Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

V upset 1 of 2 of us downgraded from First on Wedd Ann Trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

V upset 1 of 2 of us downgraded from First on Wedd Ann Trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Diabolical treatment by the airline, yet again in breach of the EU261 legislation.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by WelshGirl
All sorted ! Phew. Seats x 2 reinstated in First !
Very happy.
Thanks for all the help, am raising my Laurent Perrier to you all !
Well done! Enjoy the trip!!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:59 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Great news!
Bar perhaps for someone else downgraded in her place!

I assume someone has not turned up though

Originally Posted by Swampz64
I guess the computer doesn't recognise big events where everyone will travel. F award availability for a major weekend sounds like a BA mistake in the first place.
If the seats were released at T-355 then the 2014 GP schedule would probably not have been announced.

Programs: ABBA
I thought BA didn't overbook first?

We all know BA refuse to inform people of their rights other than by displaying a tiny notice in a filing cabinet in a locked basement with a sign saying beware of the leopard.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:00 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Diabolical treatment by the airline, yet again in breach of the EU261 legislation.
No downgrade occurred, so technically no breach regardless of what they didn't say or do.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:01 am

A good outcome - hope you really enjoy the trip.

Shame that you had the distress and disappointment in the first place. I hope that you will write to BA and complain even though it's been resolved. This sort of thing can really take the shine off a special trip.

I wonder if it would have been resolved like this without the robust response from FT to encourage the OP to seek her rights?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:06 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I'm really glad to see a positive conclusion to this.

Enjoy the trip.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:09 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by paulwuk
No downgrade occurred, so technically no breach regardless of what they didn't say or do.
Actually the airline is still in breach of EU261 as it didn't inform the OP of her rights when they attempted to downgrade her.

And this is very poor form... Having to have an F pax to "fight" to get what they were entitled in the first place. Absolutely disgraceful and not "well done" at all.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by mario
Actually the airline is still in breach of EU261 as it didn't inform the OP of her rights when they attempted to downgrade her.

And this is very poor form... Having to have an F pax to "fight" to get what they were entitled in the first place. Absolutely disgraceful and not "well done" at all.
Seconded what mario said, BA should have informed the OP of her passenger rights when originally downgraded at check-in counter.

But a positive ending to a bad performance by BA, though I would still not be happy as OP, as additional stress and having to sort this out instead of enjoying the lounge and breakfast.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
We all know BA refuse to inform people of their rights other than by displaying a tiny notice in a filing cabinet in a locked basement with a sign saying beware of the leopard.
Or rather

"All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for fifty of your Earth years so you've had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaints and its far too late to start making a fuss about it now...

...What do you mean you've never been to Alpha Centauri? Oh for heaven sake mankind it's only four light years away you know! I'm sorry but if you can't be bothered to take an interest in local affairs that's your own regard. Energise the demolition beams! God I don't know…apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all… "
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:32 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by SteveF
If the seats were released at T-355 then the 2014 GP schedule would probably not have been announced.
Indeed the revised calendar was published on Dec 4th. Doubly well-done to the OP if they jumped in immediately!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I thought BA didn't overbook first?
They can and do overbooked First by one passenger, but they typically close that out some time in advance. There were 2 problems here, for the GP people would book well in advance and not change their minds, plus apparently there was some spill over from yesterday's flights. I guess they have worked out that someone else won't be joining them today, hence the improved outcome.

I am not condoning the way this was handled but arguably the system worked out correctly here.But it's always good to OLCI for Grand Prix and events like the HK Sevens. Have a great time in AD.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by WelshGirl
Thanks all, I agree that the upset is made worse by the expectations being dashed .
First ( and probably last) time in First. Maybe the last Wedding Anniversary looking at WelshBoy's sad face !!!!
No mention of the amount of avios to be refunded, I was too naive and upset to clarify.
Will keep you updated.
Fingers crossed for the lovely Lewis !
Wowww, did I really read and understand THIS statement correctly????

WelshBoy will divorce you because of a seat on a plane?

Please guys help me understand the above.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by Swampz64
I guess the computer doesn't recognise big events where everyone will travel. F award availability for a major weekend sounds like a BA mistake in the first place.
They can overbook by one in F but as you say to do it over a major sporting event when it's 99% likely that everyone will turn up is extremely stupid.

Well yes, but you can also argue that until the 2014 GP schedule was announced there was only 'normal' demand to satisfy!

However, great news that it has been resolved satisfactorily, but what a unnecessarily stressful start to the weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.