Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toddler Potty Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Toddler Potty Etiquette

Just returned from BKK - and saw something that got me thinking.

There was a mother flying with a toddler - he was 2 maybe 2 1/2. He was sat in front of me and was a little noisy during take off (didn't like / understand why he couldn't sit with his mum during take off), but other than that he was a delight.

Towards the end of the flight he said wee wee Mummy. Anyone with a toddler knows that means you have exactly 6 seconds to get said child to the toilet.

There was a queue for the toilet - mother grabs the potty and rushes to the toilet and joined the queue.

Would you expect the mother to ask to 'push in' and would you acquiesce to such as request or (as I think I would as a toddler's parent) actively facilitate the pushing in?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
I'd have no issue if a parent with a toddler asked to jump the queue.

You didn't completely finish the story though. Since they had to queue, were there any accidents...?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
I would let any parent and toddler past me to use the loo - the consequences of making them wait might be unpalatable..!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
I'd have no issue with a small child going ahead of the queue. I might even suggest they go ahead of me.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Let's mix this up a bit...

You're in CW, a parent and toddler comes through the curtain from WT+ and says their toddler is desperate and the nearest loo is right at the back and there is a queue there.

You're in a queue for the CW toilet.

Who would send them back to whence they came?

What if they were loaded up with Club Kitchen goodies?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Let's mix this up a bit...

You're in CW, a parent and toddler comes through the curtain from WT+ and says their toddler is desperate and the nearest loo is right at the back and there is a queue there.

Who would send them back to whence they came?

What if they were loaded up with Club Kitchen goodies?
BY saying no - you risk them using the club kitchen AS the toilet!

Now the kitchen really has been 'enhanced'
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:13 am

Anyone with a toddler knows that means you have exactly 6 seconds to get said child to the toilet.
Just so! Once a todd has uttered those words "I need a wee", your part of the bargain is to find a receptacle pronto! Definitely, most human beings would stand aside and let mum and todd have priority!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Paralytic
They have queues for the CW toilets?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yes, people come from WT+ and WT to use them, maybe even pets from the cargo hold too!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:30 am
Original Poster

To finish it. Crew member saw mother approaching and proactively managed the situation very well - fortunately the toddler was in out in a few moments (as they adjust the length of time they take to wee to make it as inconvenient as possible normally! )
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Wow - another reason not to leave the UD!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Saw a mother pull out a potty and sit the youngster on it on the floor of the first class cabin of a 747 some years ago. The crew went to intervene but junior must have needed to go quite badly and had completed his number two in the potty before the crew member had got further than 'madam'. There was a brief moment when I thought the mother was going to ask the crew member to deal with the disposal but thankfully for her sake she decided against it and took the potty to the toilet to empty herself.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by lizban
Would you expect the mother to ask to 'push in' and would you acquiesce to such as request or (as I think I would as a toddler's parent) actively facilitate the pushing in?
I would only expect that the parent ask if their child could go before me, which I would agree too.

H
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
They do have queues on the A380 as there aren't enough cubicles for the number of CW pax.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: FT
Kids generally go to the front of the line. I think the etiquette is for the person in front to say, kid needs to go and break the ice for the parent...(most kids take about 30 seconds so the extra wait is not too bad). Especially on planes and also sports venues and concerts during busy times. Because my brother says, my son will piss in a cup before he pisses himself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.