Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2015

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2015, 6:15 am

I'm trying to book a trip to CMB and collect some tier points for my travels. I've read some bad things about some MH flights not giving points. The itinerary I've been looking is

All the codes should be earning avios (as per http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...-avios/flights) as these flights are part of the business promo level, so they are in Z (as per itinerary rules).

Also what happens with the KLM operated flight? Not too bothered as it's only 40 tier points, but obviously would like to get them as well if possible.

Last edited by jjgau; Sep 12, 2015 at 6:26 am
Old Sep 12, 2015, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jjgau
All the codes should be earning avios (as per http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...-avios/flights), but I'm unable to see the fare class. These flights are part of the business promo level, so I assume Z fare class?
Pricing this on ITA suggests that this is indeed in Z class.

But I think that you are right to be sceptical about the MH code on a KL-operated flight. According to the table at the bottom of this page, these flights will earn neither Avios nor TPs.

Last edited by Globaliser; Sep 12, 2015 at 6:44 am
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjgau
Also what happens with the KLM operated flight? Not too bothered as it's only 40 tier points, but obviously would like to get them as well if possible.
The usual rule is that you get nothing if the flight is not operated by a oneworld member.

There are some exceptions (if on your itinerary the flight is a codeshare with a BA prefix, or if the flight has a QF prefix), but neither apply for MH operated by KLM.

It's possible that IT will screw it up and award you points anyway, but I would not rely on that at all.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
To upgrade from BA Silver to BA Gold, I gather that I would still need to collect 1500 TP, which is the same as if i am not silver?
If I am correct, this is another bad about BAEC.
With many other FF Programs, if already silver, qualification for upgrade to gold is less, e.g. with Aegean, Turkish, etc.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by benberg2013
To upgrade from BA Silver to BA Gold, I gather that I would still need to collect 1500 TP, which is the same as if i am not silver?
With many other FF Programs, if already silver, qualification for upgrade to gold is less, e.g. with Aegean, Turkish, etc.
you're wrong, so it's not another bad about BAEC.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by Smiley90
you're wrong, so it's not another bad about BAEC.
so what is needed to upgrade from silver to gold? When i log into my account, it says i need the normal amount to upgrade to gold...
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Have you read the post at the start of this thread? Usually best to understand something before yuou start passing judgement.

Basically lets say your membership year is 9 December 2014 to 8 December 2015 and you start that year at blue.

- By April 2015 you have done enough flights to earn 300 TPs so you immediately become a bronze.
- You need 600 TPs to earn silver in any one membership year, but you have already earned 300 so you only need an additional 300 TPs to make silver. You TPs do not get reset to 0 once you made bronze.
- By June you have earned a further 300 TPs so you are now on a total of 600 TPs for your current membership year. You therefore become silver immediately.
- You have more flights coming up before 8 December 2015, you already have 600 TPs, so you need an additional 900 TPs to hit 1500 and to earn gold. You have not lost any of the 600 TPs you already earned.
- Between June and October you do more flights and you earn the additional 900 TPs, so your cumulative total for the current membership year is now 1500 and you become gold.
- you will retain that gold status for the remainder of this current membership year (October - 8 December 2015), and for one full membership year after (9 December 2015-8 December 2016), and because of the way BAEC cards are done your card expires at the end of the nest full month after that so 31 January 2017.
- if you don't earn 1500 in your 9 December 2015-8 December 2016 you soft land which means you drop down to silver for your 9 December 2016-8 December 2017
- if you do earn 1500 in your 9 December 2015-8 December 2016 you continue having a gold card and you will be gold for for your 9 December 2016-8 December 2017 year as well

At no point do you have to earn more than 1500 TPs in total in one membership year to earn the gold card.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
Have you read the post at the start of this thread? Usually best to understand something before yuou start passing judgement.

Basically lets say your membership year is 9 December 2014 to 8 December 2015 and you start that year at blue.

- By April 2015 you have done enough flights to earn 300 TPs so you immediately become a bronze.
- You need 600 TPs to earn silver in any one membership year, but you have already earned 300 so you only need an additional 300 TPs to make silver. You TPs do not get reset to 0 once you made bronze.
- By June you have earned a further 300 TPs so you are now on a total of 600 TPs for your current membership year. You therefore become silver immediately.
- You have more flights coming up before 8 December 2015, you already have 600 TPs, so you need an additional 900 TPs to hit 1500 and to earn gold. You have not lost any of the 600 TPs you already earned.
- Between June and October you do more flights and you earn the additional 900 TPs, so your cumulative total for the current membership year is now 1500 and you become gold.
- you will retain that gold status for the remainder of this current membership year (October - 8 December 2015), and for one full membership year after (9 December 2015-8 December 2016), and because of the way BAEC cards are done your card expires at the end of the nest full month after that so 31 January 2017.
- if you don't earn 1500 in your 9 December 2015-8 December 2016 you soft land which means you drop down to silver for your 9 December 2016-8 December 2017
- if you do earn 1500 in your 9 December 2015-8 December 2016 you continue having a gold card and you will be gold for for your 9 December 2016-8 December 2017 year as well

At no point do you have to earn more than 1500 TPs in total in one membership year to earn the gold card.
Many thanks.

However, I want to clarify as follows:

Until recently I was BA Blue, flying with BA using my avios I received from Credit Cards etc. The only flight I have ever paid for with BA was 3 years ago when i flew from LHR to Lyon. I have some long-haul credited to AA.
Therefore, in my account, I have 10 lifetime points, and 0 tier points.
Now, recently, I became silver because of a status match (wasn't easy or straightforward to get).

With this information, what would my requirements be to upgrade to gold?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many thanks.

However, I want to clarify as follows:

Until recently I was BA Blue, flying with BA using my avios I received from Credit Cards etc. The only flight I have ever paid for with BA was 3 years ago when i flew from LHR to Lyon. I have some long-haul credited to AA.
Therefore, in my account, I have 10 lifetime points, and 0 tier points.
Now, recently, I became silver because of a status match (wasn't easy or straightforward to get).

With this information, what would my requirements be to upgrade to gold?
If it was through a status match, you'll
Need the full 1500 TP required - imagine it's as if you're starting a new membership period with silver.

Getting status matched doesnt give you TP, it only gives you the status.

And that is the same for EVERY status-matching FFP out there, not just BAEC.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:55 am

If it was through a status match, you'll
Need the full 1500 TP required - imagine it's as if you're starting a new membership period with silver.

Getting status matched doesnt give you TP, it only gives you the status.

And that is the same for EVERY status-matching FFP out there, not just BAEC.
Indeed, requirements are exactly as set out above, you need to earn 1500 TPs in any one membership year. You haven't earned any yet, status match doesn't give you any free TPs just a free silver card.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
Indeed, requirements are exactly as set out above, you need to earn 1500 TPs in any one membership year. You haven't earned any yet, status match doesn't give you any free TPs just a free silver card.
Is the only way to earn the required TPs by flying alot?
I guess I'll look at the MR thread.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Actually flying is the only way to earn TPs.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a TP run thread specifically for this, as TP earning rules and status miles are so vastly different. But basically you'll want cheap business segments of >2k miles for maximum profit.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 3:02 am
Suspended

There's a TP run thread specifically for this, as TP earning rules and status miles are so vastly different. But basically you'll want cheap business segments of >2k miles for maximum profit.
^
Old Sep 17, 2015, 3:02 am

So this is an important point to learn for BAEC. Avios can be earned by all sorts of things which are not related to flying, but have no bearing on your status. TPs can only be earned from flying and your status is determined by how many TPs you earn.

If you are desperate to get gold vquickly and would not normally do enough flying to hit 1500 TPs then this thread is very useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.