Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2015

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mediator
Thank you. And the new flight I want has to have award availability, correct?
No, but you might have to argue about it.

When is your intended date of travel?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:26 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Is it possible to book Avios reward flights with Aer Lingus? If so is it only possible on the DUB-LON routes?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:29 am

You need to call BA to redeem. Can be used for flights to US etc. also.

Originally Posted by headingwest
Is it possible to book Avios reward flights with Aer Lingus? If so is it only possible on the DUB-LON routes?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:30 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flashware
You need to call BA to redeem. Can be used for flights to US etc. also.
Thanks. I was thinking about the VIE-DUB route. So it sounds like it may be possible.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headingwest
Thanks. I was thinking about the VIE-DUB route. So it sounds like it may be possible.
Yes, but RFS does not apply of course

I would expect taxes and fees as follows
Austria ZY (ZY) €18.28
Austria AT (AT) €7.75
Austria QD (QD) €7.00
EI YQ surcharge (YQ) €16.55
EI YR surcharge (YR) €15.00
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
I would expect taxes and fees as follows
Austria ZY (ZY) €18.28
Austria AT (AT) €7.75
Austria QD (QD) €7.00
EI YQ surcharge (YQ) €16.55
EI YR surcharge (YR) €15.00
Ouch!

Oh well, it still may be useful for a last minute booking.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
No, but you might have to argue about it.

When is your intended date of travel?
Thanks for the response. My original itinery is HHH-CLT-BOS on US on Jul.13. US cancelled the HHH-CLT flight and BA automatically rebooked me onto a later HHH-CLT flight which results in getting into BOS two hours late. I want to travel in June instead but no award flights have been found.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mediator
Thanks for the response. My original itinery is HHH-CLT-BOS on US on Jul.13. US cancelled the HHH-CLT flight and BA automatically rebooked me onto a later HHH-CLT flight which results in getting into BOS two hours late. I want to travel in June instead but no award flights have been found.
You can probably argue to travel on an earlier flight on the same day or the day before [without award space], but moving your entire schedule around is not going to be easy, you can ask but you would probably have to wait for award space.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:21 am

Avios redemption for oneworld partner codeshare

Can I use my Avios to book a oneworld partner codeshare? For example, can I book an AA codeshare (eg. Jet Airways operated) flight using Avios?

Is it kind of like the Aer Lingus thing where it's not seen online? I want to book BRU-YYZ, business or economy. I tried looking for reward space on AAdvantage for this route on Jet Airways but it doesn't show up (even for next year's travel).
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, jnam27!
Originally Posted by jnam27
Can I use my Avios to book a oneworld partner codeshare? For example, can I book an AA codeshare (eg. Jet Airways operated) flight using Avios?
As a generalisation, you'll usually find that awards are only available on the flight number of the airline operating the flight. So although I don't know the answer for sure, the situation you're thinking of would be unusual. I expect that an AA frequent flyer wanting to redeem on a 9W flight would have to book an award using the 9W flight number because there would be no award seats on the AA flight number. And the same would apply to a BAEC member wanting to use Avios: there would be no award seats on the AA flight number, and therefore no chance of using Avios.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:38 pm

Sorry, I am sure this has been answered before but are Avios seats released 355 days out at midnight UK time?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Jpsartre
Sorry, I am sure this has been answered before but are Avios seats released 355 days out at midnight UK time?
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-rewards.html
Old Apr 17, 2015, 2:39 pm

Thanks, think I'll take my chances and book tomorrow morning, not staying up until 1am
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
If I'm booking the return leg on an Amex 241 for which I've already booked the outbound, it seems my best strategy is snapping the tickets up at 1am, calling exec club in the morning, and getting them to release them under the 24 hours policy and then grab them straight away when they go back into the availability pool. Is that right?

The other alternative looks like taking a chance with a non-UK call centre and hoping that they understand what I want to do and are able to process it properly.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniboot
If I'm booking the return leg on an Amex 241 for which I've already booked the outbound, it seems my best strategy is snapping the tickets up at 1am, calling exec club in the morning, and getting them to release them under the 24 hours policy and then grab them straight away when they go back into the availability pool. Is that right?

The other alternative looks like taking a chance with a non-UK call centre and hoping that they understand what I want to do and are able to process it properly.
You cannot guarantee that the released seats will go back into the redemption bucket, either immediately or ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.