Poor US domestic award availability

Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Poor US domestic award availability

Trying to burn some avios on US domestic flights for next August, I have a hard time finding good availability. For instance, on such a busy route as JFK-LAX, the availability is very spread out, with most flights having only 1 J seat available (none in Y), which makes it impossible to travel as a couple. Will AA open up more domestic award seats later during the year, or is the availability really that poor?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
You've answered it yourself, it's a busy route - so availability is unlikely to be anything other than sporadic
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Have you looked at Alaska Airlines? You can check their availability via their own website, but have to call BA to book.

Also, remember there are a bunch of airports around LA, not just LAX. Ditto the other end - have a look at EWR or maybe even PHL as well as JFK.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
You've answered it yourself, it's a busy route - so availability is unlikely to be anything other than sporadic
Busy in the sense of number of flights. With almost hourly flights throughout the day, I am surprised that they only can offer something like 4-5 J seats on all those flights.

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Have you looked at Alaska Airlines? You can check their availability via their own website, but have to call BA to book.
I called this morning, however they couldnt help me. Whatever is on BA.com is all they could see.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by B747forever
Busy in the sense of number of flights. With almost hourly flights throughout the day, I am surprised that they only can offer something like 4-5 J seats on all those flights.

I called this morning, however they couldnt help me. Whatever is on BA.com is all they could see.
Do your searches on aa.com for AA and US flights and then call BA to try to book what you see on aa.com. That may help a bit. [I also search on AS's website to get Alaska Air options.]

AA award availability has gotten substantially worse since AA and US hooked up. And there are also now de facto blackout dates and other customer-unfriendly games being played (even as AApologists may try to deny that has been happening too).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.