MCT at Dublin - repositioning flights

Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
One thing I am not sure about cws, if you take the connections route from the baggage hall where you end up coming out at security? Do you get fed in to normal security, fast track, or does that route have a completely separate security lane?
See the diagram above. The transfer channel is separate to "normal security" and to "fast track".
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I never said that you don't. And the diagram shows that you go through the immigration clearance in the transfer channel, followed by the security check.
Ah, ok. I thought when you were saying baclubflyer was wrong you were suggesting there was a route which bypassed immigration.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KARFA
One thing I am not sure about cws, if you take the connections route from the baggage hall where you end up coming out at security? Do you get fed in to normal security, fast track, or does that route have a completely separate security lane?
See the diagram above. The transfer channel is separate to "normal security" and to "fast track".
Indeed, and in fact it puts you in the wrong side for Fast Track. I should have said in my earlier post that's why personally I'd prefer to go landside, it's reasonably short, well signposted (so you don't waste time getting your bearings) - in order to be well positioned for Fast Track which is on the far right side of main security in a glassed off area. Not that Slow Track is a big issue, if you are running tight and show your boarding pass to the pink day-glo'd staff I'm sure you would be whisked to the front.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:05 am

So your diagram shows another route and distinct from the connections route which is to the right of the T1 baggage hall? Your diagram sees to show walking all the way to T2, going through conenctions there, and presumably having to walk all the way back to T1? Any reason you would want to do that instead of staying in T1?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Indeed, and in fact it puts you in the wrong side for Fast Track. I should have said in my earlier post that's why personally I'd prefer to go landside, it's reasonably short, well signposted (so you don't waste time getting your bearings) - in order to be well positioned for Fast Track which is on the far right side of main security in a glassed off area. Not that Slow Track is a big issue, if you are running tight and show your boarding pass to the pink day-glo'd staff I'm sure you would be whisked to the front.
Ok, so to summarise the three routes:

1. Go via connections route in T1 which is to the right hand side of the T1 baggage hall - this puts you in T1 normal track security and means you can't use fast track.

2. Exit to T1 landside, up one floor to departures, along to security, turn right to head to fast track.

3. Go to T2 connections centre (route shown in irishguy28's diagram), clear immigration and security there (separate security area from routes 1 or 2), and walk back to T1.

In terms of recommended preference order, it seems to be 2>1>3.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Hi

Just a quick question I am considering doing a similar 40 mins turnaround, although have 21 hours before the flight to NYC so no issues in regards missing the main flight.

I fly from LCY rather than LHR though to Dublin and wondered does anyone know at Dublin if the LCY flights are bussed or walkway and if they exit from front and back or just front in DUB.

Thanks
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by toddml
Hi

Just a quick question I am considering doing a similar 40 mins turnaround, although have 21 hours before the flight to NYC so no issues in regards missing the main flight.

I fly from LCY rather than LHR though to Dublin and wondered does anyone know at Dublin if the LCY flights are bussed or walkway and if they exit from front and back or just front in DUB.

Thanks
Here are links to my LCY-DUB recent experience.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23777468-post191.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23778840-post198.html

If this is what normally happens you would be fine. Exit and boarding in my case was from both front and back.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by toddml
Hi

Thanks
All of the above, depending on parking position.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Doable if all goes well, suicidal to attempt it. I never would, it is asking for trouble and regrets.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
I've decided to stay the night for my positioning flights. Means I can head out into Dublin as well the day before and stay at the Airport Hilton with free transfers to the airport for my morning flight!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Jamier45
I've decided to stay the night for my positioning flights. Means I can head out into Dublin as well the day before and stay at the Airport Hilton with free transfers to the airport for my morning flight!
much better choice than the turnaround! I've never tried the airport Hilton (I usually stay at the Radisson if I have an early start from DUB) but have heard good things about it.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I stayed there once and it was fine.

It's a bit remote, though - I'd prefer either to stay in the city proper, or stay at the airport proper, rather than in one of these "half-way" hotels that are neither airport or city, especially if I'm planning on going out in the city.

I think that you did the right thing by planning to arrive the night before. It's what I always do, when I position ahead of a "big" ticket. Why run the risk and hassle and worry, right, when you can start your vacation the night before?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
I stayed there once and it was fine.

It's a bit remote, though - I'd prefer either to stay in the city proper, or stay at the airport proper, rather than in one of these "half-way" hotels that are neither airport or city, especially if I'm planning on going out in the city.

I think that you did the right thing by planning to arrive the night before. It's what I always do, when I position ahead of a "big" ticket. Why run the risk and hassle and worry, right, when you can start your vacation the night before?
The Hiltons lovely actually,they take a back route to the airport that avoids traffic.
I'd consider going into Malahide village by taxi instead of Dublin City centre if it's summer time.Its very scenic,seaside,with some lovely pubs and restaurants
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
MCT at Dublin - repositioning flights

I'm staying in an airport hotel the night before I start my journey but on the return, I'm doing same plane turnaround. Like cws says, what's the worst that can happen? I will have no luggage at all (not even hand luggage) and I'm in 1C on both flights, so hoping that I'll be fine. If I miss it and I can't charm my way on to the next flight, then I will book a separate ticket on any airline to any London airport.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:38 am

For those flying LON-DUB to begin an international long-haul DUB-LON-(longhaul) I read in another thread that, iirc, you're subject to full (i.e. ex-UK) APD if your bags are checked through the DUB transit or boarding passes for DUB-LON are issued to you before arriving DUB.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.