How to use BA Avios for Boston to Oahu

Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond. SPG Gold, BA Silver, United MileagePlus
How to use BA Avios for Boston to Oahu

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so Mods move if I got it wrong please. So many confusing locations

I have 350K Avios miles, and a companion ticket to use, although I know the latter is only useful for BA only routes.

I read numerous articles about being able to use Avios for AA and US flights, but try as I might I cannot get BA to book either BOS - LAX - HNL or NYC - LAX - HNL, or options where I just try and use Avios to get to LAX and then sort HNL on its own.

I've read the posts, found the directions to find availability etc, but all BA tells me is that they don't have the rights to fly that route when I try and book, so either I can't use Avios on the East - West routes, or I'm doing something wrong

Help please

Preferred routing is BOS - LAX break for 2 days then LAX - HNL

Alternates are NYC - LAX with or without a break.

Looking at First on both legs.

Edit - Also saw AA fly HNL via DFW which is also an option and we'd probably just travel straight through without a break.

Edit - This is the message I get on BA.com about BOS - LAX and similar British Airways does not have traffic rights to operate directly between these two cities.

Last edited by Nodric; Oct 26, 2014 at 9:17 am
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Let's see if the BA forum experts, can offer some suggestions...
Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Often britishairways.com has difficulty displaying reward availability with partners that involves a connection. Search for availability for each connecting flight individually and then call to book or book each flight separately.

In addition, Alaska Airlines flies BOS-SEA-HNL. AS reward flights are not displayed on britishairways.com and you have to call to book.

You can search for availability for AA (and AS) flights on aa.com. You need to look for the lowest level availability (milesaaver) on aa.com. If you find AA milesaaver availability on aa.com, then search britishairways.com for those flights (you may have to search for the connecting flights individually as noted above) and book or call.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Nodric
I've read the posts, found the directions to find availability etc, but all BA tells me is that they don't have the rights to fly that route when I try and book,
I can see that message when looking at revenue tickets but when searching Award availability between BOS-LAX I can see AA flights offered

are you on the Book flights with Avios page? Just checked LAX-HNL ans availability showing, only see the "rights" notification on non-avios search

Last edited by caz312; Oct 26, 2014 at 2:53 pm
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat
If you have to call, be prepared to have your patience challenged. Long hold times and agents not very helpful. YMMV
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Edit - This is the message I get on BA.com about BOS - LAX and similar British Airways does not have traffic rights to operate directly between these two cities.
BA uses a separate page to book reward flights instead of booking revenue flights; unlike on AA/US these searches are not combined in one place.

Are you logged in and searching on the Book Flights with Avios page?

I booked an HNL-LAX-SFO redemption only yesterday. Plenty of availability. Also saw options via PHX.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calchas
BA uses a separate page to book reward flights instead of booking revenue flights; unlike on AA/US these searches are not combined in one place.

Are you logged in and searching on the Book Flights with Avios page?

I booked an HNL-LAX-SFO redemption only yesterday. Plenty of availability. Also saw options via PHX.
Originally Posted by caz312
I can see that message when looking at revenue tickets but when searching Award availability between BOS-LAX I can see AA flights offered

are you on the Book flights with Avios page? Just checked LAX-HNL ans availability showing, only see the "rights" notification on non-avios search
Thanks for the replies so far. I was logged into my Executive Club account, and then selected a booking from the main screen using points. I probably should have navigated to the Spending Miles link. I'll give it a try tomorrow and report back.

Also thanks for the tip on Alaskan!

I did find award space on AA, albeit non of the saver space

Thanks all again. I'll update the post tmrw
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If you cannot find "SAAver" award space on AA/AS/US for your desired dates of travel, then you should not be able to book award travel for those same dates with Avios (unless there is some kind of glitch with aa.com's award search engine). Note, however, that -- unlike BAEC awards -- AAdvantage awards do not permit a free stopover at the connecting point, so aa.com will only display award space from BOS to HNL that satisfies AA's four-hour connection rule on domestic awards. If you are willing to stop over for more than four hours at DFW, LAX, PHX, or SEA, search for each segment separately on aa.com. Note that AS also flies to HNL from some cities that do not have nonstop service from BOS, like BLI, OAK, PDX, and SJC.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Couple of things:

- As others have said, you need to see the right kind of partner award seats, partners such as AA may make redemption seats available under various miles tariffs to their own members, but you need to find the type of seats they are making available to their partners.

- Use the techniques you have read about to check availability directly. Do not expect BA.com to be the definitive answer. Certainly not for anything with a connection. If you believe the correct type of seats are being made available, you can try them as separate sectors - if they work, then phone up to book as one ticket. If they don't show as separate sectors, but you still think AA is making them available to partners, phone up BAEC and try to book it.

- Redemptions are priced per sector, so other in terms of Avios required, there is no difference between the amount you would pay for AAA-BBB + BBB-CCC as separate flights, vs AAA-BBB-CCC as one booking, other than any taxes you might only need to pay on one booking.

So if you need to stop over for longer than permitted just make a separate booking.
Although keep in mind you will have separate bookings if you need to make changes (multiple cancellation fees, etc).

- If your booking has a non-oneworld partner operated flight in it (such as Alaskan), then all that booking can have in it is more flights from the SAME partner, and/or BA flights. You can't combine AA and Alaskan etc in one booking.
However you can have multiple one-world partners in a single booking. (although this can put you on a different redemption tariff - this should be in the sticky here in the BA section).
Again, since flights are priced in Avios per sector, you can just make multiple bookings if necessary, but keep in mind it would not be an official connection, and multiple change fees.

- Companion ticket is BA operating metal only. Not partners, even if BA also fly the route, it must be BA metal. (since you mentioned 'BA routes')

Last edited by David-A; Oct 26, 2014 at 8:31 pm
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC GfL, currently GGL
US anti-cabotage law does not permit non-US flagged carriers (or cruise ships) to offer routings that do not include a port outside the USA.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by furryman
US anti-cabotage law does not permit non-US flagged carriers (or cruise ships) to offer routings that do not include a port outside the USA.
That is not the issue here because American Airlines/US Airways/Alaska Airlines would be operating the flights in question. It is perfectly possible to buy American Airlines flights from BA, although they do not advertise it on the website---except for award bookings.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Just wanted to update the thread as I hadn't responded for some time *work!*

Alas it seems that the award space for anything towards HNL is classified as unobtainium for almost 100% of the year when trying to fly from the East coast. I did find slim pickings in award space for LAX but only in Eco, and no rtn seats several weeks either side.

Thanks for all the replies. I am educated now.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
When are you trying to go? It is best to book 330 days out if you want premium seats to Hawaii. I see quite a few in First (Saver level) for early October 2015, looking on AlaskaAir.com. These are on AA and AS, from LAX or SJC or SEA to Honolulu. I din't check Bellingham to Maui.

Just watch out for the "mixed cabin" symbol (seat icon in two colors). Find on the website and call BA to book with your Avios.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Just wanted to update the thread as I hadn't responded for some time *work!*

Alas it seems that the award space for anything towards HNL is classified as unobtainium for almost 100% of the year when trying to fly from the East coast. I did find slim pickings in award space for LAX but only in Eco, and no rtn seats several weeks either side.

Thanks for all the replies. I am educated now.
When are you trying to go and how many seats are you looking for?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
It seems Nodric has given up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.