Examples of Gold treatment in Y?

Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:12 am

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
I've always wanted one of those python-esq "Oooh so if it isn't Mr lar-di-da Gold Card holder come to visit us down back" style greetings, has never happened though
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
got free drink in Y on AA from LAX to LAS and also on US Air PHX to LAS.

I did have a moment tho - first CC on the AA flight said no drinks available, but the other crew member noticed my strategically placed BP and then the drink (s) miracusly appeared.

So 100% free drinks in my experience (limited ) in Y.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by HIDDY
What does a jealous glare look like?

I love these threads. They're a great insight into the mindset of fliers with status.
Couldn't have said it any better HIDDY. But there's a funnier one going on at the moment - the CCR door being open to everyone. Hilarious.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I think the jury's still out on whether that's a recognised benefit for OW Emeralds on AA or whether it's just a mistaken interpretation on the part of the FA's on some flights. It used to be (still is?) the case that a BA Gold's AA BP showed 'EXPLAT' which would go some way to explaining it.
I was recently flying with my husband (we're both BAEC GCHs) from LAS to JFK on AA in Y and I asked for some red wine and a cheese plate, and when I handed over my CC to pay the FA asked me if I was with my husband and upon hearing that I was told me that no payment was required. I was not sure why I did not qualify for a free drink and snack on my own as a GCH?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Like some of the other posters here, I have had far better treatment as an OW Emerald on CX and AA than I have as a GGL on BA.

In the last year, I have had no special treatment at all onboard on BA, including no personal greetings on any flight and no "goodies". I did once ask if I could have a glass of the wonderful Bourbon from the F cabin when travelling in CW, and this was provided with a smile, but this was on request. I have received absolutely nothing else, in any class...

On CX I was treated like their most important passenger on a 3.5 hour shortfall flight, with a visit from the CC maybe every 5 minutes. My last flight on AA, the single CC member hardly left my side! But BA, no...

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Nov 19, 2014 at 7:35 am
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Last time I flew in the cheap seats the crew asked me if I wanted to fly the plane for a bit.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mario
Couldn't have said it any better HIDDY. But there's a funnier one going on at the moment - the CCR door being open to everyone. Hilarious.
Hilarious? Really??
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HH Diamond.
Just assume as a GCH travelling cattle class that you haven't paid for it and so you ain't gonna get it.
Then there is no room for expectation or disappointment.

(Had the CSD come and welcome me etc.. twice in WT (JNB-LHR & LHR-ATL) in the past month)
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
I've only ever flown AA in Y once, and that was a horrible middle seat after an IRROP put me on a later (completely full and also running late) MIA-STT. There was certainly no special recognition on that - although everybody got a free drink to make up for the late departure. However I am due to fly AA Y again in February so we'll see what happens then.

In BA Y, I have nearly always got a welcome and usually an occasional follow up visit to see if I want anything, but have never been proactively offered anything from further forward. Indeed the only time I ever remember that happening was an offer of glass of brandy from CW when sat in WT+ (and I declined it).

Its (usually) nice when it happens, but it certainly doesn't bother me if it doesn't.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Like some of the other posters here, I have had far better treatment as an OW Emerald on CX and AA than I have as a GGL on BA.

In the last year, I have had no special treatment at all onboard on BA, including no personal greetings on any flight and no "goodies". I did once ask if I could have a glass of the wonderful Bourbon from the F cabin when travelling in CW, and this was provided with a smile, but this was on request. I have received absolutely nothing else, in any class...

On CX I was treated like their most important passenger on a 3.5 hour shortfall flight, with a visit from the CC maybe every 5 minutes. My last flight on AA, the single CC member hardly left my side! But BA, no...

Wow not a single thing as a GGL? Is this normal?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC
I've not received any special recognition flying in CE or ET since attaining GCH status. I've got a CE flight and ET flight coming up shortly. We'll see if anything changes.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wonder if they don't like the look of you they just go and find someone else.

That's what I would do.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Silver
Overheard purser yesterday on my LIS-LHR saying: "Excuse me, I got message for you from our executive club... they wanted me to say to you: thanks for your loyalty!". And then she walked off.

Made lady to which it was delivered blush and everyone else around laugh, purely how badly it was delivered.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Silver
I was sat in 12A in WT+ a few months back and the CSD/purser came to the front of the cabin, "Hi Paralytic, its great to see our Golds on board. BA would like to thank you for your custom etc etc"

When finished, she then said "I'm off to find my other Gold now" and walked back up the cabin. A few seconds later, she came back and started speaking to 12B "Hi Mr xxxx, its great to see our Golds on board. BA would like to thank you for your custom etc etc"

Almost word for word the same speech.

She then walked back through the curtain into CW. It's all in the delivery.

Last edited by Paralytic; Nov 19, 2014 at 11:34 am
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
I was given a welcome on board my flight to PHL back in August (when I was a Silver) and asked how I was finding the 787.

Also given a thanks for flying on AA last Dec (again, as a Silver).

Best treatment I've been given by far though was my flight to ZAG this past weekend - given "a bit of everything they have" for breakfast, addressed by name throughout and given a goodie bag of G+T to take home with me. Although that was probably more down to the fact I was the one and only passenger in J. Great experience, although I could feel every eye in the Y cabin on me throughout the flight, due to the curtains above the seats not being pulled!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.