

Give ITA Matrix a try. If you're willing to depart ex-EU you may get some good premium fares.

QR is £1600 in J from OSL.
QR is £383 in Y from BRU.
BA is £1900 in J from DUB.
BA is £1600 in WTP from LHR.
BA is £580 in Y from OSL.
You make a compelling argument for QR if you're willing to put up with a second connection.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
What second connection?

You're still connecting in CPH and A.N. Other airport - it's just that it happens to be DOH rather than LHR. I suppose some people might find the break in the journey quite unsettling though - when you connect at LHR, you're on the final leg very quickly.

However those are some long old layovers - going via DOH adds about 7h to the total trip length even compared to ex-EU on BA.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:32 am
Suspended

LHR to JNB - Advice please

Sorry, mind on blink...was thinking QR though LHR which is of course stupid. I blame Taittinger.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:46 am

QR

QR has a lot of plusses - due their business model fares are often significantly cheaper (especially one-way premium), inexpensive cancellation may be offered even on discounted fares, equipment is modern and in-flight service good.

But - passage through DOH is sometimes fraught: anecdotes speak of indifferent staff and premium pax being d/g to coach with no compensation when regal locals appear at the last minute demanding seats.

My only experience was to book a bargain one-way I-class fare that I eventually canceled for a bargain (imo) fee ~USD100. I'd also read that they didn't readily refund monies, so had booked via Expedia for that reason and was promptly refunded. (And Expedia showed better availability than QR.com when I needed it.)

All the above comments are from reading the FT QR forum, which I recommend.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by ChrisTheZulu
Hi All,

Is anyone able to make any recommendations for traveling to JNB and back ...
Worth holding out for a possible "2 for £2015" sale at the end of the year (like the one we were able to enjoy before Christmas 2014)?
Might not cover your travel dates though.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TeflonMan
Worth holding out for a possible "2 for £2015" sale at the end of the year (like the one we were able to enjoy before Christmas 2014)?
Might not cover your travel dates though.
Almost certainly won't - it's designed to cover the period when business travel tails off between Christmas and New Year and wealthy premium leisure pax will have booked up months in advance, so the pool of last-minute premium ticket buyers is very small.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:59 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Bear in mind that it is quite regular for upgrades to be offered at JNB for a price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.