Latest BA "To Fly. To Serve" advert

Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Welcome to FT VintageWoolno. ^
Thanks for having me)
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
I recall seeing Concorde fly over Twickenham (the hallowed grounds of HQ, of course) during the Sevens....I can't recall the BA ad song that the crowd started singing....anyone? I never did get to fly on her but was hoping! Missed out on the QEII as well. Now I don't wait....I try to get a flight on all the new planes pretty quickly.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:29 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by headingwest
What a shame she retired from service before I was in a position to be able to afford a Concorde flight. Now that I can afford to, I'd pay a small fortune for the opportunity.
I believe the price was something like 100k miles and 50 each way, just to rub it in.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:12 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
I only got to fly it twice, had to pay almost a month's net salary, and although it was the biggest waste of money, I loved it. This is one of my favourite photos (excluding the ones of the family of course!):
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:28 am

Is that the shard sticking up out of the clouds? Or the Empire State Building?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Its hard to tell, but if you look very closely, I think its ego shaped
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by paulwuk
I got one of those little planes that carries an advertising banner behind it to put one with my name on it, climb to 40,000 feet, and then dive straight down. Nice touch, eh
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:31 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
I still have my Concorde hip flask. Don't remember anything about the flight though as it was an LHR-JFK in 1981 with my Grandfather and I was 3 years old
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by HighLife
I still have my Concorde hip flask. Don't remember anything about the flight though as it was an LHR-JFK in 1981 with my Grandfather and I was 3 years old
You had a hip flask as a 3 year old!?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:09 am

Programs: Meh
Sorry to bring the tone down but I would rather their new campaign showed new seats etc. Living on past glories this says to me.

I say this knowing we are on a BA forum and Concorde is a loved item.....I actually flew as a 12 year old from SNN over Iceland and back on a practice run. Was awesome.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Wrong thread.

Last edited by Paralytic; Nov 24, 2014 at 4:16 am
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
Would have loved to do it, 2-4-1 redemption and a bit of Avios would have been great as the cost would have been above my disposable income.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I always regretted not having got my act together to do it before the retirement announcement. I had good reasons to take my companion on Concorde, and resigned myself to having to extend my mortgage to do so, before it became impossible. Then one day, award availability for a weekend trip came up, and I grabbed it as fast as I could. It was a very very special experience.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
One can only hope that supersonic transport will be available again, someday....
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC
Missed oportunities

Back in the 90's when I worked at the West Drayton ATC centre, I worked on the sector that controlled Concorde (The West End) and living west of Heathrow got to see or hear it almost every day. I could afford to do one of the supersonic round the bay of Biscay trips but decided to save it until my 40th birthday. While waiting for that day, I booked a trip on a sub-sonic positioning flight to Glasgow, it was doing a special flight that day. I paid 299 for a one way from Heathrow and got a pencil, special ticket wallet and baggage tag. I enjoyed the champagne on offer but don't remember any food being offered. We cruised up at FL390 at mach .95 and got a visit to the flight deck around the MARGO reporting point (soon to be renamed ABEVI). On arrival at Glasgow we were allowed to walk around the outside of the aircraft and take photos for about 30 minutes. My return flight was on easyJet to Luton and cost 29.

Was it worth it? Definitely.

I never got to do the supersonic flight, mortgages and children stopped all that and when it was announced that Concorde would cease flying, I couldn't get a ticket on any of the special flights.

The aircraft I flew on was G-BOAB which stands idle near the end of runway 27L, I see her most trips out of LHR and think it's a sad end to a beautiful lady. I had heard that she was to be on display in the new T5 but that never happened, I wish BA would do something useful with her though.

I am just pleased that I got to fly on the best looking passenger aircraft ever. (Other opinions are available ).

Last edited by Nimrod1965; Dec 1, 2014 at 3:39 am Reason: spelling: see me

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.