Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Where should we go? Summer 2015 Avios Holiday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:03 am
formerly rxfleming
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite

Hoping for some friendly advice from all you Wordly travellers.

So. Nadia (that's the OH for those who haven't met us) and I are wanting to use some Avios for a trip abroad next year. We want to fly J and will most likely start in the EU for cheaper taxes.

-We are happy to spend about 400k and fly J or F
- Dates are around 7th May to 20th May
-Needs to be on a beach area
-Hotel Budget of Ł2000
-Prefer to fly OW Partner than BA
-Prefer to depart from AMS, DUB or OSL
-10 days or less

We have looked at CX to Cebu from AMS ... Which comes in quite cheap in taxes. Anyone got any experience of being out there and recommendations?

Maldives is also on the possible list - any advice for there too?

Happy to hear other outlandish destinations we haven't even thought of. Nadia said Belize... I'm not too sure!!

Thanks

Last edited by travelwithross; Nov 22, 2014 at 9:05 am
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
My parents have been to Maldives and said it was preety much perfection. Also went to Jamaica for their 25th wedding anniversary and had an amazing time.

Have you thought about St Lucia?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:10 am
formerly rxfleming
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jamier45
My parents have been to Maldives and said it was preety much perfection. Also went to Jamaica for their 25th wedding anniversary and had an amazing time.

Have you thought about St Lucia?
Thanks!

Terrible J availability to UVF and not keen on paying the hefty BA taxes from LON. Much prefer to use a OW partner carrier for this trip ex EU
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by rxfleming
Thanks!

Terrible J availability to UVF and not keen on paying the hefty BA taxes from LON. Much prefer to use a OW partner carrier for this trip ex EU
You may have already left it a bit late to get summer 2015 J/F Avios seats to many holiday destinations. I booked my F seats to UVF for March 2015 in March 2014 when there was plenty of availability.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:46 am
formerly rxfleming
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SteveF
You may have already left it a bit late to get summer 2015 J/F Avios seats to many holiday destinations. I booked my F seats to UVF for March 2015 in March 2014 when there was plenty of availability.
Absolutely, yet, I don't have the ability to book a year in advance due to the nature of the work we both do.

Been looking at Langkawi in Malaysia... But can only find J availability on MH from FRA rather than AMS/CDG. Anyone got any experience of Langkawi?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Have you considered Bali? I've personally never been before (I must be the only person from Western Australia who hasn't!!), but have heard great things about Seminyak and Ubud. CX, MH and QR all fly there, so that could possibly increase your chances of a redemption.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:05 am
formerly rxfleming
Original Poster

Originally Posted by perthflyer
Have you considered Bali? I've personally never been before (I must be the only person from Western Australia who hasn't!!), but have heard great things about Seminyak and Ubud. CX, MH and QR all fly there, so that could possibly increase your chances of a redemption.
Its on the list, but can't find availability back in J on our dates...
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Absolutely, yet, I don't have the ability to book a year in advance due to the nature of the work we both do.

Been looking at Langkawi in Malaysia... But can only find J availability on MH from FRA rather than AMS/CDG. Anyone got any experience of Langkawi?
Langkawi is a great place as is Malaysia as a whole. I haven't visited in the European summer months so it might be worth checking how the weather is then.

QR will get you there via DOH & KUL with the final leg on MH. Their new J cabin on the 787 is used from several EU departure points. Even ex UK the charges are just about tolerable.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Nov 22, 2014 at 9:13 am
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a good time of year for Bali, or indeed much of Indonesia. Lombok is smaller, less cultural but more scenic or you could combine the 2. Nice time of year for East Africa.

Hurricane season in the Caribbean as well as very hot and humid. Much of SE Asia is under monsoon conditions or just very hot and humid.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Curacao? Caribbean area but outside of hurricane zone. My mother went there last July and told me that weather was good.

AB flies there directly from DUS, btw
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Its on the list, but can't find availability back in J on our dates...
I've not got a clue about SIN redemptions, but Bintan in Indonesia (which has a Club Med) is a short ferry ride from Singapore, so if there is SIN availability that could be a possibility.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:07 pm
formerly rxfleming
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lefly
Curacao? Caribbean area but outside of hurricane zone. My mother went there last July and told me that weather was good.

Thanks! Hadn't even thought of that. AB direct from DUS is also a plus.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard

Save the avios and go to HNL / OGG / LIH ;-))

Kidding.

Interesting thread. Might investigate some of the ideas myself. Unless I am invited along of course! ;-)
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:36 pm
K&C

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Lefly

Last May/June/July was very dry across the whole of the Caribbean. When visiting
family compared to other years you could see the difference when flying in and we hardly had any rain.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver

Yes i have experience, a bit out of date as we went not long after the boxing day tsunami in 04, so it was almost deserted. I liked it however prefer bail (you said you couldn't find availability)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.