Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Relocation from NY to London - AAdvantage to BA Executive Club recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Relocation from NY to London - AAdvantage to BA Executive Club recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:33 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by flibbly
For redemptions to GVA, BA wins hands down because of RFS, for redemptions back home to the states AA wins hands down because of the high fees on BA.

If I were you I would try to get to Silver on BA as quickly as possible every year (for lounge access etc and RFS redemptions to GVA) and then credit everything else to AA to maintain status and miles there too.
The first statement would have been true on paper, but as bad as folks think redemption availability is on BA, it's essentially non-existent on AA these days. I have been burning down my AA miles for about 15 months now, since the merger went through, and all I've ever ended up flying on is BA TATL, with one exception where AA very generously opened up a seat for me when it wasn't there.

Most of the time you're going to be stuck with three flights to anywhere you may want to go, and coming back you want to leave from outside the UK to avoid taxes (which I usually need to do anyway), but with some flexibility I can usually find what I need on BA.

Originally Posted by wemyss
1. I would stay with AA as your main program as the long haul rewards are much easier to get, IMO, and 'cost' far far less miles to redeem. (I am lifetime PLT and live in UK). But join BAEC and try to reach Silver for the status to get into Admiral Clubs in USA and have a 'pool' of avios for European short term rewards on BA.
Funny how different the perspectives can be sometimes.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would it make sense for the OP to consider Virgin? On the USA side, they're partners with DL.

Personally, I would avoid going near UA because their merger with CO is still a mess. Since the LH FF program isn't good for someone using cheaper tickets, it would seem to eliminate LX and *A as a choice, although the OP could consider doing *A with status through A3 or TK.
VS/DL won't work very well for getting to Europe, unfortunately. I was with VS many years up to about 2009 and just ended up booking a lot of BA on the side.

In general, I am looking at things from the perspective that AA cuts make the value of status on that airline significantly lower. Even as a US resident BA Silver or Gold will give me free lounge access, if I hit Gold i get some nice extra benefits even if not as generous as AA EXP and redemption rates are not always disadvantageous on BA given my patterns. I would switch to BA.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:00 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA 3MM, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by Calchas
AmEx will accept the OP if she/he's got an account with them elsewhere.
Quite correct.
Amex was extremely quick and generous with me opening US credit cards,
It was a few years ago but it was very easy. (much to my surprise)
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:07 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Myself, rwoman, Microwave, and many others are doing the ex-pat dance here.

YMMV, but it sounds like you may very well be, if not already, in a good position to consider Executive Platinum / EXP status with AA. I have found AA's benefit of 8 systemwide upgrades, from most published fares, for up to three segments in the same general direction, to be invaluable, and these will be valid on US Airways flights as well, come Q2 2015 IIRC.

These can truly go the distance -if you're flying thru the US, only need to be in the US for a day for work/meetings, then onward to South America or Asia (still on the same eVIP, if <24hrs). Quite handy when a business class fare comes up that is quite reasonable or comparable to full-fare economy and you can use these to upgrade to F. As a OneWorld Emerald, BA Galleries F at T-3 and T-5 is yours to enjoy, and for shorthaul travel across Europe, being able to select the exit rows for free (altho' I think you get this as a Plat as well, perhaps not as early in the proces?) gives more legroom than what you'd get in the refurbished club Europe.

You can have a UK MBNA Amex/Visa card, that you can use here in the UK with which to accrue mileage in AA.

And, you can obtain a separate Avios account (earning Avios in a variety of ways) to use for short-haul BA redempptions or positioning flights for non-UK departures.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:26 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
As per above poster - if you make AAEXP then it's a different kettle of fish (although for Europe redemptions BAEC will always be much better). However, if the choice is AAPLAT vs BA Silver I'd do BA based on your wish to have redemptions in Europe.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by skye1
Quite handy when a business class fare comes up that is quite reasonable or comparable to full-fare economy and you can use these to upgrade to F.
Say goodbye to this soon: when they start selling 777-200s as J only as they really start pushing on with the refurb the party will be over

I barely got through using last year's SWUs upgrading the AA flights I have booked this year through the ST sale into F. If you expect to always buy Y and need to upgrade frequently enough, this is a fair use of SWUs, but it's going to get harder with the way the cabins will be laid out on the majority of TATL planes (fewer biz seats than previously anticipated) and F will pretty much require you to fly through LAX (where upgrades are hard) or JFK (which is too short eastbound to make it compelling to be in F). Much of the perceived benefit of EXP quickly goes away if you consider where the on board product and (likely) the program itself will end up in a year or two.

A year ago I might have had a different answer, but these days I feel the value of AAdvantage is slipping rapidly. Certainly if you buy a reasonable number of premium tickets EXP becomes much more questionable.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by skba1
As per above poster - if you make AAEXP then it's a different kettle of fish (although for Europe redemptions BAEC will always be much better). However, if the choice is AAPLAT vs BA Silver I'd do BA based on your wish to have redemptions in Europe.
+1.

EXP is AAdvantage's pearl while Silver is the sweet spot for most in BAEC. My decision would be based on which level I was likely to consistently reach.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
so i am currently doing this.

AA Exp for last number of years, 2.3million miles, just moved to NYC from SFO and all of my flying is primarily to europe/LHR now. if i fly domestic US on AA, i pretty much pay for biz because the transcon upgrades just do not happen anymore with AA making my Exp rather useless.

based on my flying patterns, while a current Exp thru Feb 2016, i have qualified for BA silver in one month and will make gold in 1.5 more months. i have made peace with no complimentary upgrades...which was easier by not getting any this past year! i find the amount of avios i collect per flight to be better, and redemption i just have been lucky i guess? i just snagged LHR-SFO A380 F in august. but also realize that since my primary route is JFK/LHR--it will always be much easier.

and yes, the charges are outrageous but again with AA having nearly eliminated award flights on AA metal, i have become used to the BA charges.

so: if you decide to switch, do so while you still have plat status so you can avail yourself to the oneworld entitlements, making the transition easier and you more sane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.