150 Pound BA Card for lost Luggage

Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:31 am
Original Poster

150 Pound BA Card for lost Luggage

So, I arrived but my bag didn't. Spoke to the contracted baggage people and BA gave me a £150 credit card to get my essentials. Looks like the bag won't be delivered today and I am wondering what to do if it doesn't arrive soon. Is this the only comp that I am entitled to from BA? I can always go back on my insurance but I would be looking at them to replace the bag and contents which is significant. Any help appreciated.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Delayed not lost to be correct.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: ABBA
BA should fund your essentials. During hurricane sandy I was without my bag for 4 days my essentials came out as about £30 worth of clothes and toiletries, that was in danger of jumping considerably (nearly doubling) if it had been much longer, as I'd have had to buy a new pair of jeans.

I believe some people in mcdonalds like jobs have to wear uniforms, or "suits", and claim these can cost hundreds of pounds and it's absolutely essential. That's between you and BA to persuade them
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:01 am

£150 for essentials. If lost then there are limits as to the compensation. Depending on what you carry you may be fine or not. Thence insurance.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, some hotels...
Originally Posted by paulwuk
During hurricane sandy I was without my bag for 4 days my essentials came out as about £30 worth of clothes and toiletries
Did you mean £300? If it was indeed £30 please let us know where to get clothes for 4 days for that amount!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Gold77
Did you mean £300? If it was indeed £30 please let us know where to get clothes for 4 days for that amount!
PRIMARK
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Gold77
The expensive stuff (shoes), I was wearing. Didn't have a jacket from memory, but did have a jumper. Came in on the last EWR arrival. Got into town, Macy's and other stores were shut, Duane Reade had socks, vests and underwear, as will as toothpaste and brush. Came to about $25 I think for 4 days worth.

Was in NY for a few days (power in the office and the hotel), got the first train to Washington from Newark penn station and my bag was waiting at the office in DC for me.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:16 am
Original Poster

day two and no bag. Heading out tomorrow morning as well to start the real trip and need to seriously consider buying clothes for the next 5 days. As two flights came in this morning, things aren't looking so good as the status is still stuck on Tracing Continues.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:20 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
I originally posted this in another thread:

Article 22 of the Montreal Convention doesn't actually differentiate between delayed and lost baggage and, under the convention, you can purchase replacement items for up to 1,131 SDR (GBP1,047.15):

In the carriage of baggage, the liability of the carrier in the case of destruction, loss, damage or delay is limited to 1,000 Special Drawing Rights for each passenger unless the passenger has made, at the time when the checked baggage was handed over to the carrier, a special declaration of interest in delivery at destination and has paid a supplementary sum if the case so requires.
(The 1,000 SDR limit was increased to 1,131 in 2009. See U.S. Department of Transportation, Inflation Adjustments to Liability Limits Governed by the Montreal Convention Effective December 30, 2009, 74 F.R. 59017-18 (Nov. 16, 2009)

I'd try to be reasonable with it, but you can force BA to adhere to the Montreal Convention.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Delayed not lost to be correct.
Correct. Hoping you can help me to understand what my rights are now that it is day two and I have to consider purchasing beyond the 150 pounds that was given. Thanks.

Last edited by yyz-kin; Oct 10, 2014 at 4:24 am Reason: SP
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by yyz-kin
Correct. Hoping you can help me to understand what my tights are now that it is day two and I have to consider purchasing beyond the 150 pounds that was given. Thanks.
You are allowed a reasonable amount of tights and other clothing + cosmetic items. Keep a receipt, photo them and the receipt, send it in afterwards. You should deduct the debit card off the total. BA have a good reputation in this area. If you buy from Marks and Spencer or Gap you are unlikely to be challenged, but if you bill them for some laundry or service washes then it makes it even more difficult to challenge.

You can also claim for electrical items, such as a battery charger.

Reports on here suggest payment is arranged a few days after receipt of the documentation.

If the items are lost - which is now extremely rare - then there is a separate process for claiming for that, covered by the Convention mentioned above. It's unlikely to come to that.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by merrickdb
I originally posted this in [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1589877-urgent-baggage-delayed-lost-going-cruise-tomorrow-am.html"]
I'd try to be reasonable with it, but you can force BA to adhere to the Montreal Convention.
Thanks merrickdb - this was very helpful, much appreciated.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:29 am

Programs: Gold Mega Legend
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You are allowed a reasonable amount of tights and other clothing + cosmetic items. ..
I suspect that the "tights" referred to may have been "rights"....
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by revan
I suspect that the "tights" referred to may have been "rights"....
Best spelling mistake of the day!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by yyz-kin
Correct. Hoping you can help me to understand what my rights are now that it is day two and I have to consider purchasing beyond the 150 pounds that was given. Thanks.
Wish I could help but baggage issues are not in cabin crews remit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.