Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Need to get to Larnaca for maximum TP's...how?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:36 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

Dear all,

My father is needed in Limossol for a business meeting, and as such has asked me to investigate how to get from NCE to Larnaca (the airport which seems to serve Limossol)

He will need to go via LHR, and the whole trip will need to be in Club to ensure he receives the extra TP's.

I have looked online and have found a price of circa £1,300 which seems phenomenally expensive.

He is looking to leave NCE on 14th November, head to Limossol on 15th, return to LHR on 18th, and then back to NCE on 22nd

So with the above in mind, is there anyone who could assist?

Many thanks all

M
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
The only BA option I can see comes in at just under 1000 Euros, but involves a night stop at LHR:

Originally Posted by ITA matrix
Nice (NCE) to Larnaca (LCA) - Sat, Nov 15
Nice (NCE) to London (LHR) - Sat, Nov 15
British Airways p.l.c. 341 Dep: 8:50AM Arr: 10:00AM 2h 10m Airbus A319 Business (I)
Layover in LHR 1h 45m
London (LHR) to Larnaca (LCA) - Sat, Nov 15
British Airways p.l.c. 662 Dep: 11:45AM Arr: 6:20PM 4h 35m Boeing 767 Business (I)

Larnaca (LCA) to Nice (NCE) - Sat, Nov 22
Larnaca (LCA) to London (LHR) - Sat, Nov 22
British Airways p.l.c. 663 Dep: 7:35PM Arr: 10:25PM 4h 50m Boeing 767 Business (I)
Layover in LHR 10h 0m

London (LHR) to Nice (NCE) - Sun, Nov 23
British Airways p.l.c. 342 Dep: 8:25AM Arr: 11:20AM 1h 55m Airbus A320 Business (I)
Other options include Swiss and Austrian, much shorter travel times, also around 1k Euros in Business.

I can't seem to find any sensible oneworld alternatives, e.g. IB connections come in around 3k Euros...
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:28 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA offers cheaper CE flights that involve a Saturday night away, unfortunately they are not all combinable / displayable online.

So you can book two sets of tickets for these dates at £300 (NCE) + £580 (LCA) = £880 but you have some risk here by nesting these tickets if the NCE-LHR service goes kaput.

If he uses the Gatwick service to LCA on 14 to 19 November, he will save a further £230, to give a total around £650.

This is the sort of thing that either an experienced human travel agent can sort out, or alternatively a call to a BA Service Centre may well eke out a similar or better fare if you get an experienced agent on the line. However I can't see the latter suggesting nested tickets. Part of the problem with the schedule as originally given is that you have one, maybe two stopovers, rather than connections, which tends to push prices up.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
The desired overnight stays in London should mitigate any risk in nesting tickets as suggested by corporate-wage-slave
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I've not priced this but if the TP are the main reason for choosing CE, might he not do better overall by flying ET and using the saving towards a proper TP run?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
An overnight in London was always necessary irrespective of the fact it reduces the price.

ThanksCWS for the Gatwick pricing - I hadn't considered flying from LGW.

Although LCA might seem like an odd TP destination, it brings in 160 TPs return.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
I can't seem to find any sensible oneworld alternatives, e.g. IB connections come in around 3k Euros...
Except for intra-Spain domestic legs, IB metal is, in my limited experience, generally not combinable with BA metal on intra-Europe BA J fares. (Irritatingly many exotic routes on mixed IB/BA metal are permitted on discount Y fares!) Even full J BA fares are often tightly route restricted ("LON-BA-LCA" only).

If you are looking on ITA Matrix, you can try and force it, at which point you will see your itinerary is constructed of very expensive "YY CIF" fares, issued by IATA instead of an airline. I don't believe BA will honour those.

You could also construct an itinerary by nesting tickets and accepting the misconnect risk.

To be frank the best bet is to take the LHR connection as it is and get your tier points another day.

Last edited by Calchas; Oct 21, 2014 at 5:29 pm
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Sorry to he ignorant. but what are 'nesting tickets'?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI
nesting means that you buy 2 Tickets and then fly the 1st sector of each Ticket before starting with any 2nd sector.

i.e. you buy NCE-LHR-NCE on one Ticket and LHR-LCA-LHR on another Ticket. you then fly
NCE-LHR
--LHR-LCA
--LCA-LHR
LHR-NCE

the downside is that if you miss your connection it is your problem, not the Airlines
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Herman ze German
the downside is that if you miss your connection it is your problem, not the Airlines
That's absolutely right. Another common situation on a regular route, bearing in mind the Saturday Night Rule, is where you have two tickets, say NCE-LGW1 and LGW-NCE2, both overlapping a Saturday night, but where you don't actually spend Saturday in London:

NCE-LGW1
- LGW-NCE2
[Saturday night]
- NCE-LGW2
LGW-NCE1

No longer needed in ET in Europe (with a few exceptions such as MAD and DME), but it works on long haul and CE.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:22 am

Programs: GGLfL
The way to truly maximise TPs to LCA is to use RJ via AMM, or BA/CY via TLV, or QR via DOH or BA/S7 via DME.

For through fares, BA actually offers the lowest fare (£680 in I class) for NCE-LCA, cheaper than LH/OS etc.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:31 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
What about routing via TXL and VIE on Airberlin & Niki?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
The only BA option I can see comes in at just under 1000 Euros, but involves a night stop at LHR
The OP wants a night stop (well 4 nights stop actually) on the return. You can't help a night stop (until S15) if connecting from a LCA-LHR/LGW flight, unless you consider a 2am arrival at LGW and a 7am onward a direct connection.

For the dates given, the BA fare is just over £900, with a nice easy transfer at LHR on the way out (arr 1000, dep 1145), which is the cheapest and best option and not bad for 240 TPs.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by jbfield
What about routing via TXL and VIE on Airberlin & Niki?
1. AB doesn't fly to LCA from TXL, only HG from VIE (and no same day connections from NCE)
2. No J class on HG (or AB)
3. 20 TPs NCE-VIE-LCA vs 120 TPs on BA (he's have to fly 6 times for the same TP benefit)
4. Pitiful level of avios (about 450 one-way, vs 7000 on BA)
5. 3 hours on a LCC - ouch

5 reasons just to start with.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:06 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
The way to truly maximise TPs to LCA is to use RJ via AMM, or BA/CY via TLV, or QR via DOH or BA/S7 via DME.

For through fares, BA actually offers the lowest fare (£680 in I class) for NCE-LCA, cheaper than LH/OS etc.
Surely the best way to maximise TP's for a NCE to LCA trip is a DONE6 or AONE6..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.