Wiki Posts
Search

BA seat selection aggravation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
BA seat selection aggravation

Flying on BA tomorrow ORD-LHR and wasn't able to select a seat for wife to sit next to me (business class) ... so at the appointed 24 hour mark went through all the bs redundancies (enter bday and PP numbers for the eleventeenth times) to finally select her seat and move mine if necessary, only to find they've assigned her a seat (NOT next to me) and it's no longer possible to change either of our seats.

What a totally crap process.

I am Sapphire on One World, and if that isn't (wasn't) helpful when I called to ask if they could please "let us" sit together a few days ago (NO - must wait until 24 hrs prior for hers) I would think biz class seats might "allow" for such a modest accommodation. Expert Flyer now shows "error" on that flight seats (BA 0296 on 26 Nov) to try to gain any further seat info.

What a totally crap process. Any suggestions? I guess I'll call Hong Kong BA# again late tonite on Google voice and plead for a little help. Again.

Did I mention I think this is a crap process (?)
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:09 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 1:28 am
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

(OP)
Thanks for the response - I'm giving up, after calling again and trying to explain such a simple request and being told it's impossible for them to help now that it's under 24 hrs (Catch 22 -- can't be done MORE than 24 hrs out, and can't be "fixed" in the period less than 24 hrs, even tho BA assigned it willy-nilly). I was on the system within 15 minutes of 24 hr mark. Why would they assign it like that (and then refuse to adjust it)?

Yes, separate PNRs, so a (very) modest level of accommodation. Plenty of seats showing before the errors started ... but now, having followed prescribed seating policy, and this level of incompetence and inflexibility?

Breath-taking.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:46 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 1:24 am
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:21 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by Winston3-4
(OP)
this level of incompetence and inflexibility?

Breath-taking.
It's quite easy to see BA's seating policy. It you took a few moments to see how BA offers allocated seats, you wouldn't have got yourself in such a pickle.

1. You could have booked on the same PNR and both selected seats at the time of booking.

2. You could have paid for your wife's seat, in advance of T+24. This option would have been available in Manage My Booking, Seating. Hardly rocket science.

3. You could have checked your wife in first, into a seat next to your (if available) at T-24

4. You could have checked in online at T-24 and selected "collect at the airport", to enable further seat changes.

The only valid point in your rant is that there is no warning at the online check-in page that "if you select, print/fax/email/collect on my mobile you will not be able to change seats again". But many airlines don't allow seat changes about printing the boarding pass. Some do (S7), some don't (BA).

At this point your options are to ask to be offloaded (make up some excuse that you want to change flights, but make sure they don't make any changes on the phone), then start OLCI all over again. Or ask at the check-in desks at the airport.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
or when you get on the plane ask the person sitting next to you or the person next to your wife if they would mind moving.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Go to the airport early and ask if there are any two seats together in the cabin. Hopefully, they might be able to help.

I think that there is a bit of confusion in the "not possible more than 24 hours // not possible less than 24 hours" because we are not talking about the same thing:

- more than 24 hours before your first flight, we are talking about seat pre-assignment. It is free for you as OW sapphire and anyone on your PNR, but if anyone else is on a separate PNR, you won't assign them a seat for free. BA will absolutely not bulge from that (it would be exactly the same if you were OW sapphire through a BA silver card) because what you are asking them is not "minor accommodation" but for a fee to be waived. There is nothing preventing you from sitting people on other PNRs next to you, but there is simply a fee associated with it. Only BA Gold get that fee waived through TCP in such circumstances and not anyone else.

- less than 24 hours before your first flight, we are talking about check in. At that time, the flight has moved to airport control so in effect, it is not a case of assigning seats but of checking in. As others have pointed out, a particularly annoying aspect of ba OLCI (and I can't think of many other airlines doing the same) is that once your print your BP/check in on mobile phone, you can't change the seat any more. You can call again, ask them if they can cancel your and/or your wife check in so that you can check in again knowing that but you may well lose whatever seat you like in the meantime. Alternatively, as mentioned, ask at the airport, unless flights are full, you may well be able to sit together but probably not in your favourite seats.

If not, as mentioned by others, you can ask onboard with the standard decent practice being that you offer the "better" seat to someone in a less good one and not the other way round.

PS: a minor error in the way you are reading things: BA won't have "assigned" a seat in your wife as in advance-assigned. Basically, at the time she checked in (and that one time only) she will have been put in a seat best corresponding to her visible requests (usually window/aisle/anything). This is not a pre-assignment but an oddity that means that once the check in process is started the passenger is given a seat which can then be changed. And of course no particular reason that seat would have been next to you as separate PNRs (if on same PNRs people are usually automatically proposed seats together if available).
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
or when you get on the plane ask the person sitting next to you or the person next to your wife if they would mind moving.
And not get the hump if they politely decline.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Yes, separate PNRs, so a (very) modest level of accommodation.
Free pre-allocation for a non-status passenger who's travelling with a status passenger but on a separate booking is expressly a benefit for Golds/Emeralds. If they start allowing Silvers/Sapphires to have this "modest level of accommodation" as well, how fair is that to Golds/Emeralds?

The reality appears to be that many other people had better and prior claims to specific seats than your wife did. You could have jumped the queue by paying, but you chose not to. That's one of the risks of gambling - you can lose.

Your experience probably demonstrates exactly why BA does operate such a restrictive seating policy - it's needed to keep enough choice for those who have better entitlements than your wife did.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:28 am
Original Poster

(OP)
Interesting reading all the interpretations, and am learning much, thanks. I see only a somewhat silly semantics difference between being assigned a seat and "put" in a seat at check-in as one response suggests (and then no simple way to change it). Save for the off-loading request (requiring yet another call to a call center, long hold, etc) which may have worked, the process seems intentionally muddled, restrictive, and largely irrevocable --- to teach you to pay for advance selection. Well done BA. The separate PNRs were for a reason, and have certainly contributed to this.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:35 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 9:59 pm
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: GGLfL
(OP)
Interesting reading all the interpretations, and am learning much, thanks. I see only a somewhat silly semantics difference between being assigned a seat and "put" in a seat at check-in as one response suggests (and then no simple way to change it).
You get don't "put" in a seat at check-in. It may offer a seat by default, and then there is the magic "change seat" option.

It is extremely unlikely that she was "put" in a seat with no option to change, unless the cabin is full (and all 3 BA flights show J9 today).

Even if OLCI is interrupted, it still doesn't lock in the seat these days.

If you go back to OLCI, does it offer the option of changing seat? If not, it would appear that you selected print/email/fax boarding pass.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
Even if OLCI is interrupted, it still doesn't lock in the seat these days.

If you go back to OLCI, does it offer the option of changing seat? If not, it would appear that you selected print/email/fax boarding pass.
Is this now the case even for non-status passengers? There used to be a difference, in that status passengers could go back into the system to change their seat so long as they didn't generate a BP but non-status passengers were stuck with what they first chose.

However, the bigger issue seems to me to be the fact that if you're on two separate bookings, this sort of thing is a risk. The OP seemed to expect that the non-status passenger would be TCPd and seated next to him, but was correctly told no by BA. And being separated would be liable to cause a lot of upset. Yet the OP didn't do the thing which is routinely recommended here as the sensible thing to do in these circumstaces: pay for the other seat allocation.

Even if one takes the view that one shouldn't have to, it's still the sensible thing to do within the system that BA operates; not doing so is a gamble, and on this occasion the OP lost.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: BA; SQ; Hyatt; Hilton
Why does everyone assume the OP had checked in (and printed/emailed the boarding pass) for one or other (in fact, necessarily both) passengers before trying to change the seats? That would be an illogical thing to do and he doesn't say that's what he did.

In his situation, it is perfectly reasonably to wait until T-24 and try to allocate adjacent seats. There is a risk that there won't be any adjacent seats, but that doesn't seem to be the case here - instead he is unable for some reason to allocate a seat for either passenger, other than that allocated by default at OLCI. Seems the OP is the victim of a BA IT bug, of which there are many.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.