Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios Redemption SFO-LHR very scarce Fall 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*

In the past, I've had very good luck finding J and F (especially the later) seats between SFO and LHR in the fall. I am searching in Sept/Oct of 2015, and I'm amazed at the scarcity of redemption seats, especially given that they've added the 380 to the later flight. I assumed with that there would be lots of seats released, but no. I am seeing some nice J availability on one day, I think it was Oct 5 or 6, but just that one day and almost no F.

Any thoughts on this? Is it just the demand for revenue J/F is increasing so they are holding back the redemption seats?

Thank you!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I monitor this route for availability from time to time. The halcyon days of good availability vanished about 3 years ago, and have only got tighter as the economies of both countries have improved. There a particular issue on that route that the business demand there is both price sensitive and books at short notice; This is the hi tech industries for you. As a consequence BA holds back a lot of redemption options until the very last moment - 3 days before departure - rather than risk denying revenue ticket holders a seat.

Therefore the best tactic is to plump for anything you can (notably PHX, LAS, LAX, SAN in roughly that order, or even via NYC) and then amend the booking as better options come up. There is an amendment fee for this if not GGL or Prem. Alternatively if BA Gold use a Gold Priority Booking with double Avios and cancel it if availability comes up, or a joker if GGL.

Just check once a day. ideally after 01:00 hrs London time, to see if there is anything new available via a dummy booking. Despite all of the above availability does come up, you just need a bit of luck and a lot of patience. Good luck.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I managed to upgrade my April flight to First this week.

Looking forward to experiencing First on the A380.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
The redemption from LHR to West Coast in general let alone J or F is always tough. I would recommend what CWS and book to LAS, PHX, LAX or SAN and take an AA flight to SFO/SJC.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
Being SFO based I'm constantly looking. However seems to be a lot more out of SEA and LAS or even PHX
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Actually you can try LHR - DFW/ORD - SJC. The DFW/ORD to SJC availability on avios is quite decent.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: BA, NW, Starwood
Originally Posted by Toula
Being SFO based I'm constantly looking. However seems to be a lot more out of SEA and LAS or even PHX
I used to have no trouble booking by 2-4-1 voucher in F out of SFO to LHR. However, I noticed that was no longer true, even booking way in advance. So, for this year's trip, we left from Boston!

I found a flight out of SEA for next March/April.

The good old days are gone!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by candacegar
I used to have no trouble booking by 2-4-1 voucher in F out of SFO to LHR. However, I noticed that was no longer true, even booking way in advance. So, for this year's trip, we left from Boston!

I found a flight out of SEA for next March/April.

The good old days are gone!
You think this is bad?
Try searching for AA U/Z availability WITH connections allowed.
(and I must do that as I am not paying BA YQ.)
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
Have you been using redemption finder? If not, give it a try.

http://www.baredemptionfinder.com/
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

I managed to snag a SFO-LHR redemption a couple of months back.

I recall when I was searching that availability was extremely thin, with the exception of one day which had 8 J and 1 F seat available on BOTH flights to London. I can't fathom the logic, except to wonder if its revenue management seeing how flexible people are prepared to be in order to avail of a redemption seat.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
I am hitting the same catastrophic situation trying to get 4 to SFO in September...

There is currently, or when i look earlier this morning 1 seat in J for SFO from London in the whole of June, July, August and September

I am looking at all alternatives... but it is not pretty, and by the time I add on the extra fares here and there and a couple of nights hotel, I may as well pay business there and back

Really means Avios and our fidelity to BA are valued at nothing
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Remember Aer Lingus now does SFO
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by Raffles
What does that change? especially when flying from GVA?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Do Aer Lingus actually release seats on this route for use with Avios? Not heard many reports
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:46 pm

If you can go out of SEA, there's First availability right now in Sept/Oct. It's not my first choice (LAX is my home airport), but I just booked out of SEA for next Sept/Oct.

Last edited by Buster; Oct 22, 2014 at 2:47 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.