Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Infants on LCY>JFK route

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Since its inception thought this route isn't only targeted at the business traveller. After the first 12 months of service this has become quite regularly one of the bargain JFK Sale Fares and is also a good one for Avios redemption, which shows that topping up the service with well heeled leisure pax is also important for its survival.

While im sure many at BA would love it to be filled with full fare paying business pax - these days this isn't the case sadly.

While seats are regularly available for <£1400 then you'll get more and more holiday makers - with and without kids in tow.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
In the case of the JFK-LCY flight, which is specifically targeting business travellers seeking a good night's sleep ...
Which section of the fare rules includes this bit?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
but I thought that's already the case on BA 1 - 4(?)
+1. It is indeed, as I stated above....
Is it?

Here's a section from the fare rules of one fare that I found very quickly that seems to be valid for travel on LCY-JFK:-
Code:
CHILDREN DISCOUNTS

FARE RULE
CNN/ACCOMPANIED CHILD PSGR 2-11 - CHARGE 75 PERCENT OF
  THE FARE.
      TICKET DESIGNATOR - CH.
  MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS BY ADULT PSGR.
OR - INS/INFANT WITH A SEAT PSGR UNDER 2 - CHARGE 75
       PERCENT OF THE FARE.
           TICKET DESIGNATOR - CH.
       MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS BY ADULT
         PSGR.
OR - INF/INFANT WITHOUT A SEAT PSGR UNDER 2 - CHARGE 10
       PERCENT OF THE FARE.
           TICKET DESIGNATOR - IN.
         PSGR.
OR - UNN/UNACCOMPANIED CHILD PSGR 5-11 - CHARGE 100
       PERCENT OF THE FARE.
           TICKET DESIGNATOR - UM.
The fare is IR07AP for AMS-NYC.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: FT
It's your bad luck - I've flown on this route a number of times (with my own children a few times ) and have never encountered this problem.

If the SS at JFK and the pilot/crew who felt that it was not appropriate for people to travel with infants on this route have executive responsibility within IAG / BA on who should be sold tickets for the flight, then they can simply not permit children or infants to be sold tickets. However, they don't, and it is public transport. However, they do discourage children and infants through not giving a discount on the base fare for BA1-4, which they do on other TATL flights.

Ear plugs and noise cancelling ear phones do the trick for me, and it also blocks out the loud snoring, which I find to be more of a problem.

Karfa - I agree with you on a great many things but on this we'll have to disagree. It sounds like the employees, trying to be empathetic, were going against the corporate policy which is that it is public transport, and anyone with the cash can fly on it. I had issue with a 747 captain who, upon signing the children's logbooks, said "they've flown BA1, the parents must have more money than sense", not realising that I was sitting in the row behind the cockpit. Personal opinions should be personal opinions, but what is said to customers should be the party line.
exactly in all respects.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is it?

Here's a section from the fare rules of one fare that I found very quickly that seems to be valid for travel on LCY-JFK:-
Code:
CHILDREN DISCOUNTS

FARE RULE
CNN/ACCOMPANIED CHILD PSGR 2-11 - CHARGE 75 PERCENT OF
  THE FARE.
      TICKET DESIGNATOR - CH.
  MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS BY ADULT PSGR.
OR - INS/INFANT WITH A SEAT PSGR UNDER 2 - CHARGE 75
       PERCENT OF THE FARE.
           TICKET DESIGNATOR - CH.
         PSGR.
OR - INF/INFANT WITHOUT A SEAT PSGR UNDER 2 - CHARGE 10
       PERCENT OF THE FARE.
           TICKET DESIGNATOR - IN.
         PSGR.
OR - UNN/UNACCOMPANIED CHILD PSGR 5-11 - CHARGE 100
       PERCENT OF THE FARE.
           TICKET DESIGNATOR - UM.
The fare is IR07AP for AMS-NYC.
I typed in a LCY - JFK vs LHR - JFK for an adult, a child, and an infant, and the fare was the same for all three LCY - JFK.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:29 am

I typed in a LCY - JFK vs LHR - JFK for an adult, a child, and an infant, and the fare was the same for all three LCY - JFK.
LON-domiciled infants aren't welcome on BA1/2/3/4, those infants in transit from AMS are welcome*?

* plus the infant children of LON-based TP runners, of course
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I said: "The fare is IR07AP for AMS-NYC."

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 1, 2019 at 6:56 am Reason: Image removed at original author's request
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by KenJohn
One airline comes to mind and only partially. MH does not allow infants in First Class.
They got a lot of stick for this but judging by the comments made on this forum, there is a lot to be said for it.
And what a great example of a well run airline Malaysian is.

Even before MH17 and MH370, wasn't MH one of the worst performing airlines in the world? Isn't majority state owned, through a state investment vehicle? Wern't they suffering from empty seats and discounting, even prior to this year?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Since its inception thought this route isn't only targeted at the business traveller. After the first 12 months of service this has become quite regularly one of the bargain JFK Sale Fares and is also a good one for Avios redemption, which shows that topping up the service with well heeled leisure pax is also important for its survival.
It is also more convenient for people who live in Essex and surrounds to get to LCY than it is for them to get to LHR.

Commercial flights are pubic transport, therefore the full cross section of the public including infants are permitted on board.

I will repeat the advice I usually give when someone complains that they don't like some aspect of air travel or think certain passengers should do certain things even when there is no airline or legal (or moral) requirement for them to do so:

The easiest way for you to get what you want is for you to charter your own airplane for your travel needs. Then you can decide when you go and who if anyone travels with you.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I just checked the IR07AP AMS-JFK fare too - and I'm not seeing the routing or flight application restriction I would expect to see either. The UK fares are still filed separately for LHR and LCY, as they have been since the CWLCY service started - the AMS fare is either misfiled or intentionally doesn't have the infant/child discount exclusion.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JAXBA
... the AMS fare is either misfiled or intentionally doesn't have the infant/child discount exclusion.
I suspect the latter, as the same applies to fares from many ex-EU points, including points that have no flights to LCY (eg VIE).
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Yes infants and children need to be banned from F and BA1-4.

I don't really care if kids pay twice the adult fare or not. Children have a much higher risk of involuntarily and uncontrollably disturbing all other pax in the cabin than an adult. BA cannot reasonably ban an infant from flying whereas an adult passenger causing similar disturbance can be warned and eventually banned.

For those who counter that snorers also disturb the whole cabin: (i) they are far less audible than a baby screaming; (ii) they can use nasal strips and/or have surgery if this is a continued problem. If someone is snoring loudly I feel the CC should wake them to prevent disturbing other pax. This is clearly not an option with a child who is awake and crying.

Public transport does not mean the operator has no say over who can fly or in what cabin. The operator simply needs to make rules and apply them uniformly.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:13 am

As usual, infants, children, snorers should be allowed on aircraft, but only in someone else's cabin to disturb other people that aren't me. me. me. me.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Originally Posted by angatol
As usual, infants, children, snorers should be allowed on aircraft, but only in someone else's cabin to disturb other people that aren't me. me. me. me.
^

I agree with creampuff - if you don't like having infants in your cabin on your flight, charter a private jet.

This thread links nicely with another current thread - at the end of the day, companies prioritise revenue over loyalty.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by angatol
Just to point out that I have never flown on and never expect to fly on BA's LCY<>JFK services!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.