Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Profits Up

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Despite all the complaints we see posted here, passengers are still booking BA. That is what the numbers are showing. No one is forced to fly BA but they still choose to.
But we're often told on this board that many/most corporate passengers don't have a choice of airline. Can't have it both ways
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:26 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by KenJohn
No one is forced to fly BA but they still choose to.
Well... with LH on strike every second week AND AF on strike for 2 weeks, one does not have too many choices left
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by Paralytic
But we're often told on this board that many/most corporate passengers don't have a choice of airline. Can't have it both ways

Not really the fault of the airline then, these issues should be taken up with the passengers employer not BA. Perhaps they should strike over poor working conditions?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
Also making more money by not reducing the fuel surcharge in line with oil prices.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by csutter
Decreased seat factor stands out here - the capacity increase outpaced the uptake it seems. Maybe the "general flying public" isn't all that excited
Well, by a whopping 1.1% at revenue per ASK versus a 10% increase in ASK as per the post you originally quoted. That's really small, especially if one compares it to the likes of Turkish Airlines.

Plus, if you look the revenues per RPK you'll see that it has barely moved at all. That means they managed to keep on selling 10% or so more seat at pretty much the same prices. That means that they didn't have to discount them too much and that these are all new customers. That takes some skill, especially in such an economic environment.

Besides, have you seen the leased adjusted margin in the .ppt available on IAG's website? It shows that Iberia's margin is practically equal to BA's, an improvement of over 7 points in a year. BA deserves a bravo, Iberia a 90-minutes long round of applause for that, especially because it's come the hard way, via massive layoffs and cuts.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:22 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by 13900
BA deserves a bravo, Iberia a 90-minutes long round of applause for that, especially because it's come the hard way, via massive layoffs and cuts.
Agree!

I hope it will also be noted by all these folks who not long ago were moaning on this forum how terrible move the BA/IB merger was...
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NeverFirst
Sure, profits are up (and there are even rumours of a dividend) but that's driven by having more seats, not by increasing revenue per passenger, so I would suggest it's a bit of a stretch to say "the focus on customer service is paying off";

• Available Seat Kilometres [ASK] +10.5%
  • Revenue Passenger Kilometres [RPK] +9.5%
  • Seat Factor -0.7pts
  • Passenger revenue per ASK -1.1%
  • Passenger revenue per RPK -0.2%
9 months, Jan-Sept, 2014 vs. 2013

So, more enhancements ahead???
Originally Posted by csutter
Decreased seat factor stands out here - the capacity increase outpaced the uptake it seems. Maybe the "general flying public" isn't all that excited
I think you've taken a pessimistic view. Let me give my comments (untainted by either experience or knowledge ). First, increasing capacity does not automatically lead to a proportional growth in demand, particularly I would suspect in the short term. Though the increase in ASKs is rather substantial, it actually appears that IAG have grown their capacity rather cautiously, taking advantage of increased demand rather than hoping demand will materialize later.

Second, one only needs to look at their rivals, AF-KLM and the LH group, who have a whole host of problems, not least the threat of debilitating strikes hanging over them, to think that IAG is in good hands.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by HIDDY

Yes Flyertalker opinions do tend to be exaggerated.
Exaggerated? I think "warped" would be a better description.

Last edited by MrSimonR; Oct 31, 2014 at 2:40 pm
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by 13900
Well, by a whopping 1.1% at revenue per ASK versus a 10% increase in ASK as per the post you originally quoted. That's really small, especially if one compares it to the likes of Turkish Airlines.

Plus, if you look the revenues per RPK you'll see that it has barely moved at all. That means they managed to keep on selling 10% or so more seat at pretty much the same prices. That means that they didn't have to discount them too much and that these are all new customers. That takes some skill, especially in such an economic environment.
Originally Posted by Calchas
I think you've taken a pessimistic view. Let me give my comments (untainted by either experience or knowledge ). First, increasing capacity does not automatically lead to a proportional growth in demand, particularly I would suspect in the short term. Though the increase in ASKs is rather substantial, it actually appears that IAG have grown their capacity rather cautiously, taking advantage of increased demand rather than hoping demand will materialize later.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying the ASK/RPK figures were terrible, but I was suggesting the increased revenue was more-or-less directly in line with increased capacity.

So it's maybe not so much due to the "tight rein on the purse strings and focus on customer service" as was mentioned earlier.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by redpalmetto
Also making more money by not reducing the fuel surcharge in line with oil prices.
If BA bought fuel on the spot market, they might drop the surcharge. But about 80% of their fuel costs are currently hedged/contracted at a price higher than the spot price -- no one anticipated the steep drop in crude prices over the last few months.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chucko
If BA bought fuel on the spot market, they might drop the surcharge. But about 80% of their fuel costs are currently hedged/contracted at a price higher than the spot price -- no one anticipated the steep drop in crude prices over the last few months.
Except whoever offered them the hedging contract.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by Calchas
Except whoever offered them the hedging contract.
Rod Eddington

a lot is said about hedging strategy, most of it is well wide of the mark. I don't think any sensible airline believes that by hedging it saves on its fuel bills. You just flatten out the bumps and remove the spikes. [...] When you hedge all you do is bet against the experts of the oil market and pay the middle man, so you can't save yourself any money long term. You can run from high fuel prices briefly through hedging but you can't run for very long.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
At least it's good news for the share price....
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: IHG Plat
YQ must be helping alot
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by NeverFirst
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying the ASK/RPK figures were terrible, but I was suggesting the increased revenue was more-or-less directly in line with increased capacity.

So it's maybe not so much due to the "tight rein on the purse strings and focus on customer service" as was mentioned earlier.
I beg to disagree. Overall passengers numbers went up - indeed, aided by an increase in capacity that resulted in a slightly lower load factor - but RPK remained substantially in line year on year. Which means that they had more people flying them. Don't know if they won them for the customer experience or what, but surely they didn't scare them off either. And, at the same time, non-fuel costs went down 1.9%. Now, having worked as a supplier for the airline industry I can only say that they kept their purse close to their chest to pull that one out... And also firmly shut.

My question is, though: how long will these results last? We all know LHR is full and no runways will be built, no matter what Davies says. How long before the Germans or the French or the Dutch get their house in order and start nicking BA's passengers, thanks as well to the new wave of xenophobia that's spreading across the UK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.