Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA the only airline not serving a Japanese meal in C/F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA the only airline not serving a Japanese meal in C/F?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by visit14
Or it might be the lack of slippers / wc slippers which is the deal-breaker for Japanese premium PAX.
BA provide slippers in F.

Even JL or NH do not provide loo slippers. Or at least, I have never noticed them.

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Have they removed the slippers? Last time I flew back in 2012 they were available on request.
I have never noticed them not being provided automatically in F on BA on NRT or HND despite having flown the route rather more often than I care to remember.

They may be on request in CW but in F they seem to be always automatically put there.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 19, 2014 at 12:33 pm
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:09 pm

I have honestly never registered slippers in BA F on any route, but a quick Google search indeed shows plenty of evidence of them, so some sort of (mental) failing on my part. And not implying that any carriers provide two sets of slippers, but that some PAX may view them as slippers for padding around the cabin in or others for specifically wearing to and from the washrooms. Some of the Asian carriers will even provide them on shorthaul F & J flights.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
With apologies to the people of Herefordshire, but is that where they breed the driest, smallest cows in the world capable of producing only 150 gram filets with the consistency of leather? Is it something in the grass?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
I'm guessing the airlines name gives it away fly British expect a British style offering, try to do what we do best not attempt a poor imitation of an overseas offering.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:23 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Swampz64
fly British expect a British style offering, try to do what we do best
Yes, yes - we know, so we do not fly BA to admire famous British cuisine

PS. Obviously I am not British
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
We serve Japanese style food in all cabins, why would you think differently?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
We serve Japanese style food in all cabins, why would you think differently?
I was referring to actual Japanese food, perhaps since this is F you could attempt a kaiseki offering like almost all other airlines offering F into Japan? Including a Japanese presentation. You used to offer this, including an entirely different set of small dishes placed on a lacquered tray, in the 1990s.

From what I've read, today you place a piece of fish on a standard plate, pour some miso over it and call it "Japanese", which I'm afraid does not pass.

Even CX do a nice 3-tray kaiseki in their less than 4 hour flights from HKG into Tokyo.

I have read the above and perhaps this is because you cannot attract a Japanese base, so are catering for the western taste.

I just found it unusual.

I have never done this routing on BA - always on either JL or NH, from Europe or America. But I have a 2 for 1 that is coming due and will need to use it on a trip or lose it, which is what prompted my question.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:01 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I would strongly urge BA not to try a kaiseki meal for the time being. Let's just stick with things which are edible - I'm sure they could knock out a passable kare katsu though.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I would strongly urge BA not to try a kaiseki meal for the time being. Let's just stick with things which are edible - I'm sure they could knock out a passable kare katsu though.
They could do well on kaiseki ex-Tokyo, though, if everyone else can.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I think people tend to severely overestimate the difficulties involved in doing a Kaiseki menu. If anything, the vast majority of dishes involved in most Kaiseki menu is much easier to deal with on an aeroplane than the standard Western menu. Why? They do not need reheating, which means as long as it is prepared correctly, the factors like the aeroplane ovens do not adversely affect them.

One thing that has the potential to really mess up Kaiseki is turbulence, as the presentation is really important. It will quickly get messy as has been shown on a CX flight in F to TYO. The poor crew tried to keep it tidy but it just did not work.

In any case, given the demographic in F on the HND/NRT routes (not many people who appear to be of Japanese origin, as well as most passengers just want something quick and go to sleep, if not completely ignoring the meals and going to sleep anyway), the cost of doing it would probably be prohibitive as not many will probably ask for it.

I am against doing katsu curry on the flight. The smell overwhelming (far more so than Indian curries, I find), permeates the entire cabin (and probably beyond) and is so distinctly unpremium.

While I used to think that BA should do something like the kaiseki menu, and I think they should probably do something like osechi for the new year, I suspect the cost would be too high for just a little benefit.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Flyingfox
I was referring to actual Japanese food, perhaps since this is F you could attempt a kaiseki offering like almost all other airlines offering F into Japan? Including a Japanese presentation. You used to offer this, including an entirely different set of small dishes placed on a lacquered tray, in the 1990s.

From what I've read, today you place a piece of fish on a standard plate, pour some miso over it and call it "Japanese", which I'm afraid does not pass.

Even CX do a nice 3-tray kaiseki in their less than 4 hour flights from HKG into Tokyo.

I have read the above and perhaps this is because you cannot attract a Japanese base, so are catering for the western taste.

I just found it unusual.

I have never done this routing on BA - always on either JL or NH, from Europe or America. But I have a 2 for 1 that is coming due and will need to use it on a trip or lose it, which is what prompted my question.
I must admit that I do not understand the intricacies of Japanese food and service but I do know that we service food that is to Japanese taste and have special china and bowls etc to serve this in.
We have 4 Japanese crewmembers are onboard to advice us of any service and cultural needs.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Swampz64
I'm guessing the airlines name gives it away fly British expect a British style offering, try to do what we do best not attempt a poor imitation of an overseas offering.
The same could be said of the "Famous BA Burger" *ahem*

Back on topic, I have flown the west coast USA flights to NRT many times in UA in F and J (although it's a few years back now). The Japanese meal option *always* ran out and rarely did more than about a third of the cabin get their choice (even though it seemed that that is what everyone wanted). The presentation was ok, the taste was decent, but not memorable, typically because it wasn't deep enough or one-dimensional.

The catering on ANA and JAL is much better, especially (obviously) ex-Japan. And not just on the long-haul routes, but also on the regional routes (to SIN and HKG) that get a lot of premium traffic. I recall a ANA flight several years ago to HKG where a kaiseki meal was served with such glorious presentation, taste, and patience, that I thought I was in a top Tokyo restaurant, and I recall pretty much nothing else from the flight.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Slightly OT but can anyone advise what the meal service is in F on the NRT-LHR flight? Departs at 11am so will be lunch but then what do they serve towards the end of the 13hr flight - please don't tell me afternoon tea.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
I can only speak of J and WT+ but last I saw the flight had > 40% passengers of Japanese ethnicity, on their appearance.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
I can only speak of J and WT+ but last I saw the flight had > 40% passengers of Japanese ethnicity, on their appearance.
I find F to be very different demographic on the route, usually 1 to 3 people at most who look Japanese and the rest of them not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.