Wiki Posts
Search

TP/AA Domestic/Honeymoon Query

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist

I think I need the help of this fantastic fora.

Background

As part of our honeymoon in July next year I need to get from MIA to Flagler Beach, up above Cape Canerival, on Florida's east coast. This sounds easy enough, however, we need to collect our car from my parents home near Lake Wales. We therefore need to fly from MIA to MCO to collect the car and then head up to Flagler.

Options

I have calculated that by the end of our honeymoon we will be some 70 TP's short of Silver. I have therefore been looking at doing MIA-MCO-MIA in First on American, which if I am reading correctly, will give us 120 TP's. However, the prices seem rather steep, to me, given that the flight is a little shy of 60 minutes. I have been quote £630.00 all in for the both of us. Do members think this is expensive?

If we were to fly Y on AA what is the bag policy? Can one pay for extra bags?

The other option is to snag a CE Flight before we go on honeymoon (using the current sale) to give us 80 TP's and therefore we will qualify for silver. I would welcome members thoughts.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
I think I need the help of this fantastic fora.

Background

As part of our honeymoon in July next year I need to get from MIA to Flagler Beach, up above Cape Canerival, on Florida's east coast. This sounds easy enough, however, we need to collect our car from my parents home near Lake Wales. We therefore need to fly from MIA to MCO to collect the car and then head up to Flagler.

Options

I have calculated that by the end of our honeymoon we will be some 70 TP's short of Silver. I have therefore been looking at doing MIA-MCO-MIA in First on American, which if I am reading correctly, will give us 120 TP's. However, the prices seem rather steep, to me, given that the flight is a little shy of 60 minutes. I have been quote £630.00 all in for the both of us. Do members think this is expensive?

The other option is to snag a CE Flight before we go on honeymoon (using the current sale) to give us 80 TP's and therefore we will qualify for silver. I would welcome members thoughts.
That seems very expensive to me. If you do a CE trip now, you would have lounge access for your honeymoon - although not sure if that's such a big deal with Admiral's Club lounges. But it might be a nice touch.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:36 am

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Mucci
Originally Posted by PoincianaKings

Firstly congratulations on your forthcoming wedding.

It might be worthwhile burning some Avios for the this and doing a cheap CE run in advance to become silver ahead of your trip.

Other than lounge access, being Silver (OWS) gives you increased luggage allowances on AA, which could save you a few quid too.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
A cheaper alternative (perhaps) could be doing the MIA-MCO-MIA one way in F and the other in Y, netting the exact 70 TPs required.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard

£630 is way too much for that sort of flight (though that's how pricing works). I know you are in FL but the same amount would get you westcoast to Caribbean and thus up to 640 TPs.

I would not pay that just for the 120 but as others have said, find a cheaper (eg CE) flight for much less that hits your target.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Given that the fare is for 2 of you it isn't so bad surely? I can see dates when that drops below £600 and either way would certainly qualify for the TP run thread wiki as sub £3/TP.

Dare I suggest that there might not be a need for both of you to fly F in both directions on such a short flight?

Last edited by Blueboys999; Dec 21, 2014 at 11:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.