Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CCR vs The Wing = Boring

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Greenpen
Oh dear! The CCR is way better than the Wing in all respects, unless you are obsessed with noodles and then you have to visit the Wing J bit to get them. Too many comments here from people who apparently spend their lives in the CCR and cannot grasp how good it is.

It remains one of the very best lounges in the world while the Wing F struggles to get even with the GF in T5.
Nice to see sarcasm alive and well on FT! ^
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I prefer the terrace in the F lounge. Better view of the runway activity as well. As I would rather get my own drinks and food anyway (as opposed to waiting upwards of half an hour for any server to see me out on the CCR terrace) i've pretty well given up going to the CCR when I'm travelling F and just go the F lounge. I'll take the lesser champagne choices knowing I'll at least be able to get some when I want it.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I'm currently sitting in the QR Premium lounge at T4 with a nice glass of Pol Roger 2004 in what is ironically the ground part of the old BA Terraces. They have improved things somewhat!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
It remains one of the very best lounges in the world
Hmmm - shabby, badly designed, terrible service and low quality food.

Compare it to Qantas Syd lounge, TG BKK lounge, Lufty Frankfurt....im sure there are more...but CCR is very poor in comparison.

BA sadly seem to be driven by cost cutting rather than offering a premium experience these days - and not just in the CCR!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ScouseAndy
I'll start with an apology for all of you all hate this kind of comparison post...

Flew out to HKG last Thursday in F, and therefore had the CCR experience. Presently in the Wing enjoying those benefits. My observations are from the perspective of a non frequent CCR visitor.

Can only say I thought the CCR experience is at best average. Due to finishing my visit to London early, I ended up having 5 hours in the CCR. During that time I sat on the terrace and not once did anyone proactively offer me a drink etc. It's a shame as the drinks are nice. I'm quite capable of walking to the bar, and indeed did. But if service is going to be like this why not offer self pour. I did order myself some food and it was okay.

Now in the Wing (which is really an F-lounge). I was immediately asked if I want a drink and the glass is never allowed to be empty....! The food was excellent in the "restaurant" immediate service and quick delivery of food orders. What are peoples view of having a "Wing" style food offering in the CCR/F-lounge.

This is not a rant, just an observation.

Oh, lastly has anyone else experienced the rattling cupboard door in 1A of an A380! I'm sure I've ready about this elsewhere....
I'm fully with you on the Wing. I love that lounge (but then I'm also very partial to the food there). I'm not a CCR regular, using it only when flying F, so maybe six/eight times a year, but it's a solid lounge to have a drink and a bite, but not a place I'd want to spend five hours!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lolbert
Because the Wing catering is, as I recall, outsourced to one of the leading Asian hotel groups (Mandarin Oriental) the quality of the food and the service are top notch.
I'm pretty sure it's Peninsula, not MO.

ETA: beaten to it by several others!

Last edited by LondonElite; Oct 21, 2014 at 12:09 pm
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:08 pm
Suspended

It remains one of the very best lounges in the world while the Wing F struggles to get even with the GF in T5.
Really? I'd put the flagship lounges of LH, AF, QF, QR, SQ well ahead of the CCR, as much as I like BA. The Wing is waaaay ahead of GF in T5
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Really? I'd put the flagship lounges of LH, AF, QF, QR, SQ well ahead of the CCR, as much as I like BA. The Wing is waaaay ahead of GF in T5
Quite. I currently perusing the Brasserie menu which is both fantastic and cooked to order by a real chef bod The wine list puts bato shame

I've heard they serve Krug at HIA. Yikes
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The CCR has its faults but is I think an overall better lounge than the F Wing in HKG

All the wing seating areas are quite exposed, the catering is mediocre and mainly buffet based (whether catered by the peninsula or not), service can be dodgy and the cabanas are a pale shadow of their former self.
In my experience of about a dozen visits to F wing and CCR, I would say the food in the HKG F wing is way above the CCR. F Wing food is more up to the standard of an actual restuarant rather than a cafeteria (which is what CCR is like) Food in CCR is very average - in fact I much prefer eating at Plane Food in LHR.

Service is also better in the Wing.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ripley5000
In my experience of about a dozen visits to F wing and CCR, I would say the food in the HKG F wing is way above the CCR. F Wing food is more up to the standard of an actual restuarant rather than a cafeteria (which is what CCR is like) Food in CCR is very average - in fact I much prefer eating at Plane Food in LHR.

Service is also better in the Wing.
Couldn't agree more. But doubtless loads will rush in to defend.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: A variety of precious-metal themed cards; MUCCI
The Wing is the product of two excellent Hong Kong family businesses owned by serious long term investors - the Swire family's Cathay Pacific; and the Kadoorie family's Peninsula Hotels.

The CCR is owned by a public company, IAG, whose executives want to get rich quickly, and is run by a mid-market catering firm.

Does that help clarify matters?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, CCR, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
I don't get this criticism of the CCR, the terrace could not be more light and airy (and very roomy) if it tried! If you think it dark, then you only have yourself to blame for not travelling 10 meters to sit out on the terrace or one of the many seats inside next to it!

Edit- To add, I do prefer the wing setting myself as a whole for the full lounge, I just don't think you can say the CCR is dark, unless you station yourself in one of the corners that is

I must be missing something (common for me). I normally sit in the 'outdoor' bit in the first lounge, is there also something like that in the Concorde room?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by SurbitonFlyer
I must be missing something (common for me). I normally sit in the 'outdoor' bit in the first lounge, is there also something like that in the Concorde room?
Hi,

Yes there is . With the bar on your left just go straight ahead and there are doors to take you to the "outdoor bit"

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SurbitonFlyer
Yes, that's the Terrace, which is bigger and better placed that that in Flounge/GC North, and with better furniture spread further apart, but otherwise similar.

There are 8 different seating areas in CCR: Concorde Dining, Concorde Bar, high benches, fire places, side sofas, rear seating by Special Services desk, Board Room, Terrace, plus the cabanas would make 9. And that, roughly speaking is the priority order of proactive service, other than that the cabanas and board room do have call bells for service.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, CCR, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, that's the Terrace, which is bigger and better placed that that in Flounge/GC North, and with better furniture spread further apart, but otherwise similar.

There are 8 different seating areas in CCR: Concorde Dining, Concorde Bar, high benches, fire places, side sofas, rear seating by Special Services desk, Board Room, Terrace, plus the cabanas would make 9. And that, roughly speaking is the priority order of proactive service, other than that the cabanas and board room do have call bells for service.
That's great. Many thanks for that I had no idea - I don't spend huge amounts of time in lounges and was going to return to the outdoor bit in the F lounge but will ask where the terrace bit is. Learn something new every day - thanks once again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.