Wiki Posts
Search

US Gold Holders?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
US Gold Holders?

so i've been AA executive platinum or concierge key for the last 8 or so years.

my flying is both shifting to lots of BA/europe and the US market i just pay for biz or f now.

is there anyone out there that is US based who opts for gold card over AA exec plat? whats the upside?

thanks!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VSLover
so i've been AA executive platinum or concierge key for the last 8 or so years.

my flying is both shifting to lots of BA/europe and the US market i just pay for biz or f now.

is there anyone out there that is US based who opts for gold card over AA exec plat? whats the upside?

thanks!
Upside is: free lounge access (AAdmirals club as Silver/Flagship club as Gold) on every AA/US flight—no need to buy a pass.

Avios spending on US/AA domestics tends to be a good deal.

If you're a CCR card holder (5000 TP) the CCR is obviously nice, but a bit restricted since you will only be there to fly to LON.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:20 pm
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card
US Gold Holders?

I've been a US based GCH for a couple of years and I think it's the better program for me. If you fly premium cabins status comes easier/quicker. You miss out on the free upgrades though I still hey a fair amount on AA/US and you get free live access even when flying domestic.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:33 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:48 pm
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
As others have said, if you fly premium cabins, you earn status more easily and you get lounge access. For example, I've reached 1600 tier points (BA gold/OWE) so far in about 6 months since my annual reset, flying about 32000 miles so far, with every flight of more than 2 hours in first or business. If I credited to AA or US, I'd probably not quite be gold (oneworld sapphire). If I had flown this all in economy, I would have only 380 tier points on BA, and would be oneworld ruby in either program.

Downside is lack of free upgrades, though I've found those to become a lot more difficult the last few years anyway.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: BA GfL
I've been a US-based BA Gold for about 15 years. Most of my work travel, and probably half of my vacation travel, was international anyway, flying BA as much as possible. At the beginning, it just seemed to make the most sense to collect miles on BA especially because of the BA/AA blackout on transatlantic award tickets (this is now history, thank goodness).

These days I am no longer working but still very happy to be BA Gold rather than AA. First of all, the ability to use OneWorld lounges even on domestic flights is very welcome. Second, the entry of US into OneWorld means that I'm now able to use Avios to book flights on the biggest carrier at my home airport. BA's redemption rates for US domestic flights are extremely competitive--vastly better than the redemption rates and ridiculous fees charged for BA flights!

My retirement project for the next few years is to fly my way to Lifetime Gold on BA. I have definitely found it worthwhile.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelmad478
BA's redemption rates for US domestic flights are extremely competitive
Out of curiosity, are you redeeming in F—and do you think it's a good deal compared to collecting US Airways miles and redeeming through US to get the same cabin?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Calchas
Out of curiosity, are you redeeming in F—and do you think it's a good deal compared to collecting US Airways miles and redeeming through US to get the same cabin?
I almost always redeem domestic flights in Y (they're so short that F is not worth it), so unfortunately I can't comment on the rates for F. The other good thing about collecting/redeeming BA miles for US vs. US miles for US is that BA offer one-way redemptions, while US do not. Once US and AA merge their programs, that may change.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:58 pm

OP, do you live in an AA/US hub? BA redemptions are charged on a segment-by-segment basis, so if you're redeeming domestically on AA/US, but need to connect, things will be a lot more expensive than if you live in a hub and can make non-stop redemptions.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:59 am
Original Poster

thanks everyone for the input. interestingly it looks like i will be transferring to LON for a few years making this obvious for me now, especially since my US travel will be primarily JFK/SFO.

new question: in 2015 i will still be AA ExP. this is the year i will shoot for BA Gold, but when i book my tix, i'll have to use my lowly BA Blue (or whatever the lowest tier is) to start accumulating.

will i still be allowed BA First lounge access if i have my current OW Emerald card on me from AA? the AA guide only states i get access if i an on a OW operated flight. the lawyer in me says yes, i should get access.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
new question: in 2015 i will still be AA ExP. this is the year i will shoot for BA Gold, but when i book my tix, i'll have to use my lowly BA Blue (or whatever the lowest tier is) to start accumulating.

will i still be allowed BA First lounge access if i have my current OW Emerald card on me from AA? the AA guide only states i get access if i an on a OW operated flight. the lawyer in me says yes, i should get access.
yes, you will get access if you show the lounge attendant your explat card.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:13 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Yes. Add your AA number to your booking to allow free seat selection, then you can change it to your BAEC number either prior to the flight or at the airport. You can change it after entering the lounge, so your boarding pass would initially show your AA EXP details. Otherwise you will need to produce your AA EXP card on entry.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
Yes. Add your AA number to your booking to allow free seat selection, then you can change it to your BAEC number either prior to the flight or at the airport. You can change it after entering the lounge, so your boarding pass would initially show your AA EXP details. Otherwise you will need to produce your AA EXP card on entry.
thats exactly what i was wondering since i have only once or twice accidentally had my booking via ba.com switch to the BA Blue number after making some change.

this has all been very helpful, thank you! traditionally i have been based in SFO/JFK and as some have noted, even as an exp the complimentary upgrades have all but vanished on the route require purchase these days.

my primary concern was "starting over" at the bottom! i've been exp for 10 years now and the BA perks have been great, but it is good to know i can maintain those perks whilst gaining gold in the new year. and looking at the calculator, should not take much given my longhaul is almost all j/f. i save the cheapies for continental europe
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:18 am
Original Poster

hi there-

i am already qualified to AA ExP until feb 2016 and with my already planned trips over the next three months, i can qualify for BA Gold too.

for those that have done it, what are your strategies of using tools available to you via online booking?

specifically as relates to flights i already booked under my AA num:

(1) if i book JFK-LHR and want to use a SWU, do i keep my AA num in there then have them change it at the airport after i get the upgrade? does it matter?

(2) if i am coach LAX-JFK, and need my free bag allowance do i change my num at check in at the airport, or later in lounge?

(3) if flying int'l, obviously as BA Blue (lowest tier) i do not get flagship access but as a OW emerald i do--so is it a matter of just showing my card?

thanks all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.