Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin Blind Etiquette - is there one??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Armodeen
How do the CC usually take it when you explain that you would prefer to keep them open, thanks?
In my experience the crew accepts it and goes away

On a daytime flight, there is imo a reasonable expectation that it is , well, daytime and in most places it is light when it it daytime

I am not at all a fan of crew trying to "encourage" the conversion of a day flight into a pseudo night flight

For those that want darkness , perhaps book a flight outside of daylight hours
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

For those that want darkness , perhaps book a flight outside of daylight hours
Or even better, buy a decent eyeshade.

Mine cost Ł8 and it's perfect.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
If you are one of the Window Blind Controllers, then do as you wish on day flights. I'll stubbornly keep blinds up.

But as day dawns over the Atlantic, Himalayas or Andaman Sea please don't half lift the blinds for a few seconds every minute or so to check on the clouds.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Day flights = blinds open unless the sun is shing directly on to IFE screens, in which case halfway down.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:28 am

I find the blinds being down on daytime flights slightly claustrophobic. I would prefer blinds being up and will use eye shades if I wish to sleep. Airlines in the USA have an annoying habit of dropping blinds on the longer domestic sectors so that a movie can be shown. I would rather catch glimpses of the fascinating changes in the US scenery than watch the same old, tired, predictable Hollywood garbage that has been churned out over the past 20 years!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:12 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by matthandy
An eye mask and ear plugs are your friends.
In CW though these 'friends' come only at specific request now. In Y I suppose you have to bring your own 'friends'.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:17 am

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
But as day dawns over the Atlantic, Himalayas or Andaman Sea please don't half lift the blinds for a few seconds every minute or so to check on the clouds.
Also known as "happy blind slapper syndrome", it's very annoying, choose one or the other please and stop repeatedly opening and then slamming the blind shut. That said not quite as annoying as "happy overhead locker slapper syndrome"
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:39 am

"happy blind slapper syndrome"

I am puzzled by this syndrome. It's pretty hard to slam one of those window blinds, at least loud enough to wake up the rest of the cabin. So is it really a preference that people who like to look out of the windows during day flights should keep their blinds either open or shut continuously throughout? If shut once, it should stay shut throughout the flight? If the blinds can be shut without "slamming", is it more acceptable to open and shut them quietly for stretches of 10 minutes or so, than say stretches of just a few seconds?

Originally Posted by TheBaps
Also known as "happy blind slapper syndrome", it's very annoying, choose one or the other please and stop repeatedly opening and then slamming the blind shut. That said not quite as annoying as "happy overhead locker slapper syndrome"
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vibguy
In CW though these 'friends' come only at specific request now. In Y I suppose you have to bring your own 'friends'.
Nope, all the (full service) airlines I've travelled on in Y have had ear plugs and blindfolds on request for their long haul services.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:47 am

A solution - those who are complaining one way or another - just always fly on a 787.

No blinds to trouble you. Even with the window on maximum dim you can still see out. With the window on medium dim it's dim enough to allow sleeping.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by MPH1980
A solution - those who are complaining one way or another - just always fly on a 787.

No blinds to trouble you. Even with the window on maximum dim you can still see out. With the window on medium dim it's dim enough to allow sleeping.
Not great though if it's light outside and you're on the sunny side of the plane!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by tc69
I am puzzled by this syndrome. It's pretty hard to slam one of those window blinds, at least loud enough to wake up the rest of the cabin. So is it really a preference that people who like to look out of the windows during day flights should keep their blinds either open or shut continuously throughout? If shut once, it should stay shut throughout the flight? If the blinds can be shut without "slamming", is it more acceptable to open and shut them quietly for stretches of 10 minutes or so, than say stretches of just a few seconds?

I think you missed the point. This mini-section of the discussion was about the aircraft flying eastwards through dawn. For long-haul flights this will generally be halfway through the night for the passengers: lucky ones will be fast asleep. Opening a blind can be annoying, but the other passengers can adjust to it: constantly opening and closing a blind, sending periodic bright shafts of light across a darkened cabin, creates a nuisance.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
Originally Posted by tc69
I don't know I've sat near people on a number of occasions who manage to make plenty of noise opening and closing the blind.

Perhaps someone could write a smartphone app to help you with the correct, most annoying, blind sequencing, or perhaps an app that lets you know that the view still consists of solid cloud saving you the bother
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DrGee
I've never encountered a problem so far. However, I like to book a window seat so that I can look out on the very interesting planet below (when not obscured by clouds) and read in proper daylight.

Admittedly I'm not one of the frequent travellers that seem to find those of us that travel only a few times a year so tiresome but if I want to look out of the window then I'm going to do so.

If it's a night flight then it's dark outside so who cares? If you want to sleep during daylight hours get a decent mask and earplugs. Of course there's a certain amount of live and let live required but I really do fail to understand why some seem to expect others to conform to their own personal lifestyle.
Yes a bit of common sense by everyone is all that is needed. Some folk seem to forget they are sharing a confined space with the general public and no-one has the right to demand what others do as long as they are not breaking any rules. I've never heard any announcement telling me to shut up, put your light out,don't move and go to sleep.
Having said that in over fifty years of flying I can't say I've ever encountered any behaviour from an adult individual that has bothered me that much.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I'm faintly puzzled by the light aspect anyway. I thought eyelids were less effective as you got older, yet I still find that closing my eyes shuts out light (OK, probably not a spotlight in my face). We don't even have curtains in our bedroom, but daylight still doesn't wake me up even in high summer. I can only assume I'm strange.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.