Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Minor change to Avios/TP table for for non-OW partner airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), QF Gold, EY Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat

The Avios/TP earning eligibility table has changed somewhat for non-oneworld partner airlines (e.g. Alaska, Aer Lingus, Meridiana) in the last couple of days..

It changed sometime last year to indicate if you were on an oneworld flight with partner metal you would earn both Avios and TP (e.g. an AA codeshare on Alaska); now zilch TPs or Avios.

This gives way to the following scenario:

Flight with AS - earn Avios
Flight with AA - earn Avios plus TPs

Flight with AA metal, AS codeshare - earn Avios
Flight with AS metal, AA codeshare - nothing (previously earned both TPs and Avios)

Previously:

Updated (last couple of days)

An error now corrected I wonder?

Last edited by yohoho; Jan 23, 2015 at 6:48 pm
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good catch.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well spotted.

Just to add a bit of context to this. The original story was that if you flew on AA flight numbers (codeshare) on Alaska, then you "should" get TPs and Avios. The reason being that Alaska is a direct partner of BA, as well as AA. However the AA to Alaska loop wasn't properly constructed. AA was responsible for extracting TPs and Avios "credit" from Alaska, but AA's contract with AS didn't include this factor, and so AA simply refused all claims.

Consequently BA.com said one thing - which was logical - but in reality it didn't happen. The website now seems to reflect the current reality, even if it doesn't really make sense. It's unfortunate since from about a year or two back AS provided quite a large number of useful services under AA flight numbers, in the triangle from LAX to Anchorage to Hawaii.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well spotted.

Just to add a bit of context to this. The original story was that if you flew on AA flight numbers (codeshare) on Alaska, then you "should" get TPs and Avios. The reason being that Alaska is a direct partner of BA, as well as AA. However the AA to Alaska loop wasn't properly constructed. AA was responsible for extracting TPs and Avios "credit" from Alaska, but AA's contract with AS didn't include this factor, and so AA simply refused all claims.

Consequently BA.com said one thing - which was logical - but in reality it didn't happen. The website now seems to reflect the current reality, even if it doesn't really make sense. It's unfortunate since from about a year or two back AS provided quite a large number of useful services under AA flight numbers, in the triangle from LAX to Anchorage to Hawaii.
Especially if you are flying out of SEA. Quite possibly I can take some personal responsibility for them now explicitly stating they won't credit Avios/TPs. I had to go through several CSRs to claim an AA-coded AS segment last week, with the last word basically indicating the table was a mistake and would be updated. I was therefore keeping a keen eye out to see if this would indeed happen. Bad news, unfortunately.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:42 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Are they still making an exception for earning Avios on flights under a QF code and operated by Emirates?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amt
Are they still making an exception for earning Avios on flights under a QF code and operated by Emirates?
Nothing has changed there:

http://www.britishairways.com/en-au/...-avios/flights

**Flights booked under the Qantas code (QF) operated by a non-oneworld airline will earn Avios and Tier Points unless operated by Jetstar in a class other than L class.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yohoho
As I was falling asleep I realised. BA have extended their Avios exemption on QF*EK and QF*friends to be even more generous than the AA*AS hole they were trying to patch...

**Flights booked under the Qantas code (QF) operated by a non-oneworld airline will earn Avios and Tier Points unless operated by Jetstar in a class other than L class.
A mistake? (Some had reported this as an earlier policy but I do not remember it being endorsed officially.)
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calchas
As I was falling asleep I realised. BA have extended their Avios exemption on QF*EK and QF*friends to be even more generous than the AA*AS hole they were trying to patch...

A mistake? (Some had reported this as an earlier policy but I do not remember it being endorsed officially.)
You are correct! How strange.

For posterity's sake, it used to be:

*Flights booked under the Qantas code (QF) operated by a non-oneworld airline will earn Avios but not Tier Points.
So, oddly enough as AS is a QF partner (friend), now owing to this new statement you can therefore earn Avios and TPs flying AS on a QF code, but now no longer on an AA code.

I can, to an extent, understand the QF/EK TP flow as QF essentially wants their partnership to function as one single airline having gifted many routes to EK. So it's feasible QF came to an agreement for TPs (assuming this is possible on their side) on EK metal so as to minimise any other OW FF'ers abandoning them.

I think BA trying to fit all it's various paradigms into this one size fits all table is causing more problems than solving.

Last edited by yohoho; Jan 25, 2015 at 9:33 pm
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yohoho
I think BA trying to fit all it's various paradigms into this one size fits all table is causing more problems than solving.
It really should not be so difficult to write out the real rules, even in a table.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.