Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lounge Behaviour - am I the only one disgusted..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by SukiB
I'm sure you didn't know this (otherwise I'm sure you wouldn't have said it, even in jest), but all the Specials I know find this term quite offensive. Most of the long term Specials take it very seriously, it being exactly the same job as a regular officer but without pay. I would hardly call dealing with railway fatalities, serious assaults, drug dealers etc a pastime or hobby in any respect. It's a valuable civic voluntary duty, not just an excuse to drive cars really fast.
Respect ^
And the Honorary Police have been keeping things in order in Jersey for centuries, and still outnumber the States of jersey Police, I believe.
"So there you have it - lots of facts but nothing that jumps out and says “Day One” although I would like to believe that the Parish Police began to evolve in 1331." http://www.jerseyhonorarypolice.org/...out-us/history

(oops, I've gone OT again. Sorry)
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Respect ^
And the Honorary Police have been keeping things in order in Jersey for centuries, and still outnumber the States of jersey Police, I believe.
"So there you have it - lots of facts but nothing that jumps out and says “Day One” although I would like to believe that the Parish Police began to evolve in 1331." http://www.jerseyhonorarypolice.org/...out-us/history

(oops, I've gone OT again. Sorry)
Thanks! but to bring this more on thread, it's quite interesting how people behave while travelling. Air and rail travel can be similar in the impact of behaviour.

Being in close proximity to each other, delays, safety etc are all factors that stress people out, and the least people can do is be courteous to others and behave appropriately. Unfortunately, if you put these factors together (and mix with alcohol), people seem to forget.

On a brighter note, air travellers are much better behaved than rail travellers - probably for a number of reasons, including the price of a ticket and the consequences of being kicked off
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
I'm sure you didn't know this (otherwise I'm sure you wouldn't have said it, even in jest), but all the Specials I know find this term quite offensive. Most of the long term Specials take it very seriously, it being exactly the same job as a regular officer but without pay. I would hardly call dealing with railway fatalities, serious assaults, drug dealers etc a pastime or hobby in any respect. It's a valuable civic voluntary duty, not just an excuse to drive cars really fast.
Another trip down OMNI-lane
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
It's a reasonably self-selecting bunch though, which excludes essentially anyone with a complex job involving the weekends. Providing training only in a 3 week solid blocks or on 26 successive Saturdays (even if applicants are willing to pay for training off-schedule) introduces very substantial selection bias into the system.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by Lioneye
The other evening on the train home from London a very well spoken lady asked a youth to remove his feet from the seat. He ignored her. She repeated her request more forcibly and he kissed his teeth at her.

His feet remained on the seat.

It's a minefield. I know you see signs to keep your feet off but I don't know if it's legally enforceable. If people have no manners they have no manners.
Moments like that and you wish Dirty Harry would appear and ask the punk if he feels lucky!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr P
Sorry meant sprawl.. Silly predictive text
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
It's gross watching people in state of semi-undress, sprawled over the furniture, sleeping, snoring, and generally looking and smelling like pigs. You see it all the time. It should be stopped.
Are you sure you didn't mean "spiraled"?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by BA or bust
Moments like that and you wish Dirty Harry would appear and ask the punk if he feels lucky!
Indeed! there is an element in all of us that wishes Clint's character would turn up and sort things out

In reality, I think only very few of us would actually like to policed by someone like him! (and I think we are lucky that we are not).
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Indeed! there is an element in all of us that wishes Clint's character would turn up and sort things out

In reality, I think only very few of us would actually like to policed by someone like him! (and I think we are lucky that we are not).
Yes, think of all the cleaning/repair bills that would ensue.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I wish that Miss Manners would walk around and eject people who don't behave well. One strike and you're gone.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Well it's preposterous to think you can use an airport lounge as a snooze area.
It's my lounge and I snooze if I want to.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dera
It's my lounge and I snooze if I want to.
You're welcome to snooze away any time you feel the need.....you won't bother me.

It's the drama queens I can't be arsed with.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by pinkcat
You have to be joking right?
do you actually think you have more entitlement to the lounge than pax in between flights?
so what if they fall asleep? sometimes long haul travel or starting at some ungodly hour is tiring
no one falls asleep with the intention of disturbing other people by snoring, if it offends your delicate ears, just move
I think its a bit much to expect everyone to be sat wide awake for your convenience
astonishingly rude.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:38 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

I've never understood why it's considered rude to sleep in a lounge. I had an hour's nap at Helsinki in the new quiet zone mentioned up thread. I took my shoes off, kept my socks and clothes on and wore an eyeshade, and my alarm was on vibrate rather than "loud".

I understand in Galleries at Heathrow that people will sprawl over 3/4 places on a sofa to sleep, but in the absence of any dedicated snooze zone, who can blame them?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
part of quote

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I do not particularly wish to see knickers under an excessively short skirt...
Agree with most of what you said but when I was a late teen I'd spend hours searching for such a view. Now, many years later, if she's pretty I'll put up with it. Otherwise no, please cover up.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:31 am

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
This thread indicates that there are some terribly sensitive people using BA lounges!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.