Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Correcting a booking mistake (aka I'm an idiot)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum

Just took advantage of the great ex-EU fares from Dublin to book a flight out to the States next March. Had thought I'd checked the booking thoroughly before hitting pay but I've just read the email confirmation and I've managed to book the departure and return flights for the day after I wanted to go.

(Yeah, I know. Mock me at will, FTers. I deserve it.)

The flights for the day I want are exactly the same price but I booked on the restricted fare. Have tried the BA Silver number but it's closed for the night. If I call tomorrow and it's within the 24 hours booking period, will they be able to change it to the day before for free/minimum admin fee or will they only offer me cancellation and rebooking (in which case I'll lose the money). If worst comes to the worst I can keep the booking as is - it's more slightly inconvenient that a massive problem - but if I can change it for a minimum fee I'd prefer it.

Cheers in advance and be gentle in the mocking.

1F
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:36 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Check your ticket terms - In general though, the 24 hour cooling off period only allows you to cancel and then make a new booking. I just had to do exactly this myself a few hours ago.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Within the 24 hour period after booking you can cancel for free on any BA booking(not BA holidays though), but I do not think they can do changes to the booking.

You can always call a different call centre, US should be opened at this hour, check here for phone numbers: http://app1-baft.rhcloud.com/finder.php

Originally Posted by 1nfrequent
Just took advantage of the great ex-EU fares from Dublin to book a flight out to the States next March. Had thought I'd checked the booking thoroughly before hitting pay but I've just read the email confirmation and I've managed to book the departure and return flights for the day after I wanted to go.

(Yeah, I know. Mock me at will, FTers. I deserve it.)

The flights for the day I want are exactly the same price but I booked on the restricted fare. Have tried the BA Silver number but it's closed for the night. If I call tomorrow and it's within the 24 hours booking period, will they be able to change it to the day before for free/minimum admin fee or will they only offer me cancellation and rebooking (in which case I'll lose the money). If worst comes to the worst I can keep the booking as is - it's more slightly inconvenient that a massive problem - but if I can change it for a minimum fee I'd prefer it.

Cheers in advance and be gentle in the mocking.

1F
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Changes are usually permitted for free within 24 hours, unless it's a particularly complex route that requires back-office support.

They would rather you changed it than cancelled it!

You should do this quickly!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
If I call tomorrow and it's within the 24 hours booking period, will they be able to change it to the day before for free/minimum admin fee or will they only offer me cancellation and rebooking (in which case I'll lose the money).
If you phone before the 24 hour point, you should be able to cancel for a full refund regardless of the fare conditions.

The agent may be prepared to rebook you, and there are plenty of reports of agents doing this. However, I believe that this isn't strictly speaking within the cooling-off policy.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all (and thanks Calchas for the PM). I'm going to give them a bell tomorrow morning - I'm clearly too dim to make any travel plans tonight.

Note to self - don't book travel on a Friday night after your 3rd rum and coke.

1F
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:05 pm

I've been given a free change in the past within 24 hours as well - so even though it seems from the other posters that it isn't normal BA policy, it's definitely worth a shot!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:21 pm

There is a 24hr correction policy in place for ba.com bookings which will allow for such an amendment. You will not be charged any fees only any fare/tax difference .
This is not the same as the 24hr cooling off policy which allows for cancellation without penalty.
Both policies can only be actioned over the phone and must be within 24hrs of booking.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I changed my dates once within the 24 hours period, no problem from lovely call center agent.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by themapelligroup
I changed my dates once within the 24 hours period, no problem from lovely call center agent.
Same, in my case it was an honest mistake, booked a 1am flight on a Thursday not thinking the date changes after midnight so it would have actually been Friday morning.. Called and it was changed for free.

It is discretionary, and I am sure if the change involves routing changes or significant date changes that might be more difficult.

Globalist
Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I've never had any problems changing within 24 hours. Given that seats are available the days you want at the same price, it makes no material difference to BA whether you cancel and reissue, or change. Indeed, they should prefer you to change since after a refund you're not obliged to book with BA.

On one occasion, I actually managed a change 48 hours after booking. I was lucky that the ticket had not yet been issued which made it easy for the Agent to be generous.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again to all for the above advice. I called the silver line this morning and they changed it for me without any problem (although two of the flights had to change but the connection times are actually better so I was pleased with it) and fortunately, there was no fare difference for me to pay. Also fortunate is that one of the plane changes puts me on the new A380 so now I get to research which seat is the best one. Super excited!

I henceforth shall never try making a booking after rum and coke again.

1F
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks again to all for the above advice. I called the silver line this morning and they changed it for me without any problem (although two of the flights had to change but the connection times are actually better so I was pleased with it) and fortunately, there was no fare difference for me to pay. Also fortunate is that one of the plane changes puts me on the new A380 so now I get to research which seat is the best one. Super excited!

I henceforth shall never try making a booking after rum and coke again.

1F
Good work! Hope you enjoy your trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.