Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Euro Traveller - Is it acceptable to ask for a 2nd drink?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond

Having flown old Club Europe VIE-LHR and then returned in the new cabin a few days later, I’ve definitely noticed the difference between the two. My opinion is the same as the majority that have commented on the ‘New Shorthaul Cabins‘ thread here on Flyertalk – that as far as space and comfort go - the new cabin is inferier. Whilst I agree that the new interier looks great, the CE passengers are certainly getting the bad end of the deal. I now see the only difference between Euro Traveller and Club Europe is a salad and piece of cake, of course with an empty seat next to you. When you consider that the retail cost of...say a flatbread (not that horrible sausage croissant thingy!), can be about £2, whilst the cost of salad, cake, and lump of cheese would be about £10.00 max...then I can’t now see the point of paying an extra €130+ for a Club seat. It is such a shame that BA seems to have, in this case, shot themselves in the foot. Instead of setting the benchmark, they have decided to lower the standard to the level of others. Essentially diluting a premium service that BA is recognised for. I firmly believe, however, that the whole thing will go full circle, and that in time (not immediately, but in 2 or 3 years perhaps) they will restore the seat pitch/width/recline once again. Of course, nobody will ever admit that they got it wrong.

Now this takes me on to the point of this thread. 5 of my next shorthaul bookings are in Euro Traveller (with exit seats selected for every flight!). A friend of mine who works for Qantas and travels often with BA has told me that it’s perfectly OK to ask for a second drink. That seems perfectly reasonable to me, if you consider that a band 3 flight for example, can last about 2 hours. The thing is, is it being greedy? In the past I’ve always been reluctant to ask, feeling that it’s asking a bit too much.

Also, I’m quite a considerate person, and I know how hard the cabin crew work on some of these flights. The last thing that I want to do is put on my light to request another drink, only to start a domino effect of other passengers requesting further drinks!

So the main question is....Is it acceptable to ask for a 2nd (or even 3rd!) drink on a Euro Traveller flight?

Your comments will be considered very carefully in helping me decide
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Yes, you can ask for as many drinks as you like (if you're not inebriated ).
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The standard SCCM introduction just after take-off - which I am sure you must have heard by now - makes it very clear that you can ask for extra drinks either by going to the galley or by pressing the call bell. There are reports of some rationing on certain drinks (notably out of LGW) but I've never seen it myself. Soft drinks definitely ok.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Some announce that you can request additional drinks using the call bell or going to the galley.

It's certainly allowed and if you're polite about it they're unlikely to refuse.

My personal rules are:

1) Ensure the full service has been completed (so you're sure you're not holding up anyone else).
2) Will either go to the galley or ask them when walking past that if they have time would it be possible to have another drink.

I tend not to use call bells, but that's what they're there for as long as you don't go overboard.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; M&M FT
As somebody how travels ET fairly regularly (about every two weeks), I have noticed that BA now often announces sth along the lines of "Do not hesitate to ask if you would like another drink by using the call button or visiting the galley" - even on very short flights like DUS or HAJ - so I assume it's perfectly acceptable. This announcement has not existed before if I recall correctly, even though I have never been refused a second drink.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I rarely ask for a second drink out of consideration for the cabin crew, but I am in a minority.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
I rarely ask for a second drink out of consideration for the cabin crew, but I am in a minority.
Yes Southlondonbonviveur, that's my point....that's how I feel too. Although I have heard them announce that you can ask for more, nobody else seems to bother. I find it quite strange!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
If theres no crew in the aisles walking up and down then I just go along to the galley and ask and they are always happy to give me another Heineken
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: ABBA
Not ET, but I managed 3 cans of tiger on a Belfast flight once
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Carlson, IHG Gold
I fly a mix of ET and CE almost weekly, and I'm also a bit of a coke fiend (the fizzy type)... And I never ask for another can, although I also have that whole English not wanting to put anyone out mentality!!

I don't think I've ever heard them specifically mention the asking for more than one drink thing?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I am nearly always in ET and nearly always ask. Sometimes the crew offer when the trolley is heading back to the galley.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Out of interest, would they object to someone asking for two drinks at the start of the service instead?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I've had 'seconds' volunteered to me on the last flights back from LBA & MAN (admittedly only 40 odd on the flight) and a beer with 2 brandy chasers from BRU.

Weren't being volunteered on the slightly longer flight from Faro, but they were more than happy to provide when I traipsed back to the galley.

I gather being smiley and friendly goes a long way to getting your drinks replenished
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
No justtheone. I regularly ask for 2 Heineken on domestic flights and sometimes a 3rd depending on how quickly I get through those 2 or how thirsty I am

Last edited by Jamier45; Sep 29, 2014 at 8:49 am
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JustTheOne
Out of interest, would they object to someone asking for two drinks at the start of the service instead?
Good question!

Austrian proactively ask if you want 2 drinks during the service

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.