Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2015

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Cash fares on BA flights from which you do a cash upgrade do earn the increased avios and tier points for the upgraded class. Unfortunately, this has never been the case on AA or US.

Sometimes mistakes happen and someone on a rare occasional does receive credit when they are not supposed to.

The sticky still contains information on earning tier points from upgrades. It does say that the policy with BA upgrades applies across Oneworld airlines. Unfortunately, at least with regard to AA and US, this is not true (the sticky does qualify this statement "however there are reports of AA not always granting these upgrades"):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24088166-post5.html
Thanks jerry a. laska, I shall look into this.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Hi, I have a quick question, maybe somebody has flown there and knows the answer.

How many Avios does a flight LHR-BIO (Bilbao) earn in economy?

The BA Avios calculator shows only 288 Avios, but I think that's an error. Should it be 1,000 for Silvers/Golds?

EDIT: I just did a dummy booking and that also shows 288 Avios.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by headingwest
Hi, I have a quick question, maybe somebody has flown there and knows the answer.

How many Avios does a flight LHR-BIO (Bilbao) earn in economy?

The BA Avios calculator shows only 288 Avios, but I think that's an error. Should it be 1,000 for Silvers/Golds?

EDIT: I just did a dummy booking and that also shows 288 Avios.
Only flexible economy earns 100% after April:

http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...&link=main_nav

I don't know how the new bonuses are calculated but if you are on the lowest economy fare at 25% and the bonus is 100% of that then you would get the 50% of 575 that you are seeing.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:59 am

See this thread from January:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...360-avios.html

It may be because it's a new flight, and may be corrected before departure

Last edited by EI147; Feb 28, 2015 at 12:03 pm Reason: phrasing
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Oh.......the thread explains it well.

Thanks, to both of you.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
After taking a closer look at ba.com I realise that the calculator should be showing the current rates on the assumption that you will be booking before April 28 so the new rates aren't applicable even if the flight is after April 28.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: M&M, BMI DC, BAEC
Just a (relatively useless) thought - having noticed this in the credit card earnings:
05 Russia: Russian Standard Bank British Airways American Express Premium/Classic
Following recent RUB devaluation this translates into roughly 4.5 avios per Ł spent, probably the highest earning ratio for any FFP! Shame it's next to impossible to have one from over-seas...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: A3 Silver, BA BLUE, IHG Gold, Hertz President's circle, AY plat
I'm now 35 TP's short of silver, and have a few flights with BA/AA in the following days.
06/03: BA LUX-LON-YYZ
07/03: AA YYZ-MIA
08/03: AA MIA-LGA
All flights on the same PNR in O class.

I should have reached 600 TP's after arrival in YYZ, but I just saw that I've got a complimentary upgrade from WT to WTP on my LON-YYZ leg. It's now booked in a non-eligible P class and I'm afraid that I will not get the avios and TP's of that flight automatically and will have to contact BA.

Does anyone have an idea or there's a way to get lounge acces and 100% tier bonus on my YYZ-MIA and MIA-JFK flights? Normally I should be silver at that moment.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by fbruno
I'm now 35 TP's short of silver, and have a few flights with BA/AA in the following days.
06/03: BA LUX-LON-YYZ
07/03: AA YYZ-MIA
08/03: AA MIA-LGA
All flights on the same PNR in O class.

I should have reached 600 TP's after arrival in YYZ, but I just saw that I've got a complimentary upgrade from WT to WTP on my LON-YYZ leg. It's now booked in a non-eligible P class and I'm afraid that I will not get the avios and TP's of that flight automatically and will have to contact BA.

Does anyone have an idea or there's a way to get lounge acces and 100% tier bonus on my YYZ-MIA and MIA-JFK flights? Normally I should be silver at that moment.
Normally, you have to wait several days for the flights to post and your status to be updated and catch up. I sincerely doubt that an AA Admirals Club will grant you access before your status is updated in the system. You can always ask.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:34 am

WARNING. BA is about to hand over its Avios admin. to Avios itself. It has therefore done a massive database purge of all EC members who have not adhered to the 36 month usage rule. Thousands of EC members (likely from Blue to Bronze to Silver to Gold) have suddenly been shocked to discover not only their Avios balances have been reduced to zero, even after collecting them for years if not decades, but also their tier points have been zeroed too. Avios itself sends out a warning reminders to its defaulting members within 6 months of closing an account. BA FAILED TO BOTHER.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:38 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by S_Byers
WARNING. BA is about to hand over its Avios admin. to Avios itself. It has therefore done a massive database purge of all EC members who have not adhered to the 36 month usage rule. Thousands of EC members (likely from Blue to Bronze to Silver to Gold) have suddenly been shocked to discover not only their Avios balances have been reduced to zero, even after collecting them for years if not decades, but also their tier points have been zeroed too. Avios itself sends out a warning reminders to its defaulting members within 6 months of closing an account. BA FAILED TO BOTHER.
What source do you have that "thousands of EC members" have been affected and that this is because of "a massive database purge"? The 36 month rule has always been enforced.

TP's are always zeroed out at the end of each membership year. I assume this has happened to you which is why you're complaining, so when is your membership year end date and when did you last earn any avios?

Also there is no need to spam the forum with the same comments:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24464432-post1348.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24464462-post25.html
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by S_Byers
There are so many inaccuracies in this post that it's hard to know where to start. nux has already pointed out that TPs are zeroed every year, so someone whose account has been inactive for 24 months (let alone 36 months) would naturally have zero TPs.

No current Gold can have this happen to them unless they didn't earn their own Gold. You couldn't stay Gold through 36 months of inactivity.

Ditto anyone who has been collecting Avios "for years if not decades" would by definition have had activity on their account within the last 36 months. If you've failed the 36 month inactivity test, you'd obviously ceased to collect Avios with BAEC years ago.

Finally, the "massive database purge" suggests that this is something new and sneaky that BA's done. But anyone who's been an FT member for more than a short time knows that BA has routinely done this, and people often find themselves with a zeroed-out Avios balance through inactivity. And BA's inactivity rule is more generous than many airlines'.

So all that's happened here, by the looks of things, is that someone with no continuing relationship with BA has suffered the promised consequences and just wants to whinge about it.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
There are so many inaccuracies in this post that it's hard to know where to start. nux has already pointed out that TPs are zeroed every year, so someone whose account has been inactive for 24 months (let alone 36 months) would naturally have zero TPs.

No current Gold can have this happen to them unless they didn't earn their own Gold. You couldn't stay Gold through 36 months of inactivity.

Ditto anyone who has been collecting Avios "for years if not decades" would by definition have had activity on their account within the last 36 months. If you've failed the 36 month inactivity test, you'd obviously ceased to collect Avios with BAEC years ago.

Finally, the "massive database purge" suggests that this is something new and sneaky that BA's done. But anyone who's been an FT member for more than a short time knows that BA has routinely done this, and people often find themselves with a zeroed-out Avios balance through inactivity. And BA's inactivity rule is more generous than many airlines'.

So all that's happened here, by the looks of things, is that someone with no continuing relationship with BA has suffered the promised consequences and just wants to whinge about it.
^

Though would it not be possible to remain Gold for 36 months with no activity if a GGL made you their Gold nominee for a couple of years?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:50 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Though would it not be possible to remain Gold for 36 months with no activity if a GGL made you their Gold nominee for a couple of years?
"... unless they didn't earn their own Gold".
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by nux
"... unless they didn't earn their own Gold".
Bugger. Thought I had him on a technicality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.