Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2015 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2015 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AyeCaramba
I was on the delayed BA269 service a couple of weeks ago - scheduled arrival into LAX was 19.25 but we ended up arriving approx 3.5 hours late which I understand is outside the threshold for compensation as this length of flight needs to be delayed by 4 hours
It is 3 hours delay that counts here, it's just that 4 hours is the cut off for full payment for longer flights. You should still get at least €300 unless caused by extraordinary circumstances, half the full rate.

The hotel bill will be a regret, I fear, particularly if you do get the EC261 payment, they don't take on consequential or derived expenditure. They may have paid a taxi fare however, but that's outwith EC261 too.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:57 am

Thanks C-W-S

So I should just make a claim for €300 rather than send them the hotel bill? It works out virtually the same anyway

Also - is it better to go through youfirst on this or normal customer services?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks C-W-S

So I should just make a claim for €300 rather than send them the hotel bill? It works out virtually the same anyway

Follow the instructions at the top of the thread, we know that works! There is a specific department that handles these claims. I don't think you need to specify the amount, just say you are claiming it. If that fails then I guess you could go to Customer Relations thereafter.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks C-W-S

I'd send the hotel bill first and if that does not work then send a 261/2004 claim.
Incidentally, you might (with a strong insistence on the conditional tense here) have a legal claim for reimbursement of hotel expenses not under Reg 261/2004 but under the MOntreal Convention. However, I would leave investigating this as a last resort.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:38 am

I was meant to picked up by a friend but due to the delay they ended ended up booking me into the Crowne Plaza at LAX as it would have been too late for them to have picked me up, gone back to their place then take me back to the airport for an onward flight the next day
was the onward flight on the same ticket?
If so, I could see an argument that there was no delay to arrival at the final destination (you just had less time between flights) and there was no additional overnights incurred as a result of the delay
If the ticket ended in LAX (with a separate ticket for the next day) it should be much simpler
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by Jase76
BA responded again saying my claim was successful. I pointed out the incorrect date and asked them to reconsider. If their position was still my claim was not valid, I wanted to know the reason for the cancellation so I could consider MCOL.
I was also booked on BA4468 on 17th July. I was rebooked onto BA4466 leaving 3.5 hours earlier. My claim has been denied - twice because "We offered you a new flight BA4466 on the same day that left more than three hours before your original flight's scheduled arrival" and in the latest response because "We rebook you on another flight BA4466 to Dublin on the same day and you reach your final destination within two hours after the scheduled arrival time of your original flight".

My understanding from this thread (and BA.com) is that I'm entitled to compensation because the reroute departed more than an hour before the original flight. Assuming I have a case, what is the best way to escalate with BA?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by Same but different
My understanding from this thread (and BA.com) is that I'm entitled to compensation because the reroute departed more than an hour before the original flight. Assuming I have a case, what is the best way to escalate with BA?
I think your issue is that BA got you there before your original arrival time, there was no delay for you. What are you reading that states compensation is payable when a re routed flights leaves before? You still need to meet the criteria of a delay on arrival as well.

Last edited by Jase76; Aug 4, 2015 at 3:44 pm
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Same but different

I agree, so long as the reason for the cancellation was not extraordinary circumstances. Ask them to review the case again (they seem to be processing claims very quickly now) and in particular in respect of Article 5.1.c.iii. There is a clear "and" statement towards the end, and BA's reading would require an "or" statement, which isn't there. I would invite them to review this in case there is a misunderstanding. If they refuse again then MCOL it is.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I think your issue is that BA got you there before your original arrival time, there was no delay for you. What are you reading that states compensation is payable when a re routed flights leaves before? You still need to meet the criteria of a delay on arrival as well.
Please read Article 5, paying particular attention to paragraph 5.1(c)(iii).

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...4R0261&from=EN

Last edited by serfty; Aug 4, 2015 at 3:55 pm Reason: As per C/W/S's post ...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by serfty
Please read Article 5, paying particular attention to paragraph 5.1(c)(iii).

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...4R0261&from=EN
I stand corrected.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
I stand corrected.
Thanks everyone for your advice, I've gone back to them again. Given Jase76 was successful I'm hoping they can solve it this time round.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Just want to check the current situation with respect to delays (not involving re-routings or as precursor to a cancellation).

A delay of less than three hours on a flight less than 1,500km receives nothing in EC/261 compensation, correct?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Just want to check the current situation with respect to delays (not involving re-routings or as precursor to a cancellation).

A delay of less than three hours on a flight less than 1,500km receives nothing in EC/261 compensation, correct?
Correct, if no re-routings or cancellations are in the frame. Distance is immaterial, bog standard delays under 3 hours get nowt.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Irritating, having sat through two 2:45s this week.

Thanks though!
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This looks like a cancellation to me, if you booked into service BAnnn and BAnnn did not operate at all. So assuming you were given less than a week's notice, BA have to pay compensation if they were more than 2 hours late into CDG. The time is based on doors open, incidentally. Compensation is not payable if there are extraordinary circumstances (weather and ATC being the two biggest constraints here).

If compensation is payable I personally think that's a €600 base line, based on the "distance is final destination" clause, but don't be surprised if BA will argue it is just the Paris sector, which is €250. However in this case, if we take the longer distance as the base line, then it's reduced by half since they got you to Paris under 4 hours late. So that's €300, and therefore the gap between the two arguments is relatively modest.
250 duly received. A beverage of choice morally owed in appreciation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.