Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2015

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
I know that awards are priced by distance by segment.

However, what is the maximum (let's say maximum for domestic and maximum for international) layover allowed between connections such that all flights can be booked on one record locator or ticket?
As far as I know, this is limited only by overall ticket validity. Many people book awards that have stopovers lasting very many months, even in the middle of the outbound journey or the inbound journey.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:22 am

If I'm looking at using Avios for a flight in July, why are their only first class tickets available for avios redemption and not regular economy. So the economy seats not open up until closer to departure?
Old May 20, 2015, 9:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
If I'm looking at using Avios for a flight in July, why are their only first class tickets available for avios redemption and not regular economy. So the economy seats not open up until closer to departure?
The complaint is normally the other way around.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
The complaint is normally the other way around.
It could just be that all the economy seats are booked up but I find it doubtful because there are plenty of first class seats for the five flights the day I'm looking at and none on the economy for the same five flights. I'm just trying to gain an understanding of when economy seats free up with relation to departure date.
Old May 23, 2015, 1:46 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
I assume this is an internal AA or US flight? I've found this a lot. It's basically the airline saying "we'd rather have people pay us $ for coach, thanks".

Nothing you can do about it.
Old May 25, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Any views on the way BA is (or is not) opening up F cabins as departure date nears? (I'm the new environment)
Tempted to upgrade late night flight from JFK this weekend but no availability and not worth using joker for. Looking at next 7 days there seems to be lots of F availability on Wednesday - is 48-72 hours normal approach or just coincidence?

(Can book 9 F seats for cash on BA.com, so I'm hopeful)
Old May 25, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Any views on the way BA is (or is not) opening up F cabins as departure date nears? (I'm the new environment)
Tempted to upgrade late night flight from JFK this weekend but no availability and not worth using joker for. Looking at next 7 days there seems to be lots of F availability on Wednesday - is 48-72 hours normal approach or just coincidence?

(Can book 9 F seats for cash on BA.com, so I'm hopeful)
I too would be interested in that answer. I have an intl f award I woild like to push back one day and as of now the BA calendar on,y shows 1 day with availability.

I'm also looking daily for a non stop instead of a connection for a Club Europe seat. When I look to see if I can make a rev booking I can book 9 seats on the non stops I am interested in
Old May 26, 2015, 4:32 am

Programs: BA, IB, DC, Amex PP, Motel 6, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel
Iberia Plus

Firstly, apologies if this is deemed to have been posted in the wrong place.

I am looking at transferring avios from BA to IB Plus.

My understanding is that the IB Plus account has to have been open 90 days (which it has) and that there must be a balance in the account before a transfer ?

I have no miles in the IB account so am looking for some cheap and quick miles.

Having read a previous posting on HFP, I can see that a wine purchase is deemed effective - and there currently is a Vinoseleccion of 6 bottles at 50 euros.

Any ideas please - is this the way to go or am I missing an easier opportunity for a few miles ? any experience as to how soon the wine purchase miles would post ?

Once that is done and miles deposited, would my avios transfer from BA to IB show immediately ?

Thanks.
Old May 26, 2015, 4:46 am

I need to try to book a 2-4-1 at -355 soon, my first one in a while, and I'm slightly unsure of the current convention for booking, so some advice would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I understand it there are two ways to book.

1. Book the outbound for the desired date when/if it becomes available. Book this one-way. When the desired return date becomes available, call and add this to the booking.

2. Book the outbound for the desired date when/if it becomes available. Book a return for the same day. When the correct return date becomes available, call and change this.

Which is the 'correct' way? Does either way pose a problem? I assume option 1 is more simple...

And just to confirm the -355 element due to month ends, can someone please confirm the time/day I need to stay up to try and make a booking for the 30th or 31st of May 2016. 2016 is a leap year so I want to check!
I'm assuming availability normally appears at about 1am UK time?
Old May 26, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by GreatBritishBAECOff
I need to try to book a 2-4-1 at -355 soon, my first one in a while, and I'm slightly unsure of the current convention for booking, so some advice would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I understand it there are two ways to book.

1. Book the outbound for the desired date when/if it becomes available. Book this one-way. When the desired return date becomes available, call and add this to the booking.

2. Book the outbound for the desired date when/if it becomes available. Book a return for the same day. When the correct return date becomes available, call and change this.

Which is the 'correct' way? Does either way pose a problem? I assume option 1 is more simple...

And just to confirm the -355 element due to month ends, can someone please confirm the time/day I need to stay up to try and make a booking for the 30th or 31st of May 2016. 2016 is a leap year so I want to check!
I'm assuming availability normally appears at about 1am UK time?
You can do either way, not sure if there is a 'correct' way. I believe with option 2 you will definitely incur the change fee of £35pp, but option 1 some people have not been charged to do this.

Availability opens up at 00.00 GMT (01.00 BST) and you need to call a centre that is open - I have seen Japan has been used for this purpose.

I am actually midway through option 1! Booked flights online and will be calling on Friday morning to get the return added.
Old May 27, 2015, 3:51 pm

I would be grateful for some advice on the following as I have never used Avois to upgrade a flight before. I have a few ex-DUB flights over the next few months which will give me a decent Avois balance - I am then flying to Miami on Christmas Eve on a A380 in CW (ex-EU DUB-LHR-MIA) - when I booked I was offered an upgrade to F for circa 400 euros. Is is likely that I will be able to upgrade using avois between now and Dec, and if so how many will it take?

Many thanks

Tim
Old May 27, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by cruisr
I too would be interested in that answer. I have an intl f award I woild like to push back one day and as of now the BA calendar on,y shows 1 day with availability.

I'm also looking daily for a non stop instead of a connection for a Club Europe seat. When I look to see if I can make a rev booking I can book 9 seats on the non stops I am interested in
Three / four days in advance based on my experience! Wednesday evening EST / Thursday v. early morning BST and just saw three seats for my flight on Sunday night EST. On with BAEC now (it's already gone down to two)

Aaaand they can't complete on the phone as system won't show the change in taxes. Good agent who confirmed it is held though and is only costing me 20,000 Avios, and will call me back with amount of taxes

Looking forward to first experience of JFK CCR - may it be the first of many! (I say in hope given I'm 25 TP off renewing GGL for 8 November year end, and should have another 490 TPs banked by this time next week...)
Old May 27, 2015, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by tim0409
I would be grateful for some advice on the following as I have never used Avois to upgrade a flight before. I have a few ex-DUB flights over the next few months which will give me a decent Avois balance - I am then flying to Miami on Christmas Eve on a A380 in CW (ex-EU DUB-LHR-MIA) - when I booked I was offered an upgrade to F for circa 400 euros. Is is likely that I will be able to upgrade using avois between now and Dec, and if so how many will it take?

Many thanks

Tim
20,000 Avios for me to upgrade JFK-LHR just now (a BA peak date). If you value Avios at 1p that's almost 300 Euros, and you'd earn more Avios (250% vs. 150% for lowest CW class) and TPs by flying in F. If you really want to experience F I'd take the cash upgrade now - it's luck of the draw as to whether or not reward availability will open up. One idea is to check how many F seats are for sale for cash - if small number less likely that there'll be reward availability.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA
1) Is it possible to book multi-city redemptions (something as simple as JFK-> MAN and LHR -> JFK) on the same itinerary online?

2) If not, is it possible to do it over the phone? Will they waive the phone booking fee if it is not possible to do this online?

3) When cancelling an entire roundtrip or multi-city itinerary, does the Avios cancellation/redeposit fee apply per itinerary or per segment or what?
Old May 28, 2015, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile
1) Is it possible to book multi-city redemptions (something as simple as JFK-> MAN and LHR -> JFK) on the same itinerary online?

2) If not, is it possible to do it over the phone? Will they waive the phone booking fee if it is not possible to do this online?

3) When cancelling an entire roundtrip or multi-city itinerary, does the Avios cancellation/redeposit fee apply per itinerary or per segment or what?
1 - don't believe so
2 - Unsure (see below), technically fee still applies (as it's not something that can be done online that is unavailable for some reason) but undoubtedly there'll be examples of it being waived
3 - applies per booking

I don't think that you'll get much luck with an agent if it's something that should really be booked as two separate flights - it's not really a round trip if there's a surface segment baked in, and it's not an open-jaw that they can come with and is relatively normal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.