Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The British Airways Nostalgia Thread - Your Photos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The British Airways Nostalgia Thread - Your Photos

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
October 15, 1977 the new airport terminal opened at YYC and BA sent Concorde BOAE to help celebrate. I was very small at the time, but I do have a vague memory of it. My Dad took me out to the airport to see it, along with 20,000 other people apparently. Not a bad turnout for a city with a population of 487,000 at the time.

Tonight I was looking through some of my Dad's negatives and came across the 3 (!) frames he shot that evening with his trusty Pentax Spotmatic. Film and processing was expensive then, so no need to take many shots like people do with digital these days. The Chevy station wagon from Innotech Aviation would have been new, GM downsized and redesigned their big cars for the 1977 model year.

Did BA even fly to YYC in 1977? I didn't think they started YYC service until about 25 years later. Seems odd for BA to send Concorde to YYC then. Apparently after being on display at YYC it went to IAD.

I wonder why the "a" in "airways" isn't capitalized?

Last edited by Jagboi; Nov 18, 2017 at 12:08 am
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador

Came across some interesting items on ebay from BEA days. NB a solution back then to allow BoB to be given out free during ground delays.
Ancient Observer likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by tim0409
I recognise the BAC 1-11 from East Fortune - I live a few miles from it and cycled over last week to see the Vulcan fly over.
G-AVMO, my passenger logbook tells me that I flew on this machine.

I also flew on EMB-145 G-EMBJ in the other photo.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Ex Marco Polo Club
I heard BA had a lounge in HKG ages ago, does anyone have any pictures of it?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:05 am

OMG I just nearly fell off my seat when the cabin steward advised that Pax could light up and Smoke!!!
TTmex likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:48 pm

Toronto, 1974. From the Vintage Toronto YYZ twitter feed. https://twitter.com/YYZLounge

Prospero, NoY, Skipcool3 and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
What a great thread. The 747 video reminded me of my childhood trips to Barbados.

Keep them coming!
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
The smoking thing made me chuckle too. No welcome to our BAEC members... just "ok guys, no smoking sign's off, puff away". Remember flying on an Air Zambia DC-10 from Heathrow to Lusaka when I was a kid. There was a haze of smoke that lingered just above the seats for the whole journey. It was made worse by the young child in the row in front vomiting repeatedly for the 9 hour flight. Worst thing was same family were on the return leg 3 weeks later.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:25 am

Toronto, 1992. BA must have been dipping into the parts bin at AF?

Dambus, alancostello, Pack and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Back to HKG lounge question. No pictures, there was around 10 years ago a BA F lounge upstairs where the QF lounge now is. I think QF has the J lounge (downstairs) and BA the F lounge. It was basically couches, nice champagne and wines and some hot buffet items, and they came around with some dumplings etc from time to time. Overall quiet and never crowded. Nothing flash and similar to the other F lounges in the network at the time.

i preferred the CX lounges for food and retired to the BA F to relax.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver
A very dodgy still taken from a digital copy of a video tape of the time, 21 years ago, when Concorde visited an RAF base in the far north of Scotland for a publicity event. The full video contains the landing, an internal tour including cockpit, and the subsequent departure.

10 bonus points for identifying the aircraft in the background...

Old Oct 17, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
If you were at an RAF base then presumably the aircraft in the background is a Nimrod
TTmex likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
If you were at an RAF base then presumably the aircraft in the background is a Nimrod
Hard to make out, but can't see any engines hanging off the wings, so would make sense it's a Nimrod. Tried to see if there was a back engine, but appears not, so not a tristar
Old Oct 17, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Originally Posted by TTmex
Hard to make out, but can't see any engines hanging off the wings, so would make sense it's a Nimrod. Tried to see if there was a back engine, but appears not, so not a tristar
Indeed it is a Nimrod - TriStar would be on another scale altogether. Coincidentally, I did work on Nimrod for 7 1/2 years when I joined the RAF, follwed by 5 years on TriStar, including the ex-BA models that we had as tankers...

TedToToe and TTmex like this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Does anyone have any pictures of the former Terminal 4 First/CCR class lounge at LHR they can please share?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.