Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Does Avios now collect fuel surcharges on American Airlines flights? I found a direct flight on AA from PHL to MAD and the fees were still showing as $350 or so.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:13 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EdgeoftheWorld42
Does Avios now collect fuel surcharges on American Airlines flights? I found a direct flight on AA from PHL to MAD and the fees were still showing as $350 or so.
What does the breakdown of the taxes, charges and fees show you when you click on the little information icon on the price quote page?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
What does the breakdown of the taxes, charges and fees show you when you click on the little information icon on the price quote page?
When I click the little info item, it lists $36.93 in taxes, charges, fees, etc., but shows the redemption as 20,000 Avios + $366.30.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:44 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
When I click the little info item, it lists $36.93 in taxes, charges, fees, etc., but shows the redemption as 20,000 Avios + $366.30.
This is what is shows for me:

on the price quote page it shows as 20k avios and taxes fees and carrier charges at £182.30.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:57 pm

Here's what I'm seeing:

and then when I click info:

Edit: Fixed links.

Last edited by EdgeoftheWorld42; Oct 5, 2015 at 1:04 pm
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by KARFA

on the price quote page it shows as 20k avios and taxes fees and carrier charges at £182.30.
Which is approximately CAD 360. Based on EdgeoftheWorld42's location I'm guessing we're talking about CAD here.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
Which is approximately CAD 360. Based on EdgeoftheWorld42's location I'm guessing we're talking about CAD here.
Yeah, I was seeing the CAD fee. Odd that the info doesn't show it for me, but I guess that clarifies it. I'm still surprised to see fuel surcharges for an American Airlines flight.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:04 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by kluau88
I apologize if this has been posted before but I didn't see it when I searched this thread. I have used Avios many times within Asia, and one thing I love is the Avios + Money option. I was helping a friend search for a J class award from TYO-MNL next spring, but am only getting the one pricing option (20k + $50 USD) instead of the variable amount of Avios + cash. I know in the Avios and Miles section it says this option is available for most carriers. Is JL one that is excluded?
I've never seen the option for Avios + Money on JAL so I've always assumed it has been never been an option whereas on AA it is an option, mostly. I'm intrigued now and am off to look for the/ an answer! I'll post back soon unless anyone else has a definitive table for your question.

Pete
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Yeah, I was seeing the CAD fee. Odd that the info doesn't show it for me, but I guess that clarifies it. I'm still surprised to see fuel surcharges for an American Airlines flight.
BAEC collects fuel surcharges for AA transatlantic flights. See, for example:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ce-please.html
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
BAEC collects fuel surcharges for AA transatlantic flights. See, for example:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ce-please.html
Great, thanks! Sorry for the ignorance, I'm pretty new to the Avios program (much more familiar with Aeroplan). Cheers
Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:05 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
It looks to me as if EdgeoftheWorld42 is doing a money+Avios booking while KARFA displayed the taxes breakdown for a pure redemption.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by fransknorge
It looks to me as if EdgeoftheWorld42 is doing a money+Avios booking while KARFA displayed the taxes breakdown for a pure redemption.
I don't think that's right. Even the pure Avios redemptions offer the chance to reduce Avios with some additional cash. In this case the OP didn't do so and left the Avios requirement at 20,000.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:41 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Right, I have forgotten about that option.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:32 am

Programs: QR, BA, IB, JJ
Hi.

I am flying from LHR-YVR with a layover in DFW on Nov10. Does anyone know the required avios to upgrade this flight from Y class? First segment is BA193 and second segment is AA2369.

Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:42 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by jsaMNL
Hi.

I am flying from LHR-YVR with a layover in DFW on Nov10. Does anyone know the required avios to upgrade this flight from Y class? First segment is BA193 and second segment is AA2369.

Thanks!
You can only upgrade from flexible economy fares in fare buckets Y, B, H on BA and in Y, B on AA.

Refer to post #7 which shows the avios required, however unless you are on an expensive economy ticket you won't be able to upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.