UA 1K switch to BA?

Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

UA 1K switch to BA?

I'm moving from SEA to London soon, but will be traveling a lot back and forth. United does not offer direct flights and BA seems to offer the most, while also offering LHR to Singapore directs which I'll need.

I'm trying to determine if BA is the best option, and if so, is there a way to switch without starting from the bottom rung in the Executive Club program?

I've called BA and been told they do not status match.

Any tips are appreciated. Thank you!
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Hi Lower and welcome to FT.

BA do not status match so you will not be able to avail of that. As a UK based traveler I would certainly think that BA would be your best option especially with the Alliance it can open up some very inspiring routes which could gain you status very quickly.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Get yourself status matched by AA. I think BA is making a huge mistake in considering EC so superior that they won't status match, but that is their problem and not yours. If you can get OWE with AA, you will enjoy most top-tier privileges when travelling with BA (including the occasional OpUp), with the exception that you'll miss out on the enjoyment of fuel surcharges when redeeming non-BA OW awards.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Yes, get OWE with AA and credit enough flights to keep it.
Then consider crediting flights to BA exec club, which will open up low cost redemptions in Europe and strangely on AA domestic flights.
You might be able to get a Status match with Cathay Pacific or OWE with them.
Have a look at www.headforpoints.com
Old Nov 13, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
If flying J or even F, at least silver status (oneworld sapphire) with BA will come quickly.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flip42
If flying J or even F, at least silver status (oneworld sapphire) with BA will come quickly.
In fact, if you do one indirect return routing in business (e.g., LHR - JFK - SEA) plus one domestic or European short haul you'd get to silver status.

Kill two birds with one stone and start and end your trip from a European destination (Oslo, Copenhagen, Brussels, Luxembourg, Amsterdam and sometimes Dublin probably being the best choices) and you can get to silver status in one trip. This can often mean discounted business fares sub $3k.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lower750 Welcome to the forum

Look here, in partcular post 3:- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
And here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:56 pm

Two other points to consider:
Being BA Gold/GGL will bring more benefits than just being AA Emerald. BA look better after their own golds than after those of other airline's.

Getting a shiny card on BA is easy if you travel in premium classes. If you travel only in Y it takes forever and it won't be much fun. If your travel pattern is mostly in Y the AA status match option mentioned above may be your best route.

Oh, and welcome to flying BA. When I switched sides (years and years ago) it was a marked step up from UA. Would be interested to hear how you think the two compare these days.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
BA look better after their own golds than after those of other airline's.
OpUps - maybe
IRROP handling - maybe

What else?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
OpUps - maybe
IRROP handling - maybe

What else?

I am AA EXP and fly a lot on BA. My OpUp rate is fair and seems to be within the (broad) range reported by BAEC golds. I haven't had too many significant irrops, but have been treated reasonably when they have occurred.

I think the big advantage a BA gold or silver would have is shorter wait times to speak to an agent. The very long hold times for people without BA status is an issue for me sometimes.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The choice of programme is fundamentally affected by the OP's travel patterns. If he/she flies mostly economy fares, then AA is the far better programme.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
A QR return to SIN in J will bring you within 40 points of BAEC Silver.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
OpUps - maybe
IRROP handling - maybe

What else?
GGL is a nice benefit and, assuming the OP does his travel pattern in J/F, a realistic option. The GUF, Joker, GGL line, etc won't happen on AA.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
GGL is a nice benefit and, assuming the OP does his travel pattern in J/F, a realistic option. The GUF, Joker, GGL line, etc won't happen on AA.
On flights on AA metal, an AA EXP could use his SWUs, which are similar to and more flexible than a GUF. Any Aadvantage member has a joker on every AA flight - there is always AA availability at a cost of increased miles.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by jlsw7
On flights on AA metal, an AA EXP could use his SWUs, which are similar to and more flexible than a GUF. Any Aadvantage member has a joker on every AA flight - there is always AA availability at a cost of increased miles.
No, the "joker" opens up rewards space at the same amount of miles as a saver award.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.