Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pre-Christmas London Drinks : Friday 19 December 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Best dates for pre-holiday drinkies, London.
Friday 12 December
32.10%
Saturday 13 December
33.33%
Friday 19 December
53.09%
Saturday 20 December
34.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA

Venue
Tapster
3 Brewers Green
Buckingham Gate
SW1H 0RH

Kindly booked for us by LondonAndy.

It is a Davy’s winebar 5-10 minutes walk from Victoria station, close to St James’s Park station, (relatively) conveniently situated for all major London airports. It isn't the easiest place to find. It is at the junction of Caxton Street and Brewers Green, with a corner entrance to the wine bar downstairs (almost next door to the Blewcoat School which is a National Trust gift shop open until 17.30 if you arrive early!). If coming from Victoria Street turn down the road with "The Albert" on the corner.

There won't be any food provided as part of the Do, but Tapster do have a bar snacks menu which you can order from if you need some nibbles. See here for their Grazing Menu [PDF].

Map

Nearest tube stations, Victoria (, , ) and St James's Park (, )

Hotels
Current sales
Accor - super sale up to 40%, must be booked by 28 November
Hilton Winter Sale - rate codes PR08WR (room only) and PR08WB (b&b)
Ł20 off your first Ł100 lastminute.com hotel booking via their app using voucher code LMNAPP20 (credit to EI147 for noting this)

Attendees
af101, angeloedades, Arsey00, BA or bust, bafan (possible), balowlyblue, BDAgirl, Behindthecurtain, bermondseyflyer, BHDATC, BotB, CatchThePigeon, chansson, chris1979 (plus lurker friend), Chris9642, CMK10, Cris L, Deckard, dutch_122, EI147, FastTrak2Elite, Filthy Monkey, Flyiboy, GadgetGal, Gomac, hawklx, hsmall, hugolover, jackowilkinson, Johnny Rocket, jozdemir (possible), KARFA, KeaneJohn, littlefish, Mr Fish, londonbus, MarkLHR, matthandy, Mattyb44, mking, Physci, Polomarc, rxfleming, RGMD11, robertf999, Sealink, seaskybound, shefgab, sigma421, Sixth Freedom, skba1, Sky_hopper, skye1, sorp222, stevieed, teledude, thebutlers, TheFlyingDoctor, the_seeker1977, VFRonTop (possible), VH-EAB, visualAd, wadewadewade

Print Wikipost

Pre-Christmas London Drinks : Friday 19 December 2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Although I can't make the 19th (and have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that the 13th won't have a late surge ), I've popped into the Tapster and they have "the normal" space available that evening.

It isn't as glamorous as some places, but it does good food, good wine, and doesn't have loud music so you can actually talk rather than shout!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Although I can't make the 19th (and have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that the 13th won't have a late surge ), I've popped into the Tapster and they have "the normal" space available that evening.

It isn't as glamorous as some places, but it does good food, good wine, and doesn't have loud music so you can actually talk rather than shout!
Many thanks for checking LondonAndy, especially as you won't be able to attend on Friday 19 December. I am currently consulting with other member's of the Do Venue Committee, but I think this will be our choice.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Oooof, the 19th is the day after our Christmas party - so unfortunately I'm likely to be laid on my floor in the fetal position and gently weeping (if I can spare the fluids) while you're all out having fun
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I could potentially attend either, depends more on finding a babysitter who doesn't have plans on the chosen date...than anything else.

Just a thought, I could possibly help organise an un-DO (as I seem to be doing for SIN in January) for whichever weekend isn't chosen. I live pretty centrally and happen to have some friends who run a pub in Mayfair, and/or my local which doesn't usually charge unless no one drinks. As long as we spend x, it's generally free, and I've never organised anything there that hasn't done at least 2x so the requirement isn't outrageous. But I've never asked about a busy time such as Xmas so would have to check they'd do the same. A nice meal and a few drinks for a smaller crowd would be easy, though. I would, of course, start a new thread and not clog this one up.

Count me as working on it, for whatever date you choose!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by KARFA
Any rigging of the vote will be punishable by severe penalties
To expect the Spanish Inquisition?
http://notapunkrocker.files.wordpres...nquisition.jpg
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Although I can't make the 19th (and have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that the 13th won't have a late surge
Ditto! I will be in the Flounge on the 19th heading home to Perth (UK) for my Christmas break!

Regards

aks120
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Oooof, the 19th is the day after our Christmas party - so unfortunately I'm likely to be laid on my floor in the fetal position and gently weeping (if I can spare the fluids) while you're all out having fun
Though that clearly is the more reason to attend?

Need a drink to feel human again!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Based on the vote I think we might call this one 3 hours before polls close, so Friday 19 December it is from 6pm onwards at Tapster. Details all in the wiki now.

Apologies to those who wanted to come but could not make this date. Unfortunately with so many people it is never possible to have one date which works for everyone. Hopefully you can come the next time there is a Do - wherever it may be.

Remember this one is 6 days before Christmas so bring your mistletoe if you fancy snogging a stranger!

Last edited by KARFA; Nov 21, 2014 at 4:01 pm
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Working on the babysitter now.

Those of you only in town the weekend before, message me if you want to meet for a drink. You're all in the position I'm going to be in January in Singapore, and I feel for you.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:33 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Excellent news, 19th Dec it is then ^

I've booked the Conrad 200m away for the excellent Ł 98 + 32k HHonors points.

Looking forward to the DO
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BotB
Excellent news, 19th Dec it is then ^

I've booked the Conrad 200m away for the excellent Ł 98 + 32k HHonors points.

Looking forward to the DO
I saw the Conrad points & money offer and was nearly tempted, but decided against and have gone for the Doubletree Victoria. Beginning to think I should have treated myself now.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:49 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Originally Posted by KARFA
I saw the Conrad points & money offer and was nearly tempted, but decided against and have gone for the Doubletree Victoria. Beginning to think I should have treated myself now.
A good choice as well, still within stumbling distance and they treat diamonds well there. ^

Either is a good choice, good deals to be had with the DT Victoria, and good deals with the P + C at Conrad, less so with cash only or without Gold/Diamond status.

The former IHG Crowne Plaza nearby (now a TAJ St. James Court) is very good as well, stayed there last time there was a DO at the Tapsters and they treated me well.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
Now that the date is finalised, I am now looking forward to this Do!

Lots of familiar names and some new ones too ^.

/AE
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Originally Posted by kaneporta1
I will be arriving in London from Montreal on Friday 19th at 8am and will be catching my connecting flight at 12 noon. I can go for a few drinks in one of the Galleries Lounges or a very quick drink somewhere around Acton/Ealing, if the wife permits it...
Although my name appears in the wiki, as per my itinerary above, I will not be able to attend this do... Maybe next time.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
excellent news re 19th!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.