Wiki Posts
Search

Double downgrade refund

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
Double downgrade refund

Can anyone advise if this is automatic as was told to me at the airport or will i need to contact BA?

The story as follows

I was on the 2166 from TPA to LGW on the 18th Sept, the incoming plane had to be changed due to a fault so the replacement had a different configuration meaning many CW and WT+ passengers were downgraded. We were downgraded to WT from CW. The flight was also very late but the EU261 claim has been applied for already.

At the check in desk we were told we would receive the fare difference automatically within 10 days, so is this the case? Also to complicate matters my ticket was a WT+ UUA with my wife's ticket a full Cw redemption.

So what should I expect in refund?

Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

EU261 covers this too; entitlement is 75% of fare paid
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I'd be surprised if it did happen automatically... You may have to write in and claim your refunds - hold on to your boarding passes until you get the Avios and money

Out of interest, what was the replacement aircraft, and how did BA have a spare one in TPA?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXBA
I'd be surprised if it did happen automatically... You may have to write in and claim your refunds - hold on to your boarding passes until you get the Avios and money

Out of interest, what was the replacement aircraft, and how did BA have a spare one in TPA?
The change originated from the outbound flight from LGW, our delay was caused by that flight being delayed
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
be interesting to see what they consider to the fare difference to be? would they use Y price or a cheaper fare bucket.

If you paid for WT+, the difference between that and a full Y fare could well be nothing!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:16 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by stewaran
be interesting to see what they consider to the fare difference to be? would they use Y price or a cheaper fare bucket.

If you paid for WT+, the difference between that and a full Y fare could well be nothing!
Would that matter? According to Dave Noble above the OP is entitled to 75% refund of the fare paid, and any difference shouldn't come into it...
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Is 75% the standard even if one leg flown (outbound) was fine?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mc1973
Correct. There is a dispute as to whether that's 75% of the entire ticket, or 75% of the affected sector (as allocated) but my reading of the Regs is that is the former, BA's reading - strangely - is the latter.

See here for more information:
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Correct. There is a dispute as to whether that's 75% of the entire ticket, or 75% of the affected sector (as a share of the total ticket cost, so typically 37.5% of a return ticket price) but my reading of the Regs is that is the former, BA's reading - strangely - is the latter. You need to specifically claim this as EU261 in words of one syllable!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...61-2004-a.html
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Correct. There is a dispute as to whether that's 75% of the entire ticket, or 75% of the affected sector (as a share of the total ticket cost, so typically 37.5% of a return ticket price) but my reading of the Regs is that is the former, BA's reading - strangely - is the latter. You need to specifically claim this as EU261 in words of one syllable!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...61-2004-a.html
Thanks, I thought the EU261 was for delays and have already submitted for that.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:10 am

We were downgraded to WT from CW.
Crikey! There is no way I could/would have accepted that due to a serious back issue (well two actually). I wonder if any downgraded passengers elected to wait for the next day's flight.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by V10
Would that matter? According to Dave Noble above the OP is entitled to 75% refund of the fare paid, and any difference shouldn't come into it...
And according to article 10 of the regulation

No need to sit an ponder over what BA would want to use as a fare difference when it is legislated

Originally Posted by EU261
2. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased, it shall within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), reimburse
(a) 30 % of the price of the ticket for all flights of 1 500 kilometres or less, or

(b) 50 % of the price of the ticket for all intra-Community flights of more than 1 500 kilometres, except flights between the European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments, and for all other flights between 1 500 and 3 500 kilometres, or

(c) 75 % of the price of the ticket for all flights not falling under (a) or (b), including flights between the European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments.
Not only is it legislated, but there is a time limit for the airline to provide the refund too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.