Quick flight review: Old F as CW

Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)

Yesterday I flew on BA0289, LHR-PHX, on one of the routes where they've eliminted First class service, but offer the seats for CW passengers. I'll write up a more complete trip report when time permits, but wanted to share some quick notes as I know people are curious about this service. I chose seat 1A as all of the better upper deck seats were taken by the time I made my booking.

I chose seat 1A as all of the better upper deck seats were taken by the time I made my booking.

* Old First
* All 14 seats were full
* Meal and drink service was done by tray (as predicted since the carts don't fit)
* Club kitchen is located by door 2, on a mid-J, this means passing through WTP
* The toilet is stocked as a First class flight (cloth towels, Aromatherapy Associates soap/lotion)
* The club kitchen was stocked with organic yoghurt, the first time I've seen an organic product on BA (besides the Highland Springs water which is "drawn from organic land")

I don't know what it is about this flight and my luck recently, but for the second straight time, they had air conditioning problems. The flight was delayed about an hour (30 minutes of standing in fast track before they stopped boarding, and 30 more minutes while we were on the ground), and the plane was >30C for the first hour before we got going. I really don't understand the logic in boarding a plane full of people with extreme heat before a ten hour flight.

Anyway, old F gives you a good amount of additional personal space, and the bed is a bit more comfortable than CW. I would most likely choose OF over upper deck CW.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:04 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I thought the CW service in OF started on 1st November...
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I thought the CW service in OF started on 1st November...
No, it started on October 26th, when they switched to their winter schedule.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: Silver, JJC (circa 1980)
I just asked about this on here yesterday!

Sounds pretty good then - although raiding the Club Kitchen might be awkward. Brings to mind our first CW (on the UD). Mr Z headed downstairs looking for a snack and a London Pride. He was perusing the options when he was stopped by one of the crew and asked if they could get him anything. Not fancying anything from the Kitchen, he simply asked for the beer. Crew member poured it into a plastic glass. When Mr Z turned to go back upstairs, said crew member was embarrassingly apologetic, as he had assumed Mr Z was an interloper from WT+. Cue hurried transfer of beer to a proper glass.

LOL. Mr Z would probably have drunk it straight from the can and was slightly nonplussed at the different attitude when it was realised that he was a CW passenger!

As for the aircon issue, I can sympathise. We were stuck on the ground on a packed 321 for over three hours earlier this month with a busted APU, so no aircon for us either. Very unpleasant

Last edited by zafiragirl; Oct 31, 2014 at 7:21 am
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Thanks very much for the post dylanks!^

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Yes, thanks for the posting and overview. I am on BA289 to PHX on 27th December in 1K so it's good to have some insight into how things work in reality
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Thank you very much!
I think I'll give it a try on my next YVR trip.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata, Turkish Elite... oh yeah, and of course: Starbucks Gold :P
Thx, realy good to know - esp. as i would always have gone for the UD if available.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: DL DM

Can I ask whether the old F used the F bedding - so had the mattress top and duvet? Or was it standard CW blanket?
Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It "should" be CW blankets and pillows.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: DL DM

Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Yes, it was standard CW bedding. It was so hot on board for the first half of the flight that it didn't matter.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 2:40 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, A3 Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold

Thanks for the report! I'm on BA84 next week in 2A, and have just seen that the load in the front cabin is currently 10/14, upper deck 8/20, and main deck 1/32. I'm guessing most people with status will have gone for the OF cabin, but if the main deck stays relatively empty I'd probably move back there for a quiet night.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pianotraveller
Thanks for the report! I'm on BA84 next week in 2A, and have just seen that the load in the front cabin is currently 10/14, upper deck 8/20, and main deck 1/32. I'm guessing most people with status will have gone for the OF cabin, but if the main deck stays relatively empty I'd probably move back there for a quiet night.
The main cabin will usually fill up at t-24 when the non status passengers select seats for free. I had a similar pattern for my flight (though both upper deck and the front cabin were full).
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: BA silver, Flying Blue gold, Marriott titanium
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but dylanks can you tell me how the IFE is for OF? On a long day flight (YVR) when the bed is not so important and IFE is, is the IFE worse in OF than CW (if that is possible)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.