Tier points to Australia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba ggl, ccr
Tier points to Australia

Hi

I'm looking at options for a trip from london to Sydney

Qantas prices are beating ba and the seats look better but it's now showing some of the seats on qantas flights are actually on emirates.

If I book a qantas flight but it's operated by emirates would I still get ba tier points?

Any other tips on how to get there comfortably but maximize tp's would be appreciated

Thanks
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ALEX2575

Qantas prices are beating ba and the seats look better but it's now showing some of the seats on qantas flights are actually on emirates.

If I book a qantas flight but it's operated by emirates would I still get ba tier points?
Strictly speaking, you wouldn't - it should be Avios only. However, there are reports of people who have nevertheless been awarded TPs.

See the very bottom of this page: http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...-avios/flights
Any other tips on how to get there comfortably but maximize tp's would be appreciated
You don't say which cabin you're thinking of booking. But if you look at BA fares that start from some European points (eg Oslo) and route through London, you may find that you can afford a ticket in a higher cabin than if you started in London - for example, you might be able to book WT+ for the price of WT. You'd also earn a few more TPs because you have to fly from Oslo to London to start with, and you'd be expected (by BA) to fly back to Oslo to finish your ticket. And, of course, you'd have to get to Oslo to begin with, and you'd have to get yourself back from Oslo at the end if you do finish your ticket.

Last edited by Globaliser; Oct 25, 2014 at 4:12 am
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Finnair might be a good option, that is how I am going next month. In J it is 60+140+140 TPs each way. BA from Oslo would have been slightly cheaper, even after a RFS to Oslo to start and a hotel for the night.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by elwe
Finnair might be a good option, that is how I am going next month. In J it is 60+140+140 TPs each way. BA from Oslo would have been slightly cheaper, even after a RFS to Oslo to start and a hotel for the night.
LHR to HEL in J is now 80 tier points each way.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:12 am
Suspended

No, you won't.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
You might.

I have tried twice, succeeded once.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi

Thanks
Go via SIN or KUL, not HKG for a few extra points (the former two are over 6000 miles and qualify as "longhaul+". TYO would also be permissible but I am not sure there's a fared route.

If going via SIN, split your journey onto a different flight number, instead of continuing on the same aircraft.

Note that flights with QF, MH and CX prefixes accrue substantially reduced Avios points.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by Calchas
TYO would also be permissible but I am not sure there's a fared route.
There certainly is (I did it in June): BA LHR-NRT but then it's QF for NRT-SYD.

There is a long layover (11hrs-ish), but it's well timed for a day trip into Tokyo. With lounge access it actually worked quite well - had a nice meal, shower & massage chair before hopping on the NRT-SYD.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
I also recommend checking for ex-EU routings - we recently got flights to SYD beginning in Oslo for Ł2050 each in J (OSL-LHR-SIN-SYD-HKG-LHR-OSL) which amounts to 600TPs and the SYD-HKG operated by CX. The same long haul seats originating in Scotland were just off double that price.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, CCR, Star Alliance Gold
Check Qatar out they sometimes have very good deals on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.