Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow Terminal 1 International - A Pictorial Memorial

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Terminal 1 International - A Pictorial Memorial

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Smile Heathrow Terminal 1 International - A Pictorial Memorial

Heathrow Terminal 1 opened in 1968. After 47 years of operation, T1 will close next year. Following a series of airline moves into the other Heathrow terminals, only four airlines remain in T1 – British Airways (selected shorthaul and midhaul flights only), EL AL, TAM and Icelandair. These flights will all move to other terminals in 2015, with T1 finally closing to passengers in autumn next year, if not sooner. T1 will eventually be demolished to make way for an expanded T2.

The domestic and Irish operation in T1 ceased a few days prior to these images being taken, hence there are no photos of the domestic and Irish areas (Pier 4A and Pier 4). These have been well documented by other FT members. There also no images of the security/immigration/customs areas for obvious reasons.

What follows is a pictorial tribute to the international areas, and many of the common areas that British Airways passengers through the years would've used.

All photos were taken with an iPhone, so apologies for any blurriness.

The Terminal 1 departures forecourt - note the old Heathrow logo on the sign

Updated check-in information at the entrance to Zone B/C

Updated check-in information opposite one of the main terminal entrances

Check-in overview, taken from Zone A (Zone B is to the left)

Zone C check-in - now used by TAM

Zone C check-in viewed from the desk side

The former main entrance to security, in Zone D check-in

Check-in overview from one of the terminal entrances

Zone E check-in

Zones H and J check-in - many of the lettered zones are no longer in operation, and many of the island check-in counters were removed in c.2009 when BA vacated to T5

Check-in overview from the Zone H end of the terminal

The entrance to Zone K (previously Zone R - BA Premium Check-in) from the main check-in area

New branding in the corridor en-route to Zone K check-in

Zone K check-in entrance

Zone K check-in - BA First check-in used to be at the far left hand end, with Fast Track security through the end of this zone – this is now closed

Zone K check-in

Original entrance to UK & Ireland Departures, when they were separated from International Departures

Vacant area adjacent to Zone B check-in, en-route to UK & Ireland Arrivals

UK & Ireland Arrivals, with stairs and escalator down to International Arrivals (landside)

The view passengers would've seen coming out of UK & Ireland Arrivals (on the same level as check-in)

New signage to the new security entrance in Zone B, with the former Star Alliance/BD Arrivals Lounge on the balcony above

Zone B check-in overview, with what is now the only entrance to security in the distance

Zone B check-in - home to BA for a few more months

BA Premium Check-in, Zone B (the Fast Track security lane is immediately on the right)

The view immediately after security of the link to the 'new' departure lounge (airside)

Emerging into the 'new' departure lounge which was opened in the early 2000s, where most shops are now closed and hoarded off

'New' departure lounge

'New' departure lounge

'New' departure lounge

The link from the 'new' departure lounge to Gate 5 (now international) and the UK & Ireland area

The former entrance to the UK & Ireland departures gates, now hoarded off - beyond this was the photo ID check, introduced in c.2009 when international and UK & Ireland departures were mixed through the 'new' departure lounge

Upstairs en-route to Gate 5 (international) - the route to Gate 5 doubles back from here (international gates 74-76 on Pier 4A are now closed)

En-route to Gate 5

The entrance to the BA International Lounge (formerly the BA Domestic Terraces Lounge accessed from Pier 4 below), en-route to Gate 5

En-route to Gate 5 - the area to the right used to be the BA Executive Club Lounge/Shuttle Lounge, prior to the Domestic Terraces Lounge opening in a separate building next door in the 1990s

Gate 5 - now international, formerly UK & Ireland - this area was constructed in the late 1970s, and was accessible from Pier 4 at the same level as check-in

The Gate 5 balcony, where the BA Executive Club Lounge for UK & Ireland flights was originally located in the late 1970s/1980s

One of the former entrances to the former BA Domestic Terraces Lounge, which became international in c.2008 (post-T5 move) along with Gate 5 - this is now a staff office area

Back in the 'new' departure lounge, at the other end of the terminal

The link to the old departure lounge

The old departure lounge, constructed in the 1990s - before then, the shops were in the area were security is now (their original location)

The exit from Zone K (formerly Zone R) security into the old departure lounge, taken from the departure lounge side

Old departure lounge from the other end

The entrance to Pier 3 from the old departure lounge

Pier 3, on the departures side (arrivals is the other side of the glass, which caused issues accessing these gates when T1 was busier)

'Mystery Square' between Pier 3, the old departure lounge and the Flight Connections building - nobody knows why it's called Mystery Square...

Mystery Square

Entrance to the former Star Alliance Lounge, which before that was the BA First and International Terraces Lounge (although the latter was principally in part of the Queen's Building (now demolished), not that you'd have known it from the inside)

A wider shot of the former lounge entrance

Flight Connections building link to the Eurolounge and Europier

The old T2 used to be accessible around the curve to the right

View from the end of the Flight Connections building (departures level) - Pier 3 is on the left, T2B is to the right

Departures link between the Flight Connections building and the Eurolounge (with Europier beyond)

The new entrance to T2A for flights departing from these gates

Eurolounge (no gates have been operational here for some years)

The entrance to the EL AL Lounge is on the right through the wooden doors

Departures link between the Eurolounge and Europier

View from the link - the AC aircraft is pushing back from a Europier stand, with T2B in the background

Europier (constructed in the early 1990s to enable BA widebody operations at T1), with a new hoarding installed across the concourse to separate Europier gates temporarily in use as T2B gates

Europier

Europier

Europier - the gates to the left have been non-operational for some time

T2B viewed from the Europier - the Europier will be demolished in the coming years to enable the K taxiway and two final stands (one in the foreground) at T2B to be completed

One of the Europier gates

T2B viewed from the Europier

T1 Pier 3 viewed from the Europier

T2A towering above a mess of T1 in the foreground

Europier arrivals walkway, a level above departures

Flight Connections, on the top floor of the Flight Connections building (constructed in the 1990s)

The old immigration hall, on the arrivals route – the 'new' immigration hall was relocated to the Flight Connections building in the early 2000s

The link from the old immigration hall down to the international baggage reclaim hall

Downstairs (or rather, down escalator) to the international baggage reclaim hall

International baggage reclaim hall, largely untouched (bar the airside/landside separation and customs location) since the 1970s

International baggage reclaim hall

International baggage reclaim hall

The view of the landside arrivals hall after emerging from the baggage reclaim hall

Arrivals hall

Arrivals hall - this was the original location for the UK & Ireland reclaim belts

Arrivals hall

Arrivals entrance

Farewell, Terminal 1

Last edited by Genius1; Oct 31, 2014 at 1:55 pm
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:11 pm

Well done. I will save all those pictures to an album to browse at my leisure in my old age when T1 is long gone. Thank you.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great pictures! Rather strange to see the whole place so deserted.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Well done; distant memories and confusion and disorientation. Still remeber the vieeing terraces on the top
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:25 pm

Great photos. Really interesting to see.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Nice job ^

Used T1 a lot for the Shuttle back in the 80's and Europen hops when T1 was pretty much just BA and EI. I used to hate the bus connections between T1 and T4 when BA was basically shorthaul/domestic in T1 and Long Haul in T4. A few connections were near misses. Haven't used it in a while since the HKG and SFO flights moved to T5.

Always seemed to be a bit of a building site over the years and it never really seemed to be finished. The ceilings semed to be a constant work in progress.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Blimey what a great set of pics!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Great pictures. Many thanks.

Getting dramatic for a minute, it does feel like T1 is being slowly, slowly killed off.

It seems cruel seeing its deserted areas and closed off shops.

We know it is dying. Someone put it out of its misery. Surely a quick end would be better.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Spooky, fascinating and ultimately historic ... have you offered them to BA, Genius1?

Sheesh, I remember plane-spotting from the roof in the late 50s/early 60s. I vividly recall being bombed by the IRA there in 1974 ... I had just entered T1 when the bomb in the car park went off, and the wall of glass came crashing down (my car was directly above the bomb, on the deck above, and survived intact). I even flew from it (once)
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by T8191
Spooky, fascinating and ultimately historic ... have you offered them to BA, Genius1?

Sheesh, I remember plane-spotting from the roof in the late 50s/early 60s. I vividly recall being bombed by the IRA there in 1974 ... I had just entered T1 when the bomb in the car park went off, and the wall of glass came crashing down (my car was directly above the bomb, on the deck above, and survived intact). I even flew from it (once)
We have something in common - the IRA nearly got me in '92
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Thank you for putting the time and effort into this, really great!
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Nice collection of pics - thank you!

The place looks like a ghost town.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Thanks for all of the comments, much appreciated!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Thanks for this (and bumping the thread up or I might not have seen this) bealine did a good job of covering the domestic part and you've completed the rest with the international sections (including areas I've not seen before).
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Indeed, vague memories of flying in the 90s. bmi also used to be in T1. Thanks for sharing these.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.