Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

seat selection charges on first class award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

I am flying EWR-BCN via LHR on an AA first class award. The LHR-BCN flight has European business class but no first class seats.

There is no charge for first class seat assignments. BA charges $33 for an advance seat assignment in business class. Since I am on a first-class award, I feel entitled to free assigned seats on all segments.

I plan to call BA and ask it to waive the $33 charge. Any suggestions as to how I might approach this?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
As a US Platinum that makes you OneWorld Saphire which should give you free seat assignments on BA. Since you used an AA award, your US platinum number might not be in the reservation. You can use the BA Manage my booking to add your US Airways FF number. It might take 24 hours to match up, but once it does you should be able to select seats on the LHR-BCN flight. You can also use the Finnair sight to add your number if the BA Site gives you any problems. You needn't make any phone calls to BA. It should all happen automatically, and you can select the seats online.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:08 am
AAL

Not worth paying the $33, that's for sure. None of the business class seats on that LHR-BCN flight are very special.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
I do think this is mad. I recently booked my mum a 'Club Europe' ticket from GLA to DUB (via LHR). For the GLA-LHR sector it booked her into J class so allowed her to select her seat for free, but on the LHR-DUB sector, it booker her in I class so she had to pay for a seat reservation (if she choose one). I believe, similar to luggage, that if you're allowed it on one leg, you should be allowed it on your full ticket. It's not a great customer experience in my view.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
If you are oneworld Emerald or Sapphire, make sure your number is in the booking in MMB as you can then choose seats for free from time of booking in all cabins (oneworld Ruby from 7 days before).

If you don't hold oneworld status, you can choose your seats for free from 24 hours before at check-in. The advance seat selection fee will not be waived, even if you have a First flight somewhere on the booking.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:40 am
Original Poster

I am platinum now but will not be at time of travel. If I use status to choose a seat now, will I lose the seat when I lose my status?

Last edited by KyRoamer; Nov 22, 2014 at 1:48 pm
Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by KyRoamer
I am platinum now but will not be at time of travel. If I use status to choose a seat now, will I loose the seat when I loose my status?
No - but you could get moved for op reasons...unlikely.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Airlineanorak
I do think this is mad. I recently booked my mum a 'Club Europe' ticket from GLA to DUB (via LHR).
Completely OT - but may I ask why you chose this routing? Was it a last minute booking, tier point-chasing or some other special circumstance?

EI have multiple direct flights every day (and FR go from PIK) - personally, either route would be significantly more preferable to going so far out of the way and adding a second flight!
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:42 am

Scots_Al - my mum lives in Scotland and I live in London. We are going to DUB together and my mum preferred to come via LHR and for me to join her on one of the sectors. She loves flying so it was all the more exciting for her to have 4 flights rather than 2 - perhaps I should get her signed up to here! It all worked out fine since I am a GCH and in her LHR - DUB sectors, I called BA and they've put my mum next to me free of charge. But you're right, it is a very mad routing! 😃
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Airlineanorak
Scots_Al - my mum lives in Scotland and I live in London. We are going to DUB together and my mum preferred to come via LHR and for me to join her on one of the sectors. She loves flying so it was all the more exciting for her to have 4 flights rather than 2 - perhaps I should get her signed up to here! It all worked out fine since I am a GCH and in her LHR - DUB sectors, I called BA and they've put my mum next to me free of charge. But you're right, it is a very mad routing! 😃
Lol, thanks for satisfying my nosiness!

I think you should sign her up!
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

I got the seats. I will try to avoid changes once my status ends and hopefully will keep the seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.