Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pochama
Here is a guide as to the best and worst seats in First, Club World, World Traveller Plus and World Traveller on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Please ask your questions here, and hopefully someone will be able to help!

NB. The new 787-8 configuration is covered in the separate BA Boeing 787-8 (with Club Suites): Which are the best seats? thread

The following 787 seat maps have been prepared for quick comparison and reference

MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Codes:
788 = Boeing 787-8
789 = Boeing 787-9
781 = Boeing 787-10

Boeing 787-8
Type 78B
Three class: 35J 25W 154M
G-ZBJA G-ZBJB G-ZBJC G-ZBJD G-ZBJE G-ZBJF G-ZBJG G-ZBJH G-ZBJI G-ZBJJ G-ZBJK G-ZBJM (12)
2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-9
Type 789
Four class: 8F 42J 39W 127M
G-ZBKA G-ZBKB G-ZBKC G-ZBKD G-ZBKE G-ZBKF G-ZBKG G-ZBKH G-ZBKI G-ZBKJ G-ZBKK G-ZBKL G-ZBKM G-ZBKN G-ZBKO G-ZBKP G-ZBKR G-ZBKS (18)
2015 First, 2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-10
Type 78X?
Four class: 8F 48J 35W 165M; fitted with new Club World Suites
G-ZBLA G-ZBLB G-ZBLC G-ZBLD G-ZBLE G-ZBLF G-ZBLG (7)
2015 First, 2019 CWS, 2018 WTP, 2018 WT and Panasonic ex3 IFE

Boeing 787-8 seating comments
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-8 Club World:
The front CW cabin is quieter, and better for service than the mid cabin.

1 & 2 D/F: There is no overhead locker space, as it is taken up by the crew rest. The foot stools on these seats are also at risk of being bumped by a trolley, although they are semi-protected.

3A & K: These are the official C-W-S recommended seats. They have a little extra room, and direct aisle access, as well as good window views.
6A & J: These are recommended, as they are the longest, and offer the greatest legroom, as well as being ideally positioned for getting off the aircraft.
6D & F: These also offer an extra 3 inches of legroom.
7A & K: These have a little extra room, and direct aisle access. Ideal for those wishing to sleep. Unfortunately, these seats do only have 2 windows, one fewer than other seats.

B787-8 World Traveller Plus:
Passengers use the WT toilets, which does require a walk back through one of the WT cabins.
If you are worried about catering/meal options, it is recommended to sit towards the front of the cabin, as this is where the service starts.
An interesting video trip report can be found here.

10A-K: Recommended due to the extra legroom.

B787-8 World Traveller:
BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be felt, especially if you have broader shoulders. Seat pitch is also tight, at only 31 inches. The rear 5 rows are reported to have a slightly tighter pitch than the others.

30 A & K are to be avoided: the emergency exit infringes on your personal space both at upper body and foot level.
30B-J: Recommended due to the extra legroom.
HJK seats in rows 31 to 34 have 1’ more legroom than standard rows
A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom. Please see the photograph below.

Boeing 787-9 seating comments:
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-9 First:
2K: Recommended by ThatT1Feeling. Quieter side of a/c and away from galley.
1E/F: Recommended for couples by All She Wrote.

B787-9 Club World:
7A/K: Recommended by CWS.

B787-9 World Traveller Plus:
No seats have limited recline.
21 A, B, J and K - Missing window (last window in cabin near row 20's head) + near toilets

B787-9 World Traveller:
The width of the WT seats on the B789 is marginally greater than on the B788 (owing to reduced aisle width on the former).

However...

BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be easily felt, especially if you have broader shoulders.

A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom.
41A/K: No window.
43A/K: Increased space between seat & cabin wall.

Boeing 787-10 seating comments:
B787-10 Club World:
From porphyra's post:
6A/K window seats have one set of windows only, across the seat. The second further window adjacent to the screen/display that all other seats have is missing - this might be an issue for some people but I preferred it as there was likely less glare on the screen. The issue is that if you like to look out then you almost need to turn your head 90 degrees vs a slant 30-45 to look across the other window.

From corporate-wage-slave's post:
Bulkheads do have more vibration transmission compared to other seats, but that's almost looking for something to say. Essentially all CS is the same, with the only difference between window or middle seating.

B787-10 World Traveller Plus:
From Nil SeAnn's post:
All seats, even in the rearmost row 24, have very significant recline such that my head never fell forward during sleep.
20J/K have great legroom, but [20]D,E&F have even more legroom.
As I sat into 24F to try out the back row, a helpful F/A warned me that I would not be happy with the noise from the bathroom immediately behind the bulkhead to my rear. I thought to myself - how bad could it be? Well it was awful and I lasted about 10 minutes before moving again.
The toilet is oriented facing the rear of the plane and mounted to the WT+ bulkhead. I estimate it is probably only a foot or so from the back of the seat when fully reclined! If you plan an overnight flight I suggest you absolutely avoid 24D,E or F if you hope to get some sleep.

B787-10 World Traveller:

Far rear row of 48 does not recline.
The wall at seats 30A and 30K curves inward which limits the leg room for the leg closer to the wall. See post 1395 for photo.

Related threads:

Print Wikipost

Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I'm not sure the armrest will make much difference...if they are large build the fixed armrest will probably help contain them rather than spilling into their neighbours space. For me the bigger issue is the shoulder space. If they are of largish build they are likely to find they are wider than the seat.

I'm a 5ft10 woman and my shoulders are wider than these seats. It's a bit of a nightmare as there's really little to do about it save twist in the seat, or encroach on my neighbour - unless they happen to be a pretty normal build themselves in which case they'd be trying to encroach on me!
The armrest is one which is open at the bottom right, so the fat flaps can sort of encroach through a bit? It's not like Row 1 on an Airbus? BA are normally very good so I'd expect the middle seat to be blocked.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
3E looks good in CW for privacy
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:59 am

Flew LHR-AUS in 36B. Most uncomfortable flight ever and I have flown my fair share of Ryanair flights. No room either side, luckily passenger in 36C was understanding and saw the funny side of the situation as I tried to eat my meal with my elbows tucked into my ribs.

If the seat in front reclines it is almost impossible to use the IFE unless you also recline your seat, almost creating a very slow domino effect down the WT cabin. I have subsequently learn't that people now choose to fly the 747 from DFW rather than 787 from AUS. Maybe it's BA's plan to only have WT+ and CW on these planes in the future, or charge a premium for use of a WT row with only 8 seats rather than the cramped 9.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL (CCR), FB Gold, Marriott Platinum, HHons Diamond
Seating guide: Boeing 787

I'm a fan of 3 and 7K in CW. 3K with a great view of the wing. Not exactly 64A/K space but private and a very nice cabin. WTP is also excellent on this plane...I always go for front row aisle middle block. Took a wander back on a full flight back from AUS a couple of months ago and with the flight full it looked like sardine central.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
Two of my friends will be travelling on the 788 on YYZ-LHR in WT. One friend is disabled required full assistance i.e. assistance getting onboard, onboard wheelchair to seat and use of it to get around the aircraft (Category 3). I'm trying to choose good seats for them. I noticed that 30D/F would probably be fine. It is close to the lav and it seems like E is blocked right now as all the bassinet seats seem to be blocked right in front of them. Of course this may change at the airport but in their experience it will be blocked for them because any pax thinking of seat swapping with 30 D/F will be out of luck. These do not count as the exit row being in the centre block.

The only thing that concerns me is the armrest are presumably fixed and they are quite big guys. Do you think these seats are a good choice?
It looks like those are fixed armrests: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...t/public/en_us

I don't know if BA uses people or a lift to transfer wheelchair users from the aisle chair into the seat - in the US, it's almost always people, so if your friend is heavy, getting him over a fixed armrest into the seat may be a problem.

He should consider bringing two gait belts: one around the knees/lower thighs, the other around the upper chest to assist with the lift. He should not assume that the helpers are trained in safe lifting, and he should be prepared to direct them in how to lift him properly.

He should not allow anyone to lift him under the arms, especially if he's a tetra, as that can dislocate the shoulders. If he chooses a seat in a row with a movable armrest, he should consider bringing his own slide board.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Katja
It looks like those are fixed armrests: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...t/public/en_us

I don't know if BA uses people or a lift to transfer wheelchair users from the aisle chair into the seat - in the US, it's almost always people, so if your friend is heavy, getting him over a fixed armrest into the seat may be a problem.

He should consider bringing two gait belts: one around the knees/lower thighs, the other around the upper chest to assist with the lift. He should not assume that the helpers are trained in safe lifting, and he should be prepared to direct them in how to lift him properly.

He should not allow anyone to lift him under the arms, especially if he's a tetra, as that can dislocate the shoulders. If he chooses a seat in a row with a movable armrest, he should consider bringing his own slide board.
Thank you. His upper body strength is OK and he can walk a short distance on crutches if necessary. He flies a fair bit so I know he will manage onboard. I am realising that the 787 is going to be hell...
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
Thank you. His upper body strength is OK and he can walk a short distance on crutches if necessary. He flies a fair bit so I know he will manage onboard. I am realising that the 787 is going to be hell...
In that case he should be fine. When you said he needed full assistance, I thought you meant he needed...full assistance.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA-PLAT, Hilton-Gold, Marriott-PLT
Clarification on Seating- BA0276

Hello,

I had a question on the economy seating for BA0276(HYD-LHR). Looking at Seatguru, this seems to be Boeing 787-8 (788). I was looking at booking seat 21D. In Seat guru, 21 D does not look like a bulkhead seat whereas 21A/B/C/H/J/K seem to be bulkhead seats. And the BA website does not address this directly as well.

So basically my question remains- is 21D a bulkhead seat? Or just a standard seat.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:01 pm

I haven't flown on a BA 787 yet, but the seats map on 'The BA Source' indicates that 21D is not a bulkhead seat. http://www.thebasource.com/seatmaps/...5j25w154y.html

Row 20 is the bulkhead row for the middle set of seats.
ABlue likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL-Gold; BAEC-Newbie Silver
Quick question, have an upcoming trip in CW on the 787, is shelling out £65 worth (I know, a vague meaning of worth) it for picking the seat? Currently 3A looks to be the most appealing, and still available. I am a nobody with BAEC, hate paying on top of the money already paid (albeit via UuA)....
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by umichguy
Quick question, have an upcoming trip in CW on the 787, is shelling out £65 worth (I know, a vague meaning of worth) it for picking the seat? Currently 3A looks to be the most appealing, and still available. I am a nobody with BAEC, hate paying on top of the money already paid (albeit via UuA)....
One of the cheaper CW seat selection fees.
I'd probably go for it - knowing you are in one of the plum seats will build some excitement for the trip, rather than the mild stress of potentially ending up in an inferior place.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by ENTP
One of the cheaper CW seat selection fees.
I'd probably go for it - knowing you are in one of the plum seats will build some excitement for the trip, rather than the mild stress of potentially ending up in an inferior place.
Can I please ask, why it's one of the cheaper ones? Forgive my lack of info on BA matters.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by umichguy
Can I please ask, why it's one of the cheaper ones? Forgive my lack of info on BA matters.
From memory, by way of contrast, 747 main deck is £70 and the UD is £85. So getting the best seat on the plane for £65 feels less onerous.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:38 pm

From memory, by way of contrast, 747 main deck is £70 and the UD is £85. So getting the best seat on the plane for £65 feels less onerous.
Great, thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:50 pm

And done. Hopefully, I won't feel stupid when the whole cabin is empty when I turn up....

Edit to add, will also be my first time flying backwards...

Last edited by umichguy; Feb 21, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.