Dublin: Connection from T2 to T1

Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat

I am looking to fly into DUB on American Airlines (T2) and then on to LCY on BA (T1); hand luggage only.
- Is there an airside transit connection from T2 to T1 in Dublin or do I have to clear Irish immigration at Dublin and then go landside from T2 to T1?
- Is there a minimum connection time at DUB (not that I am checking in bags)?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC
From airside to airside, there is a corridor without checks between T1 and 2. Walk left from T1 security all the way down the passway, and you eventually get to the T2 lounges, which are a level or two below the main departure concourse. From T2 arrivals, I'm 70% sure there is a transit centre, so you don't have to go landside, but may entail immigration/security.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
From T2 arrivals, you definitely do have to clear security and immigration (separate immigration to the arriving passengers, though) again to make your connection whether in T2 or T1.

Keep to the extreme left when you get to the arrivals immigration checks - the transfer path leads you around a corner, to the left of the normal arrivals checks, and you pass immigration in this separate line, clearing security just beyond. At that point, you can walk either to T2 or to T1.

Sort of surprised that from T1 you don't have to do this - but maybe it's because all the longhauls are operated from T2 (not that Ireland is in Schengen or anything!)

Borrowing this scan of the transfer map from Cara magazine from a user on the EI board:

Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
On arrival at T2, as you approach passport control, you will see signs for connecting passengers. You will be directed to the left where you will go through a separate passport control and security screening. There's no way to avoid these.

Once through this, you will be in the airside departures area. T1 and T2 are adjacent and are connected airside so you will be able to walk to your gate (no more than 10 minutes).
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by irishguy28

Sort of surprised that from T1 you don't have to do this - but maybe it's because all the longhauls are operated from T2 (not that Ireland is in Schengen or anything!)
But won't that corridor from the 300 gates drop you at international arrivals in T2, so to connect you then go through the same connections immigration & security check a T2->T1 pax would?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:19 am

Someone arriving at T1 would go through passport control at T1 and end up at the baggage area T1. There definitely was and might still be a connections path that led from the baggage area back up to security which cut the queue short and saved some walking.

Arriving in T2 is a different, much larger, immigration hall and there's a dedicated connections path starting with immigration. it splits in two with one for T1 so watch the signs. Though I'd you ends up in T2 they're both connected airside anyways.

The BA flights usually leave from the 300 gates which is close to T2 but occasionally from the gates that are really far away at the other end. Usually that's the first flight of the day that does that I think. If you leave from those it's more like 20 minutes walking.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Is it feasible to connect from BA 828 (arr 10:55) to BA 827 (dep 11:40) without having to go through immigration and baggage claim? I imagine this would be the same plane.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:50 pm

You always have to go through immigration and security.

I haven't done it at t1 recently but once upon a time I did do it and the connection path led from the baggage area up to security saving some walking and some queuing. This may have changed as the whole security check area has been redesigned since then.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:07 pm

So is the consensus that it is possible to get from T1 to T2 airside without going through immigration? There seem to be two opinions expressed here.

I ask because as a Canadian I get a stamp in my passport each time I pass landside, and the Irish stamp is HUGE. takes up half a page, and I'm afraid they'll fill up my passport if I take ex-DUB flights to the US from the UK.

Also, if I fly Ryanair into T1 can I board a BA flight to the UK that departs from T1 without clearing immigration? A lounge receptionist told me I can't (something to do with p2p carrier) but that seems illogical.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:42 am

Connecting at Dublin Airport (Terminal 1)

You will be arriving at one of four piers A,B,C or D. After disembarking the aircraft you should proceed through immigration to the baggage reclaim area. If you already have a boarding card for your connecting flight, and your baggage has been tagged to your final destination, you simply go to the boarding gate via the transfer area located at the top of the stairs beside baggage belt 1.
If your baggage has not been tagged for final destination you must collect it, clear customs, exit baggage reclaim and proceed to Aer Lingus check-in. If you are travelling onwards with Aer Lingus to mainland Europe or the USA you must proceed to Terminal 2.
If you have any further queries or need further assistance please go to the Aer Lingus Transfer desk which is located in the baggage reclaim area, where our staff will be glad to help.

Connecting at Dublin Airport (Terminal 2)

Walk from Arrivals Pier towards Baggage Claim hall, turn left and then right.
If transferring to Terminal 1, continue straight ahead.
Pass through Passport Control.
Take escalator up to Departures level.
Proceed through security check and through retail area.
Take escalator down.
Disembark escalator and continue straight ahead to your gate.

http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinfor...inairport/#con
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Is there a consensus on a safe transit time? From what it sounds like we can stay airside after going through customs/immigration. We are arriving from the US on AA/US & transiting to BA (separate ticket), but will check our bags through. I was debating between a 3 and 5 hour connection, and it sounds like the 3 hour connection should be more than enough? Thoughts? Thanks
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
3 hours will be ample.

I came off the AA flight recently, went landside as i needed to put duty free into my luggage and checked in with BA at T1. I was comfortably airside in T1 within an hour of landing.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
From what it sounds like we can stay airside after going through customs/immigration.
It depends on Dublin airport. When I did this transit back in April, I found the airside tunnel closed and was not due to open until 8am. You either hung around or walked through immigration explaining that you are connecting to T1 since the airside access was still closed.

Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
I was debating between a 3 and 5 hour connection, and it sounds like the 3 hour connection should be more than enough? Thoughts? Thanks
3 hours is plenty even if you have to connect landside collecting and re-check in your bags.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by IncidentalTourist
So is the consensus that it is possible to get from T1 to T2 airside without going through immigration? There seem to be two opinions expressed here.

I ask because as a Canadian I get a stamp in my passport each time I pass landside, and the Irish stamp is HUGE. takes up half a page, and I'm afraid they'll fill up my passport if I take ex-DUB flights to the US from the UK.

Also, if I fly Ryanair into T1 can I board a BA flight to the UK that departs from T1 without clearing immigration? A lounge receptionist told me I can't (something to do with p2p carrier) but that seems illogical.
You can ask the garda for a 90 day stamp, or barring that to stamp overlapping to your previous one. They're pretty accommodating.

One thing I noticed last time in DUB though was that the non-EU queue in T1 was ridiculously slow moving. I don't know if this was due to summer travel (a lot of LH people were connecting via LHR etc to fly to DUB)
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
3 hours will be ample.

I came off the AA flight recently, went landside as i needed to put duty free into my luggage and checked in with BA at T1. I was comfortably airside in T1 within an hour of landing.
Originally Posted by KenJohn
It depends on Dublin airport. When I did this transit back in April, I found the airside tunnel closed and was not due to open until 8am. You either hung around or walked through immigration explaining that you are connecting to T1 since the airside access was still closed.

3 hours is plenty even if you have to connect landside collecting and re-check in your bags.
Thanks, I'll book the 3 hour connection. Appreciate the advice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.