Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do the UK Lounges Serve Special Food On Request?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:47 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

Hi All

Mods if this is better placed elsewhere then please feel free to move.

I was just reading the thread about bringing own food into lounges which seems to be more US based and was wondering about UK based lounges.

After a recent flight and connection at LHR, because of the time of day when I arrived, there was plenty of sandwiches available along with soup and fruit. The change over to hot dishes took place about five minutes before I was due to go to my next boarding gate for my domestic flight.

Now, all of the sandwiches had an allergen warning and specifically the one I am trying to avoid at the moment (gluten).

I did have a bowl of soup (without bread roll) and pushed myself to the leaving limit and quickly scoffed a small bowl of chicken curry before I toddled off to the gate.

This brings me to the question, if say during the time that only sandwiches are being served, do the lounges have the capacity to produce gluten free ones on request or is it a case of whatever is on display?

Safe & Happy travels

S
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I suspect that it would be only what is on display, however, your question does raise the point that the lounge should cater for those with certain food allergies or preferences. I wonder if it does to a satisfactory level at the moment.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:18 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
I believe they do serve 'special meals' in the lounges.

You may have to pre-book, but I'm not sure about that.

I've seen kosher meals being served in T5 GF.

A call to customer services should clarify things, or perhaps there is info at ba.com.

Coming to think about it, I've seen signs in the lounges in the past, saying that Gluten and Lactos free alternatives are available on request, but that was a while back.

bjorns
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Gluten free snacks (biscuits) are available on request, I gather they aren't very tasty, but anyway. Kosher hot food is available in CCR and Flounge too, but there is only a limited stock and I think it would be unfair to ask for that - except perhaps right at the end of the day - since the TLV flight leaves late and it could deprive someone of their only food option for a very long time if connecting in from the US. There is fruit salad and fruit items in all lounges - apples, oranges, bananas, pears, something BS has greatly improved over the previous catering company.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:38 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Interesting. As I say, was just wondering. But it would be nice to be able to request a sandwich or two made with gluten free bread.

On that note, just about to have some gluten free square sausage on gluten free bread and have a puff on my e-cig whilst drinking a glass of water .

Safe & Happy travels

S
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: BAEC
I remember last year asking for just some egg and bacon (rather than having to take an egg muffin and and bacon muffin from the counter, then discard the muffin), and initally being told to wait whilst they got me a plate. After 15 mins, I asked again, and was told to take the muffins on display, and then remove the contents. The waiter said people did it all the time.

So it seems like special requests in GC aren't very well dealt with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.