Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Oil price at 4 year low but still V high fuel surcharges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oil price at 4 year low but still V high fuel surcharges

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by nux
YQ is a "carrier surcharge" and has no direct link to fuel cost.
That's not what BA told the US DOT this year in written legal documents.

Last edited by rrgg; Oct 10, 2014 at 1:52 pm
Old Oct 10, 2014, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
So if you got a petrol receipt from Tesco which said

1p/litre "price"
plus
129p/litre "taxes, duty and retailer charges"

you'd call that accurate itemisation?
You're like talking to a brick wall! I've shown you where it is accurately itemised within the last hour. If you're not able to retain information for that length of time, is there really any point in discussing anything?

Though your example is accurately itemised regardless (assuming that in your example Tesco had a specified retailer surcharge). I think what you mean is that it's vague. Which again, I and virtually no-one else cares about. The receipt could itemise every business cost Tesco incurs detailing what proportion of my purchase goes towards each one - as long as the total price is the price that the sign indicated it would be, I really couldn't care less.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by callum9999
It isn't remotely a con and it is clearly itemised, so there are no "smoke and mirrors" involved either. To a consumer buying revenue fares it makes no difference whatsoever whether the fare is Ł500 or Ł200 + Ł300 YQ. For a consumer buying an avios fare it makes no difference whatsoever whether the surcharge is Ł300 YQ or a Ł300 redemption surcharge. What exactly are you objecting to - are you really this annoyed just because of the description they put next to the charge? (I'm assuming you're well aware that the charge will always be there in some form - whether it's rolled into the fare price or called something different?)
You certainly seem to be missing the point I was trying to make.

If you purchase a revenue fare from BA a part of the bargain is that you'll receive additional value in the form of future travel, after you've paid some surcharges and taxes.

The problem is:

And you still think the airlines aren't sailing extremely close to the wind?

It frankly amazes me the punters put up with it and the airlines haven't already been taken to task by the various consumer protection bodies who seem to have their collective heads in the sand over this.
        Old Oct 11, 2014, 2:01 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
        When the alternative is not having a frequent flyer scheme, I'm happy with what we currently get. And make no mistake: that is the alternative. Consumer outcry, legal action, whatever will not accomplish a happy magic land where YQ doesn't exist, you can use Avios to buy the last seat on any plane, and you can get CX F from JFK-HKG for 100 Avios and tuppence ha'penny.
        Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by stifle
        When the alternative is not having a frequent flyer scheme, I'm happy with what we currently get. And make no mistake: that is the alternative.
        To me this is essentially a labelling issue. Why should a bit more honesty by BA on their prices vs the external taxes and fees (government- and airport- levied) mean they'd have to shut the entire scheme down? If you belive some FTers all the information is there anyway if you dig hard enough.

If you moved the YQ back into the fare, then presumably all Avios redemption bands would just need to have a substantial cash component.
        Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:05 am

(...)and you can get CX F from JFK-HKG for 100 Avios and tuppence ha'penny.
        Funny you should mention CX F. Some numbers:

The carrier charge for a CX F flight from FRA to HKG is Ł65

The carrier charge for a CX F flight from LHR to HKG is Ł65

The carrier charge for a BA F flight from LHR to HKG is Ł179.50 (but this is easily explained because BA F is widely viewed as 2.76x better than CX F )

The carrier charge for a BA F flight from JFK to LHR is Ł259.40 (this is explained because of Chase giving away all those damn Avios )

Look at the figures, look at the distances, look at the carriers.

EDIT: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=FRA-HKG;+LHR-HKG;+JFK-LHR

Oh, and remember that 241 voucher that's "saving" you so much? Could it just be that BA is clawing that saving back via inflated YQ on its metal?
        Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
        I actually believe that the regulations requiring airlines to always advertise the full price of any service should apply here. So, BA should be compelled to say JFK-LHR-JFK costs 120K Avios plus $1000 in F. The Avios and cash components must be given equal prominence. I also believe that Chase should only be allowed to advertise their 2-4-1 vouchers when giving equal prominence to additional charges. For example, "get our card and 2 of you can go to London in Club World for $2000."

No argument as to if the fees are justified or not. YQ has been used instead of increasing redemption levels, that is clear, and unfortunately a fact of life. For cash tickets it makes no real difference anyway.
        Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
        Funny you should mention CX F. Some numbers:

The carrier charge for a CX F flight from FRA to HKG is Ł65

The carrier charge for a CX F flight from LHR to HKG is Ł65

The carrier charge for a BA F flight from LHR to HKG is Ł179.50 (but this is easily explained because BA F is widely viewed as 2.76x better than CX F )

The carrier charge for a BA F flight from JFK to LHR is Ł259.40 (this is explained because of Chase giving away all those damn Avios )

Look at the figures, look at the distances, look at the carriers.

EDIT: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=FRA-HKG;+LHR-HKG;+JFK-LHR

Oh, and remember that 241 voucher that's "saving" you so much? Could it just be that BA is clawing that saving back via inflated YQ on its metal?
        CX does call the YQ a fuel surcharge but unlike most airlines theirs is government regulated, changes monthly and is directly linked to the oil price.

It's decreased several times in the last few months.
        Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:25 am

To me this is essentially a labelling issue. Why should a bit more honesty by BA on their prices vs the external taxes and fees (government- and airport- levied) mean they'd have to shut the entire scheme down? If you belive some FTers all the information is there anyway if you dig hard enough.

If you moved the YQ back into the fare, then presumably all Avios redemption bands would just need to have a substantial cash component.
        I take back my brick wall comment, you're clearly being deliberately obtuse. You don't have to "believe" me, it IS there and having to click one CLEARLY labelled button does not equate to having to "dig for it".
        Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:59 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci

I don't think this makes any meaningful sense, I'm afraid. BA doesn't advertise* Avios redemptions as free, or at all. "40,000 Avios plus Ł200 redemption fee" is not functionally different to "40,000 Avios plus Ł0 redemption fee plus Ł200 surcharges". I am simply saying that if YQ were regulated out of existence (not just renamed) then redemption flights would be unlikely to prove economically viable on the current terms.

*I'm using advertise in the traditional sense of "pay some other company to put out publicity about it", for the avoidance of doubt
        Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:53 am

I don't think this makes any meaningful sense, I'm afraid. BA doesn't advertise* Avios redemptions as free, or at all. "40,000 Avios plus Ł200 redemption fee" is not functionally different to "40,000 Avios plus Ł0 redemption fee plus Ł200 surcharges".
        BA currently goes out of their way to hide the YQ in with the taxes and external fees:

That "Price per person: Ł0.00" box is misdirection. Retailers don't typically hide their margin in with the VAT on your receipt
        Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:27 am

There is a simple solution here; if you really object to BA advertising, fares, carrier charges, Avios, etc, then DON'T fly BA.
        Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by muscat
        There is a simple solution here; if you really object to BA advertising, fares, carrier charges, Avios, etc, then DON'T fly BA.
        ...or, continue to collect Avios but avoid non-RFS redemptions on BA metal.
        Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
        Anyway to answer the actual question.

All airlines tend to buy the vast majority of fuel on long term contracts at a fixed price, and/or use future and options contracts to fix the price.

The fuel currently being poured into BA aircraft's tanks was "purchase" years ago, so hopefully BA is busy buying up fuel now but the lower price don't be reflected in higher profits (well at least lower losses) or even perhaps cheaper fares for a while.

NOTE - Your car fuel prices have not dropped as the vast majority of the cost of fuel is tax going to the government, lets all hope they spend it wisely and don't p### our money on stupid schemes and vanity projects...
        Old Oct 11, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
        Originally Posted by Worcester
        The fuel currently being poured into BA aircraft's tanks was "purchase" years ago, so hopefully BA is busy buying up fuel now but the lower price don't be reflected in higher profits (well at least lower losses) or even perhaps cheaper fares for a while.
        This is true, and a little known fact is that BA have run out of fuel storage facilities so now store the fuel in the champagne bottles they carry in their Club Europe cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.