Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow T5 minimal connecting time: 20 minutes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Executive, LH Frequent Flyer

Several months ago, I booked a British Airways flight from Brussels to LAX via LHR (flight was booked on the AA website as a AA codeshare). On my return trip (LAX-LHR-BRU), the flight from LHR to BRU was cancelled a couple of days ago, and I was automatically rebooked on an earlier flight to Brussels (at least, according to the automated email I received from AA). My connecting time in Heathrow (terminal 5) has now been reduced to ... 20 minutes! Since gates close 20 minutes before departure, it is clear that it is impossible to make that connection. What options does the airline has to offer me? I have to be back in Brussels in time for a meeting, so a rebooking on a later LHR-BRU is not an option for me. Do you think AA/BA will allow me to reschedule my return flight one day earlier at no cost (although I booked the most strict fare there is)? I am puzzled here ...
Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:05 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
MCT for a T5 to T5 connection is 60 minutes. I suggest you call BA to discuss your options.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The Minimum connecting time at T5 is 60 mins so this booking will not work.

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you did nothing it would probably be pushed out to a later flight automatically, but you may want to ring in to get it sorted sooner. It's a 1 hour minimum for connections at LHR. I can't see BA allowing you to go the day before, but you should certainly ask, and given the frequency of flights and risk of delays anyway, I'm not sure the "but I will be late for my meeting" will cut much ice. They may allow a full refund if you can demonstrate the new service is not fit for purpose, but normally they would want an impact greater than 4 hours before they will look at that.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
Since it is a AA ticket you will probably have the best luck calling AA to have the changes made.

I would suggest that you find the route you want to take LAX-BRU on the date you desire and give that to the phone support folks.

Some suggestions for your new flights could include:
Earlier BA or AA LAX-LHR (Currently 3 flights most days)
Different connection airport
Fly a day earlier
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Slightly o/t but would appreciate advice on this. Am flying JFK to Heathrow arr LHR at 18.55 on a Friday night in F. I was hoping to then get another BA flight (separate PNR) to CDG - flight departs at 20.35 - given its a Friday night, what are peoples thoughts on whether this is doable given its separate PNR but can get luggage checked thru no immigration etc. On any other night would be happy to risk it, but the Friday factor is worrying me - both ex JFK and LHR. Any advice appreciated
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
BA in JFK should check your bags through to CDG and you will just have to go through security at flight connections.
These early departures out of New York tend to run on time if not early so I do not foresee a problem.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wtcmor
Slightly o/t but would appreciate advice on this. Am flying JFK to Heathrow arr LHR at 18.55 on a Friday night in F. I was hoping to then get another BA flight (separate PNR) to CDG - flight departs at 20.35 - given its a Friday night, what are peoples thoughts on whether this is doable given its separate PNR but can get luggage checked thru no immigration etc. On any other night would be happy to risk it, but the Friday factor is worrying me - both ex JFK and LHR. Any advice appreciated
It will not be a problem. Make sure you have the information about your onward flight ready at the JFK check in desk so it can be properly tagged.

Either in the lounge at LHR or before boarding begins on the CDG flight, it is worth checking that your bag is actually ready to be loaded onto the CDG flight, especially if the agent at JFK has any trouble at all. (Personal experience.)
Old Nov 30, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Thanks for the advice
Old Nov 30, 2014, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Executive, LH Frequent Flyer
Thx for the advice. I phoned AA, and remarkably, I was offered a full refund because the new schedule did not work out well for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.