Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Mischarged when booking 4,500 Avios US awards over the phone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

I have had a couple recent bookings made over the phone with the UK call centre where I have been charged more than the price for the same route on the website. The only reason I called is because these available flights were not appearing on ba.com. ba.com seems to have the tendency to be lazy and only show some of the available flights unfortunately as opposed to several more options that would appear on the AA website. Flights that would cost $5.60 on the BA website are being billed at $9.60 over the phone. This excludes the phone booking fee of course, which they waive if requested. Any similar experiences from my fellow FTers?

Also, has anyone seen any rhyme or reason as to why the BA site excludes flights that are available and should be bookable on ba.com? If other flights from the same airline are available on that day and bookable, one would think the other flights that are available for award booking would appear as well. I know that is too perfect to expect in the award booking world, but one can always dream...
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Anybody else experienced this happening?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

most recent experience booking over the phone - what have you paid for an intra-USA flight when booking over the phone?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Sorry luv2fly4free, I am unable to venture an answer as I have no experience of what you described.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:56 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Can you provide some specific examples luv2fly4free? One possibility is that there are service charges for booking over the phone instead of online. The charges are listed here:

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...d-service-fees
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by luv2fly4free
ba.com seems to have the tendency to be lazy and only show some of the available flights unfortunately as opposed to several more options that would appear on the AA website.
Are you taking into account that only MilesAAver flights shown on AA.com are available to be booked on BA.com using Avios? AAnytime awards shown on AA.com are not available to be booked using Avios on BA.com. This might not be the problem you're referring to but if not at least we can rule it out.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Can you provide some specific examples luv2fly4free? One possibility is that there are service charges for booking over the phone instead of online. The charges are listed here:

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...d-service-fees
Right, there is a phone booking fee. However, the general unwritten BA rule is if it is impossible to book something online, then the fee can be requested to be waived. Basically, they are forcing the customer into booking over the phone since the customer knows availability but the website prevents the booking. It is different than calling in blindly and just asking an agent to find a workable route with availability. That would of course justify the "value added" assistance of the agent and corresponding phone booking fee. In my examples, the fee was waived as requested, but in the end, the cost of a ticket booked over the phone was still higher than the equivalent ticket booked on the BA website for a route with the same airports/routing/airline. The agent says it is hard-coded into the system and that there is no manual calculation or adjustment that can be made. Neither is there is an explanation or logical reason given for the discrepancy in price when the agent is asked. The ba.com world is a foreign planet to the phone agent. Their system does its "magic" to produce the final price and the website does its own. One would expect the underlying automated calculation of fees would match between the two booking methods.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
Are you taking into account that only MilesAAver flights shown on AA.com are available to be booked on BA.com using Avios? AAnytime awards shown on AA.com are not available to be booked using Avios on BA.com. This might not be the problem you're referring to but if not at least we can rule it out.
Right - MilesAAver flights that appear on aa.com but not on ba.com (I never consider AAnytime awards at all)
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Right, there is a phone booking fee. However, the general unwritten BA rule is if it is impossible to book something online, then the fee can be requested to be waived. Basically, they are forcing the customer into booking over the phone since the customer knows availability but the website prevents the booking. It is different than calling in blindly and just asking an agent to find a workable route with availability. That would of course justify the "value added" assistance of the agent and corresponding phone booking fee. In my examples, the fee was waived as requested, but in the end, the cost of a ticket booked over the phone was still higher than the equivalent ticket booked on the BA website for a route with the same airports/routing/airline. The agent says it is hard-coded into the system and that there is no manual calculation or adjustment that can be made. Neither is there is an explanation or logical reason given for the discrepancy in price when the agent is asked. The ba.com world is a foreign planet to the phone agent. Their system does its "magic" to produce the final price and the website does its own. One would expect the underlying automated calculation of fees would match between the two booking methods.
I think that you are misunderstanding the offline fee policy. The policy is most certainly not "if it is impossible to book something online, then the fee can be requested to be waived". The policy is:

• if you should have been able to do it online and the functionality is there, but it isn't working properly that day (i.e. some kind of fault/glitch), then the fee should be waived
  • if you can't do it online and the functionality is not there so you could never do it online, the fee should be charged - although sometimes it may be waived if you are lucky.

Apart from the offline fee issue are you able to provide some specific examples of discrepancies between the taxes & charges showing online and what you have been charged offline? As noted by others, I have booked both ways before and not encoutered issues where the taxes & charges are different.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What was the flight you booked?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
It sounds to me as if, as well as the USD5.60AY USA security fee per direction (used to be USD2.50AY per flight), you may also being charged the USD4.00ZP US flight segment tax which should be exempt. I'm just guessing so have a look at your eticket receipt, or ask for a breakdown of the taxes, fees and charges. Award flights purely within the US should only cost the AY fee of USD5.60 (and multiples thereof).
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXBA
It sounds to me as if, as well as the USD5.60AY USA security fee per direction (used to be USD2.50AY per flight), you may also being charged the USD4.00ZP US flight segment tax which should be exempt. I'm just guessing so have a look at your eticket receipt, or ask for a breakdown of the taxes, fees and charges. Award flights purely within the US should only cost the AY fee of USD5.60 (and multiples thereof).
That would explain it. Do you have a suggestion of where I might be able to get the full (broken down) receipt in an electronic form and not just the total charged? Also, if they are not supposed to charge the $4 flight segment tax as we both know they are not, I wonder which department would most efficiently handle processing the refund? Thanks in advance for your helpful reply.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
I think that you are misunderstanding the offline fee policy. The policy is most certainly not "if it is impossible to book something online, then the fee can be requested to be waived". The policy is:

• if you should have been able to do it online and the functionality is there, but it isn't working properly that day (i.e. some kind of fault/glitch), then the fee should be waived
  • if you can't do it online and the functionality is not there so you could never do it online, the fee should be charged - although sometimes it may be waived if you are lucky.

Apart from the offline fee issue are you able to provide some specific examples of discrepancies between the taxes & charges showing online and what you have been charged offline? As noted by others, I have booked both ways before and not encoutered issues where the taxes & charges are different.
Sorry- I didn't mean to say what I was typing was official policy. I was just stating my "real world" experiences over the years with BA phone agents when it comes to itineraries that are impossible to book on the BA website.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
What was the flight you booked?
I will try to find some examples for everyone to see soon. I am quite busy right now, but will get that data out here as quickly as I can.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
That would explain it. Do you have a suggestion of where I might be able to get the full (broken down) receipt in an electronic form and not just the total charged? Also, if they are not supposed to charge the $4 flight segment tax as we both know they are not, I wonder which department would most efficiently handle processing the refund? Thanks in advance for your helpful reply.
Although I am reasonably sure you can get the refund, but is it worth your time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.