Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Water damaged passport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Kinda off topic - but I do have a non-changeable non refundable I class CW flight on Thurs PM to JFK

Just got my washing out of the machine and found my passport in there

I've got it drying on the water tank but I'm not that hopeful.

Online it says that the "Premium" service isn't available for a damaged passport so I'm looking at a week, so I'd miss a very important business trip and loose the value of my ticket.

Anyone got any experience of managing to get a replacement for a damaged passport any sooner? I'm going to call them at 8am
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS

I think if the premium service is not available for damage you could say you've lost it?

Last edited by vibrex; Sep 29, 2014 at 4:20 pm
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by vibrex
I think the premium service is not available for damage you could say you've lost it?
It's not available for lost neither I think, but you could claim a premium service for renewal based on too much 'wear and tear' as per this site: https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport
I have not used the premium service myself, but would give this a go. I just would not mention that it's damaged, as 'Replace a lost, stolen or damaged adult passport' - is not possible under premium service.
Hope this helps
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
It's not available for lost neither I think, but you could claim a premium service for renewal based on too much 'wear and tear' as per this site: https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport
I have not used the premium service myself, but would give this a go. I just would not mention that it's damaged, as 'Replace a lost, stolen or damaged adult passport' - is not possible under premium service.
Hope this helps
Don't you have to send the old one back to get the new one?

sammyg901, how bad is the damage?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
I had this happen a few years ago when I was in the US. I have a Finnish passport, and the picture page is waterproof. Is this not the case with UK passports?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

The actual photo page (it's a biometric one) actually seems to be OK - it's ever so slightly coming away on one corner. The stamps seem very washed out though. I've just put it in to dry in the airing cupboard now.

A friend has a (to me) quite damaged one and happily travels all over with it. Just a bit uncomfortable attempting travel to the US with it!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by vibrex
I think the premium service is not available for damage you could say you've lost it?
the 1 day premium is not available for lost passports either plus there are extra forms to complete as well (including a legal declaration that you have really lost it)

Premium service is not available for replacing a damaged passport either

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Hope this helps
Oh yes - you are right, its not available for lost - I just checked myself.

I used the premium service last time but that was for an urgent replacement due to expiry of an old one. The service is very efficient.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Yep a colleague lost his passport and couldn't get a replacement same day. That seems fair enough though. Seems odd that a damaged passport in theory can't be done as that's fairly low risk in my mind!

Anyway I will call in at 8am and see what can be done and let you know. If anyone has any minister friends or insiders at the home office and wants to PM be in the meantime feel free!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by sammyg901
Anyway I will call in at 8am and see what can be done and let you know. If anyone has any minister friends or insiders at the home office and wants to PM be in the meantime feel free!
It certainly won't do any harm to ring up and ask. I hope it works out for you.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Make an appointment for a same day renewal. Do not tell them it is damaged.

Turn up and plead your case at the counter.

Officially you are not supposed to be able to get a damaged or lost via the same day service. Unofficially, they can and will do it at their sole discretion - I know this from personal experience a couple of years ago. Nothing to lose by trying
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by leaveamessage

You plead your case at the counter - but then they say that they have to send it to another internal department for them to decide whether they can do a same day replacement. I got my passport rain damaged (so much less damage than a washing machine) and I booked a same day replacement service - at the counter at 9.30am they said that I would find out by 1pm that day whether it could be replaced or whether I would have to wait a week. Longest 3.5 hours ever... luckily mine was OK..
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I've done the same thing to a Canadian passport. The cover came off the main pages, but I did use it to go to the US, and they didn't bat an eyelid. This was a land crossing, rather than an airport, but I wasn't questioned about what happened to my passport and admitted with no problem.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by leaveamessage

Officially you are not supposed to be able to get a damaged or lost via the same day service. Unofficially, they can and will do it at their sole discretion - I know this from personal experience a couple of years ago. Nothing to lose by trying
+1 I used to contract for the IPS (as they were known then) and can confirm this is the only way you have any chance. Make sure you get a timed appointment.

Do not report it lost or stolen - this is not only illegal, it will delay your application, since the passport will need to go on a special register. You will also need to fill out a legal declaration (form LS01 if I am not mistaken) that it is lost/stolen as well as reporting it to the police if stolen and getting a crime reference number. You will also go though a more thorough security check, more like a first time application rather than a renewal.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Assuming this is a biometric passport with a chip, I'm certain you will be ok. As long as the main (plastic) page is legible and the data matches that on the chip, USCBP will know it's a genuine document. If you previously entered the US on that passport, even more so, since they'll have your picture and fingerprints online to compare to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.