Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2015 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:09 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

Was the problem with de-icing owing to the wind speed? A de-icing rig operates on a high platform and they cannot work in strong winds.

I had exactly this problem at LBA yesterday in a howling blizzard and I believe it is reasonable for BA to call extraordinary circumstances on this.

If it was a mechanical failure with the de-icing unit, or its staff not turning up then I'd say go ahead and claim.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:51 am

No it wasn't due to high wind speed, was actually quite a calm morning. One de-icing unit arrived, and after 10-15 minutes the captain announced that we would have to wait for a second unit to arrive and that would cause a further delay. Sounds like it could have been a fault with the first unit?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
My latest correspondence now suggests I'm entitled to nothing which as many of you have stated in the old thread is nonsense. Can anyone suggest a legal firm who would take an article 10 claim on? I only know Bott and Co but unsure if they focus on only delays or would look at downgrades.

If BA had made me any offer I'd have dropped this but they didn't.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mc1973
My latest correspondence now suggests I'm entitled to nothing which as many of you have stated in the old thread is nonsense. Can anyone suggest a legal firm who would take an article 10 claim on? I only know Bott and Co but unsure if they focus on only delays or would look at downgrades.

If BA had made me any offer I'd have dropped this but they didn't.
I would suggest just going to moneyclaim online and lodging a claim directly rather than using a 3rd party - would seem the cheapest option
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: BAEC: Gold
Anyone know what the effect of claiming under EC/261 is upon your chances of an OpUp?

- I was delayed 3.5hrs LHR->EWR on 15th January due to a cooling fan problem, wondering if I should go through the hassle of claiming to get a useful 600EUR back, or if it won't actually help me in the long run?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by itwasntandy
Anyone know what the effect of claiming under EC/261 is upon your chances of an OpUp?

- I was delayed 3.5hrs LHR->EWR on 15th January due to a cooling fan problem, wondering if I should go through the hassle of claiming to get a useful 600EUR back, or if it won't actually help me in the long run?
3.5 hours would get you a useful EUR300 back and would have no hesitation in claiming
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
3.5 hours would get you a useful EUR300 back and would have no hesitation in claiming
Thank you - although why 300, and not 600 - and I not understanding this right?

I wasn't re-routed. Sat in the plane on the tarmac for 4hrs in heathrow. Admittedly in 2K, where I was looked after very well by crew.

But end result was we arrived at EWR 3.5hrs late, missed the meetings I was due to attend that day, and had a bit of hassle, hence looking into this.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you - although why 300, and not 600 - and I not understanding this right?
You understand the FAQ right. It is just that the FAQ is wrong on this point.
Dave Noble is entirely correct that, for long-haul flights, if you arrival time is between < 4 hours compared to original scheduled time, the normal amount due is halved, and therefore €300 instead of €600.

Until our esteemed ambassador and great leader amends it, use those pretty diagrams in Q11 in post #1 merely to indicate whether or not you are entitled to compensation at all and just ignore the amounts. If it is established that you are entitled to compensation (i.e. you are it says more than zero in Q11), then turn to Q2 in post 3 to determine the true amount.

Last edited by NickB; Feb 10, 2015 at 5:48 pm
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by NickB
You understand the FAQ right. It is just that the FAQ is wrong on this point.
Dave Noble is entirely correct that, for long-haul flights, if you arrival time is between < 4 hours compared to original scheduled time, the normal amount due is halved, and therefore €300 instead of €600.
Ah cool! thank you both.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The error in the FAQ was made by the art department, namely me. Apologies for that.

With respect to an straight forward delay for EWR-LHR that did not involve a re-routing, compensation (€600) kicks in at 4 hours.

See, http://www.airpassengerrights.eu/en/flight-delay.html
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prospero
The error in the FAQ was made by the art department, namely me. Apologies for that.
Ah, those artists. Always sacrificing facts to esthetics and beauty.

With respect to an straight forward delay for EWR-LHR that did not involve a re-routing, compensation (€600) kicks in at 4 hours.
Well, compenstaion would kick in at 3 hours, albeit at the half rate of €300. the full whack of €600 would indeed kick in at 4 hrs. Incidentally, with or without rerouting would make no difference.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level

In 2012/13: 4 claims of 600EUR, 4 all successful.

From 2012/2014: 4 Double OpUps and 6 Single OpUps all in LH and from WT

Since my last claim Dec 2013 and about 20 LH sectors since, no delays-diversions etc.

So most likely no difference as in my experience.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:55 am

Location: Was once BA Gold, Fallen to BA Blue, and humble UA peasant
Wondering if I read this right. I'm on BA216 (IAD-LHR then to MAN for me) tonight which is showing a 9+hr delay due to equipment change (A380 to a 777). I called and was offered IAD-MIA-LHR however meant I would be rushing to IAD and still get to LHR 6+ hrs late so staying put right now.

If I read this correctly I'll gain 600 EUR? As I lose a day, can I without penalty see if I can get my return delayed a day?

Thanks, Richard
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:21 am

Location: Was once BA Gold, Fallen to BA Blue, and humble UA peasant
Originally Posted by Gorby
Wondering if I read this right. I'm on BA216 (IAD-LHR then to MAN for me) tonight which is showing a 9+hr delay due to equipment change (A380 to a 777). I called and was offered IAD-MIA-LHR however meant I would be rushing to IAD and still get to LHR 6+ hrs late so staying put right now.

If I read this correctly I'll gain 600 EUR? As I lose a day, can I without penalty see if I can get my return delayed a day?

Thanks, Richard
So I was able to slide my whole itinerary by a day without penalty and I'm good with that as I did not want to lose a whole day by the time I got to MAN, so would I still be entitled to compensation or the fact they honored my requested change be enough?

Thanks
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Gorby
So I was able to slide my whole itinerary by a day without penalty and I'm good with that as I did not want to lose a whole day by the time I got to MAN, so would I still be entitled to compensation or the fact they honored my requested change be enough?
If you initiated the rebooking - and the original flight is still going - then I don't think you will get compensation under the Regulations if your new service is on time. If BA had initiated the change that would be different. Much of the Regulations hinge on involuntary events that happen to passengers, and it's up to the airline to come up with alternatives that passenger may volunteer to accept.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.