Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lounge Behaviour - am I the only one disgusted..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Behaviour - am I the only one disgusted..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:03 am

I've seen someone actually clipping their toenails underneath the Toby Zeigler in Galleries F.

The piece is named "Designated for Leisure" (2003), though I'm not certain that's the sort of leisure activity the artist had in mind to complement his work.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by bioblot
Nothing wrong with that, it's just an extension of the floor that is likely to see nothing other than feet. I haven't seen anyone try to eat off it for example. Anyway, I am sure* BA directs their cleaning contractors to wipe the surface down between every leg, so it shouldn't affect other passengers at all.

*OK I am not sure at all on this point, but that's where the only problem with bulkhead feet lies.
Our cleaners don't even wipe down the tray tables between every flight, so no, they don't clean the bulkhead. I do dislike feet where they don't belong, basically anywhere above floor level, whether shoed or not.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
You can witness disgusting behaviour from the general public on a daily basis so I don't normally get too worked up about it unless they do it on my own property.

Everyone is capable of it......not just those who wear string vests.
People should travel on trains more if they would like to see really appalling manners.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by paul4040
People should travel on trains more if they would like to see really appalling manners.
The other evening on the train home from London a very well spoken lady asked a youth to remove his feet from the seat. He ignored her. She repeated her request more forcibly and he kissed his teeth at her.

His feet remained on the seat.

It's a minefield. I know you see signs to keep your feet off but I don't know if it's legally enforceable. If people have no manners they have no manners.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by oscietra
I've seen someone actually clipping their toenails underneath the Toby Zeigler in Galleries F.
Was it Toby Ziegler?

Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Lioneye
It's a minefield. I know you see signs to keep your feet off but I don't know if it's legally enforceable. If people have no manners they have no manners.
It's a breach of the Railway Byelaws, and Merseyrail frequently prosecute people. (I don't agree with this Judge Dredd-style approach btw, but yes, it is enforceable!)

http://www.southportvisiter.co.uk/ne...policy-6599381
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:19 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Angry

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
I've commented on this before, but I think it's a real problem at the Galleries Sth lounge at LHR due to the high number of transit passengers there. My enjoyment of the peace and quiet has frequently be interrupted by the sudden sound of male snoring.

I would be against 'polite notices' everywhere though as they would simply be ignored.

A gentle: 'Oi, the hotel is THAT way", might help from a BA member of staff.
I agree, I get so wound up seeing it but it does seem to stem mainly from transitting off an overnight flight, really makes me want to confront them. Had an issue with a couple in Nice airport really, both put their feet on the table - i didn't have the nerve to say anything but gave them a stare with daggers and loudly commented on the lack of manners many hold
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Ha, just posted my own similar-veined thread before reading this!
Just shows contempt for those around you I think.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Was it Toby Ziegler?

Oops, Ziegler, spelling, not likely to see him (the actor at least) flies Virgin as a chum bumped into him last month on the way back from LA in Upper Class. Same name as the artist.

Take a look at his stuff when you're next near the GF champagne bar:

"Composed on reflective industrial fabric, the painting’s surface shifts and transforms when viewed from different angles, revealing the landscape within as a chimera of light and perspective."
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by paul4040 (In response to Sapper188's post)
I wish we could get BA to put up signs although there will always be the DYKWIA who fails to comply:
No feet on tables - Agree
I agree too. It's a horrible, inconsiderate behaviour towards other passengers who might use the table later.

No sleeping on sofas, thus taking up space - Where else will people sleep on a four hour layover, arriving off a redeye?
Upright, not taking up all the sofa! It does two things - reduces the likelihood of snoring and it reduces the space taken up by them.

Having said that, I think BA should provide sun lounger-like seats that are not flat but reclined instead of some of the sofas.

No holding loud conversations on phones" There should be a room for making and taking calls especially for the DYKWIA - Agree
Indeed, I think there should be a quiet zone in the lounge where anyone using the mobile phone or otherwise making too much would be chucked out, and the rest of the lounge will have a noise limit too.

Decent dress sense. - I don't mind what people wear
I don't really care about that one, as long as they do not smell and are covered up sufficiently. I do not particularly wish to see knickers under an excessively short skirt or someone in a mankini in a lounge or on board though. As long as it is reasonable, I don't care.

No eating loudly with your mouth open. - Agree
I agree too, I really hate it when anyone nearby does that. It makes me feel ill, so I am compelled to walk away! It's pretty horrible to chew with one's mouth open, whether it's loud or not. I think it should be an offence that warrants eviction from the lounge or the aeroplane.

Although there is a sign about children being accompanied to the food, perhaps staff could enforce this. I don't want food that has been picked up and then put down!! - Agree!!!
Absolutely agree!!! I keep seeing children do this, and even taking a bite and putting it down. However, as I have seen so many parents supposedly supervising their children and still allowing them to do this, so I don't think "supervision" is helpful. More like policing by staff is needed.

Anymore?
Any more? Lots more... I have seen so many cases of the following in T5 GF and other various lounges (and for non-buffet comments, in the CCR, as well as on board too).

Feet in shoes on seats.

Loud sniffling instead of blowing one's nose.

Failure to put the hand towel in the loo into the bin and instead throwing them on the floor.

Leaving a right mess behind in the loo.

Leaving dirty plates/glasses around the buffet.

Standing around right by the buffet talking or eating for an extended period of time, preventing others from accessing it.

Picking up food from the buffet with one's hands when there are serving utensils provided. (I like the QF lounge signs that tell people they MUST use the serving utensils provided.)

Stuffing their bag with food and drink from the lounge. I saw someone stuff about 10 packets of crisps the other day.

Wheeled bag on a seat or table. Wheels are the same as feet in shoes. Not exactly good, is it?

Picking nose and sticking the gunk on the seat (!!).

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Oct 20, 2014 at 8:50 am
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold
It's a breach of the Railway Byelaws, and Merseyrail frequently prosecute people. (I don't agree with this Judge Dredd-style approach btw, but yes, it is enforceable!)

http://www.southportvisiter.co.uk/ne...policy-6599381
There's no specific bylaw, it's a catch all under Bylaw 6. Train operators, however can have specific rules of carriage.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I saw some particularly impressive "bad behaviour" in the Glasgow lounge a couple of weekends ago whilst waiting for my delayed flight. The standout items have to be:
  • Ignoring the tongs when selecting the sandwiches (I don't know where your hands have been)
  • Watching the tongs fall onto the floor whilst grabbing 5 sandwiches by hand & then picking them up and putting them back
  • Digging ones hand into the cruton pot to get a handful of "nibbles" (much like one would do with a bowl of peanuts)
  • When needing ice for a drink, ignoring the tongs and plunging ones hand into the ice bucket to grab a handful of ice

I picked all my food from other ends of the sandwich tray and/or a different ice bucket....
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
It is preposterous to ask people to pay for a day room at the Sofitel for a few hours. And many outstations don't have a hotel connected to the airport.
Well it's preposterous to think you can use an airport lounge as a snooze area.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by fdemoulin
I agree, I get so wound up seeing it but it does seem to stem mainly from transitting off an overnight flight, really makes me want to confront them. Had an issue with a couple in Nice airport really, both put their feet on the table - i didn't have the nerve to say anything but gave them a stare with daggers and loudly commented on the lack of manners many hold
Using it as a doss house for a few hours is my main issue. I don't expect to find some quiet time for myself for up to an hour while sharing it with a snorathon of transit pax.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Using it as a doss house for a few hours is my main issue. I don't expect to find some quiet time for myself for up to an hour while sharing it with a snorathon of transit pax.
But that's exactly what a lounge is for.....relaxing,especially in between flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.