Club World Menu- NRT to LHR

Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Bronze. Skywards: Silver
Club World Menu- NRT to LHR

Hi Guys,

Hopefully a regular traveller from NRT to LHR will be able to help!

Does anyone know the menu choice for this router?

I tired using search but to no avail!

also going to reserve 3 seats in club world, is it better to select the three in the middle (wife, myself, and brother)? or should i go for the two window seats (will we both be served at the same time if booked window) and book the third seat behind us?

Thanks!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I don't have the exact menu, but there will be both Western and Asian options.

I would go for the middle seats.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Thank you Genius 1.

Do you have any tips on whether i should book club world on the outbound or should i do it for the inbound?

As the outbound is from LHR is in the afternoon and we reach NRT in the morning iam assuming it would be better to book club world on this segment?

My only concern is would the service level differ as its in essence an overnight flight
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dood125
Thank you Genius 1.

Do you have any tips on whether i should book club world on the outbound or should i do it for the inbound?

As the outbound is from LHR is in the afternoon and we reach NRT in the morning iam assuming it would be better to book club world on this segment?

My only concern is would the service level differ as its in essence an overnight flight
I did LHR-NRT-LHR earlier this year. I booked WT+ and was able to UuA to CW both ways. I would say the LHR-NRT doesn't feel like an overnight flight in the same was an evening departure from the US East Coast does. The meal service was not rushed or like a sleeper service, but by the time you had finished eating around 1500 UK time then you have 6-7 hours to NRT so time for a good sleep.

On that basis I would absolutely advise to go in CW for the outbound since that is the leg you really want to sleep on.

For the return I was awake for the whole flight and didn't want to sleep anyway since it is a daytime flight. Tbh I probably would have been as happy to have been in WT+ as CW.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:07 am
Original Poster

thank you KARFA.

I will definately ensure to book CW (UUA from WT+) on the outbound.
I suppose the benefit is also being able to maximise the Galleries lounge at T5 which i have never experienced.

Do you by any chance remember the meal choices in both segments of CW?

Also how far in advance did you upgrade using avios?

thanks in advance!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Genius1
I don't have the exact menu, but there will be both Western and Asian options.

I would go for the middle seats.
This is BA, so steak (or beef) is bound to be on the menu.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:37 am

I usually take photos of the menu and the food but on that trip I didn't unfortunatley otherwise I would have happily shared them with you. Tbh I am trying to remember what we got but I can't.

My UuA strategy has always been to do it at the time of booking, and try and tie the booking in with a sale. On this occasion I booked in June 2013 for the trip which was for the last half of March 2014 but there wasn't a WT+ sale on at the time. Cost for WT+ and domestic connections to MAN and the extra carrier surcharge from WT+ to CW was 1481. As you might expect a WT+ started about 3 days after I booked it so had I held on for a few days I probably would have saved 300.

For the outbound my sleep strategy was to stay awake the night before so I could then go to sleep after the meal service and get 6 hours or so before waking up and landing in Japan. Had I not done that I think I would have had a problem trying to sleep on the flight as by the time my body clock decided it was evening UK time we would have only been 2-3 hours out from NRT. Sounds a bit nuts but it seemed to work and I felt ok for the arrival day in Tokyo.

Japan is an amazing country and the trip in March was my first there. I stayed in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Hiroshima during the trip. In fact I loved it so much I am off again next March again and also going to Korea as part of the trip. However, I have been much better at timing it with a sale so time cost was 1,048.37 which includes the upgrade to CW for outbound and inbound and domestic connections again. I booked that one at the start of July this year.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:57 am
Original Poster

wow thank you, looking forward to visiting Japan already! my first trip to this part of the world. South Asia is the furthest i've flown.

I've just realised that i have read quite a few of your posts!

Not a problem regarding the menu or pics. Hopefully someone will post some soon.

I will most likely book during the January sale in order to maximise my avios.

Please feel free to PM any tips to make the most of the lounge.

Also do we receive any P'jays in club? or has this been enhanced away.

Thank you!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by dood125
Also do we receive any P'jays in club? or has this been enhanced away.
On that point I don't think CW ever received pyjamas, they certainly haven't provided any the 2 years I have travelled in CW.

I always bring my own and go to the toilet to change in to them just before going to sleep. There is the initial feeling of self-conciousness the first time you do it but I am beyond that now. At the end of the day sleeping in your day clothes is not comfortable and you aviod getting off the plane wearing clothes you have just slept in.

I've just realised that i have read quite a few of your posts!
Thanks, I hope you have been amused and/or informed by them. I try my best

Please feel free to PM any tips to make the most of the lounge.
I will dig out my notes over the weekend and send you anything that might help.

Last edited by KARFA; Oct 3, 2014 at 8:35 am
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:29 am

It's been a while but I recall a vaguely Japanese starter option, and then just the usual CW mains.

I too have done the thing of minimising sleep the night before so that I could sleep on the LHR-NRT flight, and it worked quite well. Minimal sleep + a pill ensured I got a good 6 hours or so, which is quite a result for me on what is pretty much a daytime flight.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:48 pm

On a related note, does anyone know if there is a decent Japanese meal option in F NRT(or HND)-LHR?

It's a great country, if things go to plan, I'll be there again for the 4th time next spring. I would like to try JAL, but their F reward flights to Europe are like hen's teeth.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, some hotels...
Last time I did LHR-NRT in J we we're given slippers which are normally an F amenity. Was told it is because the Japanese people are much more hygiene conscious than Westerners...

Someone on that flight was obviously sooo much into hygiene that the Elemis products in both toilets on the UD kept disappearing! I wish they had searched everyone's bags at arrival for a laugh

I do not remember the meals but they had Japanese options and I remember chopsticks. And a very deferent Japanese crew member.

As to seating it depends on how much you guys plan to chat. Personally I would take a window pair for you and your wife, and have your bro at a window behind / in front.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 4:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
IMO the Japanese meal option isn't very Japanese - it is quite westernised.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your posts.

@Karfa- Yes your post certainly have kept me amused and proved to be useful! Appreciate you digging into your notes over the weekend! Look forward to the recommendations.

Now lets just hope that the january sales have some good deals to make this booking into a reality.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:28 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Gold77
Someone on that flight was obviously sooo much into hygiene that the Elemis products in both toilets on the UD kept disappearing! I wish they had searched everyone's bags at arrival for a laugh

I do not remember the meals but they had Japanese options and I remember chopsticks. And a very deferent Japanese crew member.
The last scheduled BA 744 service to NRT was in early 2011. The menus are changed a bit more regularly..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.